Notices

my fan doesnt come on!

Old 10-17-2003, 10:42 PM
menappi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my fan doesnt come on!

alrite heres my problem, my radiator fan wont come on. i start my car, let it idle for 10 minutes, even gas it a littel until it reaches about 210 degrees, and it wont come on. ive checked-

fuse
relay (even though i dont know how to check to see if its good or not , how do i do that??)
i completed the curcuit with teh two wires that connect to the thermoswitch and it still wouldtn come on when the car was on

so im thinking a wire is messed up somewhere. shoud i just hook up the fan directly to the battery and put a switch in my dash? help!
Old 10-18-2003, 08:26 AM
WhiteRice

Is your fan motor fried???

You've completed the circuit w/the two wires....that was going to be my other suggestion.
Old 10-18-2003, 11:33 AM
crxb16er

do a check of the motor, just touch the wire to the battery positive terminal. if the motor comes on obviously its circuitry or wiring, if it doesnt kick in time to go buy a new fan they can run anywhere from 50-70 bucks new for a good replacement 12 inch fan
Old 10-18-2003, 12:08 PM
menappi

i completed the circuit between the two wires that conenct to the thermoswitch, both with the car off and running, and the fan still didnt come on. yes the fan works, i hooked it up to my battery. i used a voltmeter to check the wires and i think the wires are crossing somewhere in teh wiring. hard for me to explain but there crossing somewhere i believe. im thinking of just putting a switch in there. how would i do that, since obviously theres no power going through that wire on the switch. and what about the relay, how can i test that?
Old 10-18-2003, 12:57 PM
S2Kev

Did you blow a fuse?
Old 10-18-2003, 03:10 PM
menappi

no fuses blown as i stated in my first post. its not the obvious, unplugged switch or fuse. im guessing the wiring is messed up but i am not about to tear the harness apart to check. and is the relay behind my passanger headlight for the radiator fan? im thinking about just hooking the fan to my battery and to a switch inside, so i can turn it on. would that be bad? and how would i do it. i dotn knwo shit about electronics. would i need any fuses..what kinda switch, wires??
Old 10-19-2003, 05:22 PM
crxb16er

its probably ur thermo switch gone bad, u can get an after market switch but they are a pita to hook up, id suggest doing what ive done, get some wire, hook it into the acc ignition wire, its the white with blue stripe wire under the dash, and wire it to the engine bay, and then ground the fans onto the frame, its good to use an inline fuse of some sort to avoid an electrical fires just in case the wires get worn, or damaged because u dont want to short circuit the thing but thats all u have to do, that will make it so that whenever ur key is in the ignition the fans will be going, since my car also has a turbo timer i can adjust it so that the fans dont turn off as the car does but u can be quite crafty with the situation, have fun and hit me up if u want any insight.