Notices

Help on Fuel Pump

Old 10-16-2003, 04:39 PM
Uncle Bubba

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help on Fuel Pump

Just bought a 90 Civic DX with a few problems. The one that is looming large right now is:

At speeds over 65 or slightly below that going uphill, car hesitates like it is not getting fuel. I changed fuel filter and put some crap into gas to clean lines (does this stuff actually work?).

Seemed to work somewhat. Got car up to 75 fine. Still some hesitation uphill but not as bad.

As soon as I think problem solved 100 miles later, car dies. I coast to the breakdown lane, stop car, starts right up again and off I go.

Any ideas? I'm thinking fuel pump, but wanted to know if it might be something else a little cheaper.

If it is fuel pump, is it easily accessible or is it in the tank like my Explorer, and how hard is it to switch out.

Thanks in Advance.
Old 10-17-2003, 08:08 AM
crxb16er

it can be any variety of things, do a basic tune up, change out the fuel filter, u can test the fuel pump to check to see if its working correctly, get a fuel pressure gauge and mount it to the banjo bolt assembly off the fuel filter, but more than likely its a spark plug or cap and rotor issue, ive seen that cause the problems ur seeing more often than none
Old 10-17-2003, 11:03 AM
jc836

IF by some odd chance you have done the above and the problem persists-it could be the dreaded MAIN relay problem or a bad Ign switch. A basic tuneup will be of benefit anyway. As for the Injector cleaner in the fuel-yes they can be useful. The fuel pump will either run or die completely, but that failure is more rare actually.
Old 10-20-2003, 04:45 PM
Uncle Bubba

Thanks for the info. I pilled into my autoparts store today to buy tuneup stuff and it died and won't start. Going to work onit in the morning. Hopefully it's simple, but knowing my luck these last few days it probably isn't.
Old 10-21-2003, 10:57 AM
crxb16er

its normally something so simple that u hate urself after u find it. lol ive spent days only to notice i forgot to connect a wire or some stupid crap like that, rewired an entire electrical system to only then look at the blown fuse right in front of me... crap like that
Old 10-21-2003, 02:37 PM
malfuncion
Z20 H8R

^--- WORD....
Old 10-22-2003, 06:08 AM
Uncle Bubba

Looks like it was the rotor. All coroded and bent. See how it runs today.
Old 10-22-2003, 12:18 PM
crxb16er

yeppers thats a point for me on the rotor.