Notices

Honda/Acura V6 Tranny Warranty Extended

Old 05-27-2004, 05:22 PM
hondatech
Honda tech/eprom hackr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Everyone except the actual tech is an "Expert" on H-A...

Hey "Better than the dealership", I'm an ASE master tech too. Who gives a shit, that doesn't make you a good technician it means you can take a test. If you are so much better than everyone start your own car company. I'm sure Honda motor company is scared that they would lose business to you. Don't attack me personally because you're butthurt at Honda. I don't care to get into pissing matches on this forum. If you knew me personally you wouldn't make comments about my skill level or what training I have my work would speak volumes as to what a great technician I am. I love when the same customers come into my dealership and ask for me by name. That offsets anything you could ever say on here.

On another note, Acura sales are up last two quarters due to the new TL and TSX sales.(I thought Honda was losing market share???). Honda is one of the best saleing cars in the market, where are you getting your info from??? There are waiting lists in California for the top models all the time..

To comment on the other post about transmissions, let's see. Yes, there was a problem with certain Acura TL/CL transmissions. Yes, they took care of it. To say Honda had poor acknowledgement of the problem you are flat WRONG! they more than acknowledged the problem and they came up with a fix.If you think that the warrenty extension wasn't good enough you are living outside of reality. NO other car maker would have given that much. If you think that transmissions never go bad your also not living in reality. Every car maker has had transmission problems, this is nothing new. If you think switching to another car make will keep you out of the shop you are sadly mistaken.

BTW, TL never had a 3.5l engine.
When you say it bothers you that ppl on here continue to "downplay" these tranny problems it makes me think that it bothers me to see ppl "upplay" the tranny problem by falsely describing symtoms, I.E. shifting from 5th to 2nd while going 65mph. That's just B.S., you don't even OWN a TL/CL or Accord but you are on here describing symtoms like they happened to you or something. Do you even have ANY first hand knowledge to add to the table or are you just going to repeat what someone else said?
I have worked on Honda-Acuras for years at the dealership level and I have replaced many transmissions. The problem is a 3rd gear clutch pack, that will not cause a 5th to 2nd downshift ever. If you want to listen to someone who doesn't own an Acura or Honda, doesn't even know what engine came in the TL/CL or Acoord then go ahead, I deal with them everyday and Honda's are great...
Old 05-27-2004, 05:33 PM
Mr Hyde
Accord Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by dentalrav
(except the RL - made in Japan and all).
Ummm FYI; the trannies in question are the only major component of the cars that come from Japan.

The TL-S / The 540i
Old 05-27-2004, 05:53 PM
Mr Hyde
Accord Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by hondatech
To say Honda had poor acknowledgement of the problem you are flat WRONG! they more than acknowledged the problem and they came up with a fix.If you think that the warrenty extension wasn't good enough you are living outside of reality. NO other car maker would have given that much. If you think that transmissions never go bad your also not living in reality. Every car maker has had transmission problems, this is nothing new. If you think switching to another car make will keep you out of the shop you are sadly mistaken.
I disagree. Honda themselves started a recall to inspect, modify, and replace as necessary the trannies on the MDX, Pilot, and Odyssey, so obviously to them, in their family haulers, a warranty extension on its own wasnt good enough. I feel the TL/CL should have been included. There have been to many multiple tranny stories from TL/CL.com to believe that the trannies were fixed when the problems first started. Also the fact that many 03's were affected also leads me to believe that if indeed a real permanent solution was found, it was only put into play later on.

Every car maker has its transmission problems; but in this case, clearly Honda knows the problem is more than whats considered normal.

After the failure, I worried that my tranny would fail while at speed on the highway; before making it to the dealer, my car was slipping into, and out of gear. While the 3rd gear clutch pack was identified as the main culprit, there have definitely been cases of symptoms/signs in other shifts as well.

I didnt have any faith that the replacement tranny was any better than the original, and if it did make it another 55k to my warranty expiration, it would probably go out after that. The trannies have no warranty on themselves. If a tranny is replaced with 90k on the clock, its still out of warranty after 100k.

I originally planned to keep this car well past 100k like my previous cars, but felt I'd get stuck with a pretty big bill if the tranny went out of warranty. That, and the general change in my feelings towards, and about the car led me to trade it in while she was still worth something.

