Notices

Clutch -- ACT vs Exedy

Old 08-10-2003, 11:37 PM
pirate252

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch -- ACT vs Exedy

Well its coming down to the decision here folks...Help me decide

94 EX sedan, not going to be a pure race car, i will take it to the track for high school drags and stuff.
Old 08-11-2003, 05:45 AM
vtecaccord01
Performance isn't $$$

Exedy Organic racing clutch. That's what I have. Love it death. Grabs like a moffo. only $260. Holds over 300hp.
ACT is also good but can't really say cause i never had one. But it gets good raves from everyone else.
Old 08-11-2003, 06:58 AM
LudeBehavior

I had an ACT in the Lude I just sold and it was sweet. I had enough mods done to the car that it almost wouldn't hook up in second gear when I was going all out. I never had a bit of trouble with it and it grabbed hard. Not so bad you hate driving it, but it would snap your head back if you were going all out. Under normal driving it was pretty smooth. I would highly recommend it. In fact I'm puttting an ACT and a lightened flywheel in my IS. Keep in mind though if you have an older car with higher mileage, a new clutch that has a pressure plate with higher psi than stock will wear out your clutch master and slave cylinders faster, especially if they are older. My car was a 93 and I ended up replacing the master and slave cylinders about a year later cuz the new clutch was too much for them. Once you get new ones though, your good to go. Sorry for the long reply
Old 08-11-2003, 11:08 AM
pirate252

Any way to tell weather those are going to need replacment, i mean how could you tell they needed to be swaped, did your clutch stop working?

Thanks for the replys, i was originally wanting to go with act, i just wanted to see what people had to say about exedy, to see if i could find anything to change my mind...

You said that it had trouble grabbin in second, well you say u had lots of mods and that it can handle up to 300 HP, were you about 300 HP or what was the problem
Old 08-11-2003, 11:20 AM
vtecaccord01
Performance isn't $$$

Taken from exedy website.......
All Exedy racing and performance clutches are not modified or rebuilt from stock clutches like other racing clutch suppliers. When a stock clutch is modified, the life span of the clutch is reduced dramatically due to change of higher torque capacity and clamp load that a stock clutch was not designed for. All Exedy racing and performance clutches are designed, engineered, and built as race clutches.

ACT is a rebuild but I won't doubt it's capability due to the good reviews it gets. Also price was a factor. $260 Exedy vs $360 ACT
Old 08-11-2003, 11:28 AM
AccordSleeper
Former H22 Accord Owner

i paid $330 shipped for my ACT HD SS last year, check groubuycenter.com i think pricing has come down.

i think exedy is a good clutch, it's very popular in japan, but just about everyone in the US with a fast honda uses ACT.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:46 AM
LudeBehavior

the clutch did not have trouble grabbing, the tires had trouble hooking up with the pavement cuz the clutch grabbed hard and put the power down well. The master and slaves were leaking and worn, so i replaced them. could have jsut been cuz they were old and not had anything to do with the new clutch
Old 08-11-2003, 12:39 PM
JustOneMore

You know my vote!

Exedy...