Notices

Intake installation + Aftermarket intake + resonator?

Old 07-13-2003, 07:43 PM
Kev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake installation + Aftermarket intake + resonator?

Hey I'm pretty new to this car modding stuff, so I just wanna get some clarification on how to install a CAI in my 02 Accord L4. I'm planning to get a generic eBay cold air intake. Now, do I have to take the front bumper out to fully install the intake and also remove the resonator? If so, are there any other ways, perhaps easier, to install the intake? To save time, maybe link me with a tutorial with some pictures?

Secondly, how often would I have to change the filter on the new intake? What's the average amount of time between changing it? Is it easy to replace the filter on a CAI for my Accord? Would I have to remove the intake pipe(s), or the front bumper, etc.?

Next, I couldn't find anything about this in the search: I'm wondering if it's possible to install an aftermarket intake with the OEM resonator. I do not want a loud "ricey" sound when I get my intake. If it's not possible to use the stock resonator with a new intake, is there another way to depress the sound?

Yeah, sorry I have a lot to ask.

Thanks.
Old 07-13-2003, 08:04 PM
Mx6GT91

If its a CAI, im sure your going to have to remove the resonator at the bottom of the filter box. im not sure if you have to remove the bumper. Im sure you can remove the black plastic covers under the car and take it out that way.(keep in mind ive never installed a CAI on that car, but there all pretty much the same) Might have a few bolts, i just rip the resonators out. Most of the bolts are rusted anyway, your cars pretty new so that shouldnt be a problem for you.

As for cleanning, you suppose to clean your filter with every oil change. With an intake its a matter of water/soap and letting the filter dry (unles the filter is oiled, which im sure its not cause you said its a E-bay intake) a CAI is harder to take off then a short ram intake cause you have to go through the same steps when taking out the lower resonator.

as for making the intake not as loud, there no way to make it quiet. I dont see why you want it quiet, most people buy intakes for the sound. shouldnt be too loud, but im sure once you get it in and hear it you wont want it quiet. Theres no way to connect the stock resonator unless your creative. but connecting the resonator might have a lose in horsepower
Old 07-13-2003, 08:04 PM
jschmid

Default Re: Intake installation + Aftermarket intake + resonator?

Originally posted by Kev
Next, I couldn't find anything about this in the search: I'm wondering if it's possible to install an aftermarket intake with the OEM resonator. I do not want a loud "ricey" sound when I get my intake. If it's not possible to use the stock resonator with a new intake, is there another way to depress the sound?

Yeah, sorry I have a lot to ask.

Thanks.
You can't use the stock resonator.

If you want a stock like sound, just keep the stock setup, and just make sure you change your filter regularly. You won't get huge gains with the CAI, you'll get more noise than anything. It's quiet under 3K, but then mine gets loud. I'm probably going back to stock intake setup.

If you do get it and install it, the easiest way is to remove the front bumper. A lot of people think this is a daunting task, but it's really quite simple. Maybe someone with a Helms manual for the 5th gens can post the pic with clip and screw/bolt locations.
Old 07-13-2003, 08:29 PM
H-Accord-22
Duh

I never had to remove my front bumper when install the CAI. It's so long ago that I don't remember how to install it, it should be fairly easy.

btw, if you want to remove the front Bumper:

1/. Remove the 2 bolts on each side that connect the edge of the bumper to the fenders
2/.remove 2 bumper signal lamp, then look straigh in, you'll see two size 12mm hex bolts/each side, remove them.
3/.Look under you car to see if there's any cliffs holding you bumper to the underneath (mine doesn't since the bottom of the bumper broke off then I added a W-Type lip on it. Remove the cliff then gently pull&shake the bumper out.

Hope this help. It should be fairly easy.
Old 07-13-2003, 11:10 PM
Kev

Alright. I think I'll remove my resonator now, because I wanna hear how it'll sound like without it, and it'll save me time when I get a CAI.

Also, should I get a generic CAI or AEM? Is there a noticeable difference between a generic and an AEM? Damn those AEM's are bank compared to a $40 no-namer on eBay.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:30 PM
Kev

Hmmm I took out my resonator, but it still sounds the same as when I had it on, or only sounds A LITTLE louder. Did I forget to do something? Is