Honda tech/eprom hackr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice to see a "good" story for once.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:29 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BruceF
I purchased my 2000 TL new and it has been the best car Ive ever owned. At 94,000 miles I began to notice symptoms and after making an appointment my TL limed into the dealership one week latter. They gave me a new Acura (500 miles on it) to use while they replaced my tranny, PCM etc.

This is the first instance of trouble with my Acura except for an annoying air bag warnting light for the passenger side which it took severla times to get a fix in that worked.

My car and my dealship are great (Buerkle Acura). Always curteous and they seem to go out of ther way to keep me happy even though I dont spend a lot for sheducled maint except for the big items (I do oil changes, brake pads, plugs, lights etc myself and let them do the tranny and major engine work (just had them do the belts and water pump etc)

I once told them that I refilled the tank to the top on their loaner (where it was when i picked it up). I was told that this was never expected and to leave it empty next time if i liked.

lll go back to acura and the dealership again. Besides being the most reliable car ive ever owned the thing just drives like its glued to the road. I never drive agressively since its stupid to push any mechanical device to its operational limits unnecessarily.

I bought my wife a toyota highlander and im sure its a fine car but frankly the road handling scares me after getting out of my acura.

Will I get 94,000 miles out of the new tranny as well?
Great story, glad you like your car so much. My tranny (same one as yours basically) has 145k on it and she's starting to get pretty bad symptoms. But I can't complain much, NOTHING else on the car has gone wrong.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:57 AM
asianthug_ak47

My dealership isn't very cool. My extended warranty (service contract) includes Free oil change service, but the dealership claims that it is part of the service. At least the service girl is super hot.

My dad's Acura gave him no problem even after way over 300k miles. The dealership, Bradley Acura of Woodbridge VA, is the only place he goes for service. He drives 76 miles for a 25 dollars oil change.

Lexus has the best customer service, but the Toyota dealership around here is full of crooks and thieves. I was suppose to get a MR2 and ended up getting an Accord instead. My first love is a 02 (the last one) Prelude, but there was none left any where around here so I went for an MR2. They gave me nothing but trouble, so I went to Honda and got a Accord for a good deal. 2dr Coupe actually looks like a Prelude.

My wife is pissed at me now since she likes small cars and the Accord is too big. Now I got to save up for a Miata, which is as gay as it gets.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:26 PM
acguy

I went to trade in my 01 CL yesterday. Offered 11K for it, and it is perfect with low mileage(all options except nav). Needless to say, I left, and declined the great offer. Driving home, heavy tranny vibration, and nice ole fluid leak around the drivers axle when I go home. So, what do we have? We have heavy depreciated value, combined with mechanical failure. Nice! I should part it out on ebay......
Old 01-24-2005, 01:40 PM
lordvader
TL/Accord Seeker

Default Nervous

I am getting more and more nervous with regards to the purchase of a 1998-2003 TL. I test drove a 1999 last year which was only $14,999. It had every toy available except for the stock spoiler. I loved the car. The 40 minutes total time I spent in the car made me feel like I was the envy of everyone that drove by. I am sure that was not the case since there is an abundance of much nicer more expensive vehicles, but I am speaking for myself. The feel of the leather wrapped around my butt, the smooth wood on the steering wheel and gear shift, and the brilliant glow of the speedometer at night was unforgettable. I want one.

HOWEVER, after reading complaint after complaint after complaint about what a rotten transmission this generation TL has, I may be shying away. When I do purchase my luxury car, it is going to be a 5-year commitment. Simply stated, I will not be able to afford to pay $2k or $3k to have the transmission fixed AND continue to make monthly payments on a car that does not run.

I need advice. How on earth can I get this dream car of mine into my driveway, along with the assurance that it will get me to work in the morning, and even more importantly, back home? Is there an Acura-Only Used Car Dealership that will stand by their cars, even the ones that are 4 or 5 years old?
Old 01-24-2005, 02:55 PM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

I've had my TL for almost 6 years, no problems whatsoever. When you read online forums, of course you will read those with problems. Plus, the car comes with a 100K mile warranty for the tranny so you don't have to worry about it. As long as you keep up basic maintenance and don't abuse it, you should be fine.
Comptech Icebox, Headers, Exhaust, Lowering Springs and Sway Bars. Mugen front grille. Inspire tailamps. MOMO Sport 18 X 7.5 +42 offset. Axxis Metal Master front/rear pad. 2 Polk/MOMO 10" subs, Orion Xtreme 500.4 amplifier and Alpine CD changer.

Old 01-25-2005, 10:25 AM
lordvader
TL/Accord Seeker

Default Hey Acura TL

Are you saying that Acura backs the 1998-2003 TL, regardless of whether or not it is purchased used? So if I purchase one from a non-Acura dealer, and the tranny goes bad on it at 80k miles, I can go to any ACURA dealer and say, 'I have a bad transmission. Please fix it.' Even though I did not purchase the vehicle from an Acura dealer? In other words, the tranny warranty follows the CAR no matter where it is purchased?
Old 01-25-2005, 11:42 AM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

To the best of my knowledge, yes. But it is best to check with Acura themself before buying the vehicle. By the way, the 2nd generation TL is from 1999 to 2003.
Comptech Icebox, Headers, Exhaust, Lowering Springs and Sway Bars. Mugen front grille. Inspire tailamps. MOMO Sport 18 X 7.5 +42 offset. Axxis Metal Master front/rear pad. 2 Polk/MOMO 10" subs, Orion Xtreme 500.4 amplifier and Alpine CD changer.

Old 01-25-2005, 11:59 AM
lordvader
TL/Accord Seeker

Default Mistake

Oh, my fault. I did mean the 1999 to 2003. Thanks for the correction. Would you mind reading and responding to my TL versus CL post? You seem to know a lot about these vehicles.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:20 AM
acutee

Default Faulty Transmission

I am sure all of us want the transmission problem TO BE FIXED, not just extended the warranty. Extended warranty is just a trick in a way of not fixing the problem. Even if the vehicle is over 100k or out of warranty. THIS IS NOT ABOUT WARRANTY REPAIR. They should fix this KNOWN PROBLEM at any time when it occurs because the problem was never fixed in the first place. Or they should fix it correctly now and don't extend the warranty. Do you all think they would extend the warranty if there is no problem? I don't think so. Extended warranty is a smart way to get consumers pay for (Honda/Acura) manufacturer's problem when they call it OUT OF WARRANTY. Remember, warranty fixes any unexpected problems, NOT KNOWN PRROBLEMS. Known problems are considered "DEFECTIVE MATERIAL WORKMANSHIP" and SHOULD BE FIXED PROPERLY regardless of warranty.

My point of view that they told us 1.6% have problem is to fool us. It is 100% problem, but they can't admit it unless they want to close down the business. However, they figured how many owners are really utilizing the vehicles to the vehicles' full extend and vehicles' ability that these vehicles were built for. Take one example, some of us don't even dare to use the Sport Shift anymore to avoid transmission problem. I am sure some of those owners who are really taking care of their vehicles, don't drive over 75mph, only speed up gratually to not hurt the engine, drive 35 mph in surface streets, such and such, will be regreted when it's time for the known problems to show. And it is too bad your cars are now not under warranty. over 7years or over 100k or voided by accident.

Quick Reply: Honda/Acura V6 Tranny Warranty Extended