Notices

Check engine light went off when swapping converter on 6th gen!

Old 08-06-2003, 03:27 PM
carta79
Life after death

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine light went off when swapping converter on 6th gen!

I own a 99' Accord lx sedan! My problem is that I swapped the stock converter for a high flow cat and now the check engine light came on. I already tried to pull fuses and disconnect the battery terminal. The engine light goes off for about thirty minutes then comes on again. When I dropped the car off at a local shop they said their computer read that the "converter failed temperature test", wtf does that mean :dunno:, I'm guessing the aftermarket high flow cat is defected.
The reason I swapped it in the first place is because the stock cat went bad at 80,000 mi, turning the check engine light on. The dealership was going to charge me $800 for a new one .
I would like to say that OBD II fawking sux, it was alot easier to do these kinds of mods back in the day. I guess what I'm trying to figure out from this is "Does my car go into safe mode when the check engine light is on cause the converter failed this temp test?"
I'm worried that if I buy another converter that the same thing will happen anyway. The store that I got it from does not refund your money they give store credit and that is the only cat they have.
Any suggestions, ideas, or info is greatly appreciated. Thx guys!
Old 08-06-2003, 03:35 PM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

try putting on the stock cat to see if the light goes off. i installed a "test pipe" on my brother's Eclipse GSX and the CEL came on. it just happens when you mess with the cat.
Old 08-06-2003, 03:57 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

the second O2 sensor is sensing that the converter is not doing its job... so you'll get a CEL... search the forum for a way to "bypass" the second O2 sensor.

Only a really high-priced ($300 or so) High-flow converter will allow the second sensor to work properly. My friend put a DC (I think, it was $329 plus tax) converter on his 99 LX and never threw any lights.
Old 08-06-2003, 05:24 PM
PAPALOS

carta 79,

Do you have the extended waranty?
I guess it does not really matter because it happened to me as well. My Cat went bad at 99,500 +/- miles...I had a waranty of 100k miles, but I did not replace it until my car had 113,000 +/-.
The first dealer told me that it would cost me $1,088.00 to get a new one. I waited because it was too much money and I decided to get a second opinion...the second dealer replaced it for free. Reason...apparently a lot of people do not know that Honda has a silent recall for the Cat for the 6-Gen's Accords. They told me that Honda extended their waranty to beyond the 100k miles...I forgot to what specific mileage though. This happend to me about a year and a half ago, now my car has 164,000 miles and still running strong. Hope this helps.
Old 08-06-2003, 06:12 PM
carta79
Life after death

Originally posted by Eklypse39 try putting on the stock cat to see if the light goes off. i installed a "test pipe" on my brother's Eclipse GSX and the CEL came on. it just happens when you mess with the cat.
My stock cat turns the CEL on to; that's why I tried an aftermarket cat. I didn't want to get raped for $800 on a new stock cat. Could this be some CON by Honda to make extra money :dunno:[sarcasm]. I guess I'm SOL!
Eklypse39 do you know if the cars performance is hindered with the CEL on. What if I just pull the bulb from the back of the gauge cluster? I guess it's that annoying orange light that is really bothering me. Thx for your reply!

Originally posted by SumAccordGuy94 the second O2 sensor is sensing that the converter is not doing its job... so you'll get a CEL... search the forum for a way to "bypass" the second O2 sensor.

Only a really high-priced ($300 or so) High-flow converter will allow the second sensor to work properly. My friend put a DC (I think, it was $329 plus tax) converter on his 99 LX and never threw any lights.
Thx for the help :thumbup:! Do you know if a faulty oxygen sensor can cause the CEL to go off.

Originally posted by PAPALOS
carta 79,

Do you have the extended waranty?
I brought the car used in 00' for a good price at the time, the catch was that I didn't get any warranties! I didn't figure I needed it cause it's a honda . The car has been great, until this whole converter issue came up that is. I doubt the honda dealership will help on this one . Thanx!
Old 08-06-2003, 06:46 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

your performance and especially gas mileage will hurt with the CEL on... if it came on before you changed the converter then obviously there is something else wrong.

A bad O2 sensor will throw a CEL. You should go to autozone and have them test it to see what it is... they'll tell you whats giving the CEL for free.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:39 AM
carta79
Life after death

THX!

Gotta get this fixed , I have noticed a decrease in gas mileage but I thought it was because of all the mods.

Your !
Old 08-07-2003, 04:43 AM
AccordSleeper
Former H22 Accord Owner

do you have the second O2 sensor bung on your cat?? you can get a universal carsound cat to work on OBDII, a bunch of 97+ lude owners have them with no problems.
Old 08-07-2003, 05:01 AM
carta79
Life after death

Originally posted by AccordSleeper
do you have the second O2 sensor bung on your cat?? you can get a universal carsound cat to work on OBDII, a bunch of 97+ lude owners have them with no problems.

YES!

I've never heard of this cat! So if it works for a lude it should work for an accord. I'll try anything to keep this light off. I just don't want to pay $800 for a new converter from the dealership. Thx for your input! :thumbup:

I like the price and look on these! But I'm , my header downpipe would have to be cut and welded for this to fit, correct. I have no experience with universal converters!

Old 08-07-2003, 08:28 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by carta79
...I brought the car used in 00' for a good price at the time, the catch was that I didn't get any warranties!
I don't think that has anything to do with factory warranties, including silent recalls or whatever. You just didn't get any extra EXTENSION onto the factory warranties.

Don't you think it's worth a phone call to a Honda dealer to find out?