The TL-S / The 540i
Old 05-27-2004, 05:58 PM
acguy

Honda lovers,
Read and weep and acknowledge Hondatech's condescending approach to the web posts, his language, and his total offensive posture. This is the culture at American Honda, so get a good look at one of your product support professionals! I can openly express this as culture, because, the dude that raked me on the brake rotors, well he sounded just like techie. And *Dude* (in Georgia, we say "bless your heart" to dumbasses), Sales growth rates of new models has nothing to do whatsoever with market share. And the shortages in Cali. only means distribution costs there are much higher.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:11 PM
hondatech
Honda tech/eprom hackr

Mr. hyde, the TL/CL tranny's are different then the MDX, pilot, ody., it's a totally different problem. And like before they are taking care of it....

acguy, don't throw stones in a glass house buddy, you slammed me and I never said a word about you personally. Look up condescending and offensive that's what your last two posts were. Not only have you attacked me but also others in this thread when we have said something you don't agree with. Consider what forum you are in and then you shouldn't be surprised when ppl in here actually like Honda's. There is no "culture" and I have no idea what the hell you are refering to. I guess making up labels is what you do when you don't agree with others, you should learn some life skills in social interaction. I can see why you got denied warrenty at your dealership, you probably acted as you are on this thread. I think if you put more energy into being a little less of a jerk and called Acura's 800 number you would get the rotors fixed for free but I guess coming in here and slamming Honda's and everyone who likes them is seems more productive to you...
Old 05-27-2004, 11:42 PM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

Hey, i don't care if you guys want to argue about cars, but if you start making personal attacks, you are gone. Please respect the board and each other, that's all I am asking from you guys.
Comptech Icebox, Headers, Exhaust, Lowering Springs and Sway Bars. Mugen front grille. Inspire tailamps. MOMO Sport 18 X 7.5 +42 offset. Axxis Metal Master front/rear pad. 2 Polk/MOMO 10" subs, Orion Xtreme 500.4 amplifier and Alpine CD changer.

Old 06-08-2004, 08:09 AM
hondatech
Honda tech/eprom hackr

The whole thread is full of misinformation. Some is true but alot is garbage. It's sad that ppl will read the thread and get false information about this issue.
Old 06-09-2004, 07:53 AM
CLpower

hondatech, if they hace solved the problem, how come there are still numerous people blowing up even there new trannies?
Old 06-09-2004, 10:09 PM
hondatech
Honda tech/eprom hackr

I never said they didn't or don't have a problem. Nobody is arguing that... I'm saying that alot of the systoms being described by ppl posting at not true and they are repeating a story and putting their own spin on it. Remember playing telephone as kids?? I think that everyone can agree that we would like to keep this forum knowledgable. That's is what I am trying to say, I work on these all day long and worked on the Honda side awhile ago too. I have a personal friend who works at Honda's techline dept. in Torrance, CA. who sees it all. We talk once or twice a week about all the problems honda has/is having. As of this post, the tranny's that are being rebuilt now are fixed and should not have a problem again. In the begining the rebuilt tranny's had the same problem as the original's and they were not sure why they were breaking or how to fix it. Now they have upgraded the 3rd clutch pack.
None of my tranny's are coming back for another tranny. I did my best friends CL and he's got another 30k on his with no problems.
Old 06-13-2004, 04:07 PM
asianthug_ak47

My tranny fluid is overfilled. I noticed it around 19k miles. I took it back to the dealer and they agreed with me but suggest I take it back another day so they can tell whether it is worth flushing the entire system out and filled in with new fluid. The fluid was clean. I figured they could just drain a little out.

They sent me a free 27 point inspection coupon. I took my car there and walked around for 30 minutes and the car still parked at the same exact spot. As soon as I stepped inside to pay for a Honda hat, the service girl came and said the car is ready. I was shocked at the scam they pulled. Basically, they just drove the car around the lot once (20 second) and called that a 27-points inspection. In addition to this, they failed to notice the tranny fluid overfill and the cooling fluid underfilled in the past 2 7.5k miles inspection, which cost a lot and is already more than what Honda consider a normal maintenance. I am taking my car to another shop for maintenance from now on.

Honda may makes good car, but Honda dealerships provide crappy service. Their goal is to make your car fail as soon as the warranty expires. They hate people driving the same Honda years after years. It is bad for business.

Quick Reply: Honda/Acura V6 Tranny Warranty Extended