Notices

How to establish TDC on D-series minime Y8 head?

Old 10-31-2003, 11:48 AM
SpecialED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to establish TDC on D-series minime Y8 head?

I'm building a standard D16A6 block/D16Y8 head hybrid.

How do I line up the head for TDC on #1? I know I'm in the range b/c all the valves on #1 are loose, but not sure what the reference points would be to get it exact.

Are the two notches on the cam gear supposed to line up with line formed by the bottom of the head/top of the block, or the two triangular arrows that are molded into the two sides of the plastic face that bolts to the front of the block with a 10mm-headed bolt?

Again this is a '96-up EX head on a '88-91 Si/CRX Si block.
Old 10-31-2003, 11:56 AM
menappi

not sure but i know on the a6, the bottom middle mark is supposed to line up with that mark on the cover, and the two horizontal marks are to be sorta crooked, unless your cam gear was removed. mine was, and i just put a wooden dowel into my number 1 cylinder and turned the crank until the dowel moved up (tdc of number 1 cyliner). sorry if im not much help.
Old 10-31-2003, 12:06 PM
SpecialED

Hey, thanks for trying. Yeah, the problem is with the incorrect head on the A6 block (with the newer gen cam gear) there's no mark that lines up with that notch in the plastic cover.

I've got TDC set on the block - nothing's changed down there, so I can still reference the notch on the edge of the timing belt gear on the crank to the arrow on the block.

The problem is figuring out what the corresponding position of the cam/valves is in the head.
Old 10-31-2003, 04:22 PM
crxb16er

lol its not easy, first of all when u put the head on u can "lock" the #1 piston in place and make sure it doesnt move until the head is installed and then obviously ur set up at tdc, next if the head is already on u can place a long extension, board, other object into the cylinder thru the spark plug hole (obviously make sure no debris fall into the cylinder) go to the highest point of the stroke, on the #1 cylinder and ur gonna be on either the intake stroke or exhaust stroke, so its a 50/50 from there, hopefully ur crankshaft pulley is marked so u can adjust the camshaft off of that mark. good luck putting it all back together.
Old 11-02-2003, 08:29 AM
hondatech
Honda tech/eprom hackr

look at your cam on number one, the lobe should face outwards when you are on tdc.
Old 11-02-2003, 10:44 AM
Vividkid82

from back in the day, setting up cams...the only way to do it right is to set the #1 at top dead center, then find the specs for that cam and get a degreewheel and degree your cams because they should be set at a specific degree...there has to be some sort of notch or somthing to determine the degreeing on it.
Old 11-02-2003, 12:59 PM
bustah49
Mr. Motorhead

allighn them with the 2 triangles. just did a mini-me swap
Old 11-03-2003, 10:54 AM
hondatech
Honda tech/eprom hackr

lol, degree wheels are for V8's. You could do it that why if you want but it would be overkill. If it's a SOHC Honda it shouldn't be this amount of trouble, do what I said use and watch the lobe of the cam, it will be pointing outward and the rockers will be loose, use a dowel if you need reinforcment that it is at TDC. you should only need to do this to get it right.