Notices

Just installed AC, Idle problem......

Old 10-19-2003, 05:28 PM
Mekode

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just installed AC, Idle problem......

I just got my AC install, and I have a Idle problem...when I drove the car home from the shop with the AC on the idle seems to drop down really low and my "check engine" light comes on....it seem like the car is about to shut off on me, I think it's the Idle speed sensor, ...I think that's what it's called or is it Idle control Sensor....not sure.....if anyone knows the problem, please let me know......thanx
Michael
Old 10-19-2003, 07:05 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

There is a sensor that raises the idle when the AC is switched on. If the shop didn't install it, that's the reason.
Old 10-19-2003, 07:46 PM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

The A/C compressor runs off a belt attached to the crank pulley. So that is parasitic load and now your car has to work harder to keep its idle. I would adjust the idle screw on your throttle body.
Old 10-19-2003, 08:24 PM
crxb16er

yeppers fourthgenhatch has it as always, ur gonna want to pull off the eavc plug on the intake manifold its the one on the backside of the manifold, and then turn the car on, with it on adjust the idle by the idle adjustment screw on the intake manifold. raise it up a little and then turn the car off reattach the eavc plug, pull the warning fuse (red 10 amp fuse) in the fuse box under the hood to reset the ecu to get rid of the problem code for having the eavc detached and u should be good to go. if not raise the idle higher, and make sure u check the belt deflection on the air conditioning pump, its always good to check the shops work, make sure its tight but not too tight, u should be able to turn the belt about sideways to its original position but no more than that. thats how u know its down to the right belt deflection. anyways hopefully thatll solve ur problems, ur always supposed to recheck the idle after pretty much any time u play with anything under the engine bay but of course noone ever does, and especially not some shop that has to move onto the next paying customer.
Old 10-19-2003, 08:44 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Raising the idle will do the job, but it will also raise the overall idle when the A/C is not on.

There are actual parts that raise the idle automatically, but if you don't want to put them in raising the idle will work too. It's just not the best way to go about it.
Old 10-20-2003, 06:28 PM
Mekode

Thanx for the replies, but Kai, what is that sensor that you are talking about?