Notices

Acura brake dragging problem

Old 04-14-2005, 06:33 PM
allan37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acura brake dragging problem

I have a 98 Acura 3.5RL that the driver side rear brake pads are dragging. This problem seems to come and go. I have done all the common sense things like clean and lubricate all appropriate caliper parts, assure that pads move freely, and replaced the flexible hose. I'm begining to believe the problem is in one of the ABS system components. None of the other calipers have this problem. Can you help guide me in the right direction to proper diagnosis?
Old 04-15-2005, 01:21 PM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

Do you know if it is the actual brake pad or the parking brake pad? If it is the brake pad, then the piston might be bad.
Comptech Icebox, Headers, Exhaust, Lowering Springs and Sway Bars. Mugen front grille. Inspire tailamps. MOMO Sport 18 X 7.5 +42 offset. Axxis Metal Master front/rear pad. 2 Polk/MOMO 10" subs, Orion Xtreme 500.4 amplifier and Alpine CD changer.

Old 04-20-2005, 07:32 PM
prelude97

How many miles on the car? My guess is a sticking caliper (piston). Replace or rebuild it.

To check if it's the ABS then pull the fuses. There should be 3 or so: Abs Motor, ABS Pump, ABS Unit. You can probably just pull one of them and the system will shut down and u'll get a ABS light. To clear the light put the fuse back in, if that's not enough pull the battery for a minute, if that still doesn't clear it post again.....

Good luck and let us know what it is when u figure it out...
Old 05-02-2005, 10:32 AM
Eyecon82

I've had a similar problem which was remedied easily.

Put your car up on a jack and take out the wheel where you think is the problem. There is this thin metal piece covering the rotors on the inside...make sure it is not touching the rotor or is bent in. Mine was bent in slightly and my rotor would rub against it causing a grinding noise that would come and go