Notices

Honda/Acura V6 Tranny Warranty Extended

Old 02-15-2005, 11:03 AM
pewterpirate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The transmission in my 1999 CL 3.0 went last year. I've bought Honda products for years and never buy the extended warrenty. However, I did puchase the extended warrenty at the time of purchase (1999) for the car as I planned on keeping it for at least 10 years. They replaced the transmission for the cost of the copay ($50.00?). However, I believe with all the problems identified with the transmissions they should replace regardless if the car is covered under warranty or not.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:14 AM
acurarobert

Default Update on 3.2 tranny /brake problems

It is March 2005. I just bought a 2002 3.2 TL, from an Acura dealer as a Certified pre-owned. Onto the highway and ta-da! The transmission problem and warped brake rotors are obvious. "Certified"? a joke. They never even test drove it, let alone fix it. I specifically asked if :Certified" meant all outstanding known problems were taken care of. Answer, an emphatic "yes sir". Forget breach of contract. How about fraud?

So, how are things as of of March 2005? Are the fixes better? I have read all your folks' prior threads.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:26 AM
acurarobert

It is March 2005. I just bought a 2002 3.2 TL, from an Acura dealer as a Certified pre-owned. Onto the highway and ta-da! The transmission problem and warped brake rotors are obvious. "Certified"? a joke. They never even test drove it, let alone fix it. I specifically asked if :Certified" meant all outstanding known problems were taken care of. Answer, an emphatic "yes sir". Forget breach of contract. How about fraud?

So, how are things as of of March 2005? Are the fixes better? I have read all your folks' prior threa
Old 03-07-2005, 02:30 PM
hondatech
Honda tech/eprom hackr

certified doesn't mean it's never going to break.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:37 PM
acurarobert

Understood. But this was defective off the lot.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:45 AM
2003CL

Default 2003CL's Tranny died yesterday

This is my first foray on this site. This thread has been most illuminating as my previously flawless 2003 CL decided to become a bucking bronco yesterday when I kicked it down to pass on the highway. It felt like it went into a lower gear with RPMs up around 6K, but it went back into an appropriate gear immediately when I reflexively let up on the acclerator.

I called the Ferman Acura dealer here in Tampa and told them I was bringing it in for transmission problems. Ten minutes after I arrived I was out the door with a free TL loaner. Kudos to them .

The tranny failed at 45335 miles. They say getting a new one takes 3-5 days.

Ten days earlier, I had the 45K service done. This included the EGR service. I then noticed that the shift from 2d to 3d slipped a little, but otherwise no problem. I figured I'd have them adjust it in a couple of months at 48K when I had the oil changed...

So, as I understand all of this (and thank you AcuraTech and others...) the replacement will incorporate improvements that might decrease the odds of premature failure, and they will warranty the tranny for 7 years/100K.

I have two questions:

Could there be a connection between the EGR service and the subsequent slippage>failure?

Also: I do occasionally use the SportShift. I know that the more you use a clutch, the quicker it has to be replaced, but has a causal relationship between use of the SportShift and tranny failure been established by something other than anecdote?

Thanks for any additional info you might offer.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:10 PM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

The EGR has nothing to do with the tranny. Also, I don't believe the sportshift has anything to do with it as I used it 99% of the time and mine is still fine after close to 6 years.
Comptech Icebox, Headers, Exhaust, Lowering Springs and Sway Bars. Mugen front grille. Inspire tailamps. MOMO Sport 18 X 7.5 +42 offset. Axxis Metal Master front/rear pad. 2 Polk/MOMO 10" subs, Orion Xtreme 500.4 amplifier and Alpine CD changer.

Old 03-23-2005, 03:09 AM
2003CL

Thanks, AcuraTL. I really have liked the CL, and I tend to keep cars well into six digits on the odometer. I saw on some posts (either here or at acl.com or where ever my surfing brought me..) that they might replace the tranny and give a 12m/12k warranty on it instead of the 7yr/100k. That will affect whether a new car is in my cards this year...

Thanks again

Last edited by AcuraTL; 03-23-2005 at 05:04 AM.
Old 03-23-2005, 05:05 AM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

I haven't heard about the 12m/12k warranty yet so it might be a myth. Unless someone on here has a letter from Acura stating so?
Comptech Icebox, Headers, Exhaust, Lowering Springs and Sway Bars. Mugen front grille. Inspire tailamps. MOMO Sport 18 X 7.5 +42 offset. Axxis Metal Master front/rear pad. 2 Polk/MOMO 10" subs, Orion Xtreme 500.4 amplifier and Alpine CD changer.

Old 03-23-2005, 05:51 AM
2003CL

I just got off the phone with Acura (800-382-2238) and spoke with a customer rep. After telling him that my transmission had failed, he asked me for my VIN. He then advised me that my car had a warranty of 4 years, 50,000 miles--there was no extension of warranty. I mentioned that internet websites had made reference to warranty extensions, and his reply was "That's the internet. I am telling you your warranty is 4yrs/50K." I thanked him for his time. I then called the dealer who said that the 2003 CLs had relatively few transmission problems and that depending on the VIN, there may or may not be an extension of the warranty, but that they viewed this on a case-by-case basis. He would get back to me...

Developing...

Quick Reply: Honda/Acura V6 Tranny Warranty Extended