Notices

TEMP guage install HELP!

Old 10-15-2003, 10:07 PM
menappi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TEMP guage install HELP!

alrite ive searched and searched and have found alot of different information, none helping me. i have an autometer electronic water temp guage. i thought that i could just tap into the stock wiring but i guesse it wont be accurate, so im wondering exactly how i can get the sender that came with it into wherever it needs to go. ive heard it needs to go into the THERMOSTAT, but no sure. i need specifics and where they are. i am not willing to drlil into anything and retap it, im sure theres a way without doing that. anyone?
Old 10-16-2003, 08:37 AM
jc836

The simple answer is that it replaces the stock sender. It is uner the distributor and has 1 wire on it. The easiest way to wire it is to run a wire from the sender directly to the gauge. DO NOT try to use the Autometer sender for the stock gauge and the new one. They are not the same and you won't need the cluster gauge anymore anyway <G>. That is what I did. DO NOT cut the stock wiring-just tiewrap it out of the way-no harm. You can get power from any switched source on the dash fuse box.
Old 10-16-2003, 11:08 AM
menappi

so i cant use the sender that came with the guage? that doesnt make sense. i heard the stock sender isnt accurate. ?
Old 10-16-2003, 01:29 PM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

I would get an adapter or something to make it work where the bleeder screw thing is. Thats where I hear most people put it. Go to honda-tech.com, there are more people there to answer your questions.
Old 10-17-2003, 03:54 AM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally posted by menappi
so i cant use the sender that came with the guage?
Not for both the stock and the Autometer guages. You can use it for, and only for, the new gauge.

What size it the sender threaded for? I just installed a mech. temp gauge in my car, I had to drill and tap a spot for in in 1/4" NPT (1/4"x18), but the electro senders might be smaller.

For some reason, those tiny bleeder screws don't sound like a good location to me. Are the electro senders really that small?
Old 10-17-2003, 11:06 AM
jc836

What I said was to use the AUotmeter sender-BUT put in in inplace of the stock one. Do NOT use the stock sender with the Autometer gauge/and do not use the Autometer sender with the stock gauge. The Autometer sender will screw into the stock location without adaptors if it is electric-which yours is. Hope that explains it.