Notices

Cleaned throttle body/plate... i think we've got a problem here.

Old 08-11-2003, 01:00 AM
Samson
chris is the devil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaned throttle body/plate... i think we've got a problem here.

Ok, i cleaned my throttle body with STP TB/Intake Cleaner in a spray can.... ok, so i unscrewed the clamp holding the intake on, and pulled the other end off the filter part... and unplugged the small flexible tube attached to the intake tube it self..... and the intake tube came off.....

then i sprayed the TB, etc.... i did this both with the car off, and on... slowly. Car was fine, let it sit, and started it again... drove it WOT for awhile..... Got home, put back the intake etc... and the problem began. When i started the car again... the RPM's were surging 1k-1.5k every second, constantly.... back and forth... i thought maybe there was still liquid from the can left in there... so i let it sit more, and drove more.... nope didnt help. So i took the intake tubing back off... and let it idle... it idled fine. No surging.... i also noticed when it was surging, when the A/C kicked on, it would stop surging, and as soon as the A/C turned off... it woudl start surging. So tonight im confused... I talked to someone else who said when he installed his AEM CAI incorrectly, he had the same RPM surge problem... and when he corrected it, it was fine... this sounds very similar to my problem because it happens with the intake, and not without..... I was messing with the gas pedal after all this, revving and letting the rpms fall on their own... and the surging problem comes and goes as i do this... almost as if something is sticking, only sometimes, but why would this cause the RPM's to go up and down, and not just get stuck? will this get better as the car sits overnight?

i checked the sensor on top of the TB, says something like Map sensor assym, or something... and i unplugged it to see how the car reacted... its much worse when unplugged... the car doesnt even revv when its unplugged, so i dont think thats the problem.
Someone please help.... im sooooooooo sick of this. h:
Old 08-11-2003, 01:05 AM
JJJ784
No Soup For You!

i've done both, but with no roblems. i've done the stp tb clean for 3 of my family cars and had no problems. when i installed my aem cai, my rpm surged, but after a while, they dropped back to normal. my guess is maybe you sprayed TOO much into the TB???
Old 08-11-2003, 01:09 AM
Samson
chris is the devil

well im hoping it will cure itself as the car sits overnight... but why would the RPM's surge only when the Intake is on.. and be fine with it off?? Just because its harder for the car to breathe with the intake on? The car drives normally... it just happens when the car is in P or N. The can did not say how much to spray... i had very little black carbon come out of the tail pipe... i was wanting/expecting more.... this has just seemed to be a waste. Im not doing anything else like this unless i know it needs to be done. h:]

Im thinking it will get better as the car sits... because when i was first experiencing this problem, it was constant as soon as the car was in P or N, or just sitting... now it only really happens when i mess with the gas pedal, trying to make the car do it.
Old 08-11-2003, 01:19 AM
Samson
chris is the devil

after pics btw
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
picture 098.jpg (62.8 KB, 105 views)
Old 08-11-2003, 03:47 AM
TypeSH

i had rpm surging like that when i had a vacuum leak in the PVC hose. It would surge up, and then the engine would stop itself, and then it would surge again.

not sure if it helps, but that was what happened when i had a vacuum leak.
Old 08-11-2003, 08:40 AM
LudeBehavior

could be a vacuum leak in some small hoses like the one going to the FPR or something, or somewhere close to it. It might have been there all along and you just aggravated it by moving stuff around. Not really sure though. Also, this isn't too likely, but if the coolant line running through your throttle body is messed up and coolant isn't running through the TB it will cause that when the engine is cold.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:16 AM
pirate252

Could be the ECU trying to get settled, at least that would explain the surging with CAI...but it may be the same problem for you try resetting the ECU...like you said it doesnt do it as often now, probebly cuz the ecu is slowly adjusting itself, well speed up the process and reset it

Also what they said about vacums could have somthing to do with it, when i did mine it was weird when one of those hoses was out, but it was fine when i put it back in, maybe you missed one.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:41 AM
Samson
chris is the devil

there was only one hose connecting to my intake as far as i can see.... smells like oil or something. I already tried resetting the ECU>