Notices

ZC tranny QUESTION

Old 10-10-2003, 10:05 PM
menappi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZC tranny QUESTION

alrite i have a DOHC zc stamped with the date 87, and i have a 90 crx si tranny. the zc didtn have a transmission on, so im assuming that i just stick my si transmissin on it? well i dont think it will go on there, because teh clutch disk seems to be different? so could i just unbolt the zc one and put on my si one? do i need to switch flywheels too or does it even matter? i dont want to try and have it not work and have to take it all apart again. so any help with how to get my si tranny to work with the zc. i thought i just swapped it in but i guesse not. thanks
Old 10-10-2003, 10:58 PM
jlicrx

you have 88 ZC engine and if it still has the stock clutch, it has 21 splines - your 90 Si transmision has 20 splines - yes, you need to swap flywheels - the 88 clutch is only 190 mm diameter, the 90 is 212mm - 90 clutch won't work on 88 flywheel
Old 10-10-2003, 11:23 PM
menappi

well the clutch bolts up to the flywheel. it looks the same..doesnt look that off? but i didnt measure it. so your sure. man how do i get teh flywheel off those nuts are on there hella tight.
Old 10-11-2003, 01:05 AM
S2Kev

Originally posted by menappi
well the clutch bolts up to the flywheel. it looks the same..doesnt look that off? but i didnt measure it. so your sure. man how do i get teh flywheel off those nuts are on there hella tight.
Get a someone to hold an box end wrench or ratchet and socket on the crankshaft bolt while you remove the bolts on the flywheel.
Old 10-12-2003, 04:54 PM
menappi

the flywheel looks to be exact. are you sure i cant just use the zc flywheel and put my si clutch shit on it? also when puttin the clutch on do i need to align anythin really, or can i just bolt it on and put the tranny on?
Old 10-14-2003, 09:30 AM
S2Kev

Originally posted by menappi
the flywheel looks to be exact. are you sure i cant just use the zc flywheel and put my si clutch shit on it? also when puttin the clutch on do i need to align anythin really, or can i just bolt it on and put the tranny on?
I think you might be able to pull that off using the zc flywheel, your clutch might grab a bit lower though. By lower I mean the friction point is lower when you slowly let the pedal out. Also you should align your clutch, you don't want any crazy wear pattern on friction linings from your clutch not being aligned so your clutch will last longer.