Notices

swap question

Old 10-15-2003, 07:18 PM
Redlinerz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default swap question

I got some guy who just came to me and wants me to put a 87 Integra engine into his 89 4 door civic..To me it looks like all mounts are fine except the drivers side engine mount. There is a BIG ass difference..My question is..is this swap possible without custom making a mount? and If I gotta make a mount about how hard would it be. I will also appreciate it if anyone seen a site where this has been done to send me a link. Thanks ALOT!
Old 10-15-2003, 09:45 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

You don't want to do that. The trans mount is different, and most if not all of the others are different too. That engine also uses a completely different pre-OBD computer system with a vacuum advance distributor. That engine will swap straight into an 84-87 body, but will be hard as hell to put in an 88+. The D16A1 is a browntop ZC pattern engine, you would need a blacktop for a direct swap.

Mind you, the '87 Integra D16A1 is only a 112hp engine. It's not worth all the suffering the swap would cause.
Old 10-16-2003, 04:39 PM
Redlinerz

it is not for me...for someone else...and his car is dpfi so I was gonna switch the whole harness over over..(from ecu to engine)...He does not want the acura tranny because it is a automatic..so he wants to use his dx 5spd..anyone know anything about that drivers side mount???
Old 10-16-2003, 07:33 PM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

Not going to work. And to make it takes a lot more work than its worth for that pos engine.
Old 10-17-2003, 03:03 AM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally posted by Redlinerz
it is not for me...for someone else...and his car is dpfi so I was gonna switch the whole harness over over..(from ecu to engine)...He does not want the acura tranny because it is a automatic..so he wants to use his dx 5spd..anyone know anything about that drivers side mount???
I don't think you quite understand what this swap entails. It requires backdating the entire car to a fuel injection system older then, and very different from, OBD-0. The mounts are completely different and would require a lot of work to fabricate ones that will. That ZC was ment to interchange mount points with EW/EV (later D15A3 and D13A2) engines, while the later 88+ Civic/CRX blacktop uses the new 88+ mount points. If your friend wants an engine like a US D16A1, he needs a JDM blacktop Civic/CRX ZC. Note, the blacktop Integra ZC, both US and Japanese, will not work either.
Old 10-19-2003, 01:49 PM
Redlinerz

Won't he have to only worry about one mount though? Since he plans on keeping the civic trans..The fuel system point does make sense though I will have to explain that to him as well. So I can't just do the wiring as if I were going from dpfi to mpfi? Also since I have the whole car I can just take the whole harness and switch that and shouldn't all the electrical and fuel system be ok? The way I am seeing it is the 1 mount is my major concern and I have a friend that works in a machine shop so we can come up with something? But kai shouldn't it be ok if I just switch EVERYTHING (ecu to engine harness, and all engine componets in the bay) over to his? Thanks
Old 10-19-2003, 02:30 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

It is a stupid swap, period. Nothing bolts up or swaps and it is still a weak, old engine.

If you want to try it, feel free.
Old 10-20-2003, 10:06 AM
Redlinerz

Listen kai I ALREADY SAID "NOT FOR ME" ok I am not doing this swap someone wants me o do it and is gonna pay me to do it. If it is psiible I will do it and charge him. Learn to read! I don't care if it is strong or whatever IT IS NOT FOR MY CAR! I was just asking simple questions. And for future reference don't get stupid with me again I don't appreaciate it, especially coming from someone who's car is still a project. Think about it you are trying to make money buy doind swaps and what not. If someone comes to your with something and is gonna pay you who am I to tell them no not to do it. I advised him already and told him it wont be worth it but he still wants it. What am I going to do refuse? NO I will do it it is his problem not mine. So don't come at me sideways!!
Old 10-21-2003, 07:13 AM
GsrRex88

Go to resource.crx.org and register.

They are talkign about that swap now and how people have modified the mounts. Ofcourse there are the people who say no one does it for a 4hp gain but it has been done.

Check it out.

-Eric
Old 10-21-2003, 12:09 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

I obviously don't care whos car it is for. Is it that hard to figure out? I wouldn't do the swap even if someone paid me to. Why? Because the second generation ZC is the same damn engine, but it bolts into the 4G Civic body with a real OBD-0 control system. No mount concerns, no major wiring/vaccuum line headaches.

My car is "still a project" because I won't even bring it up from Florida for a few more days.

If you really have your little heart set on doing this, go here: http://www.quickhonda.net/zc2000.htm

Mind you, he used a new ZC head on the old block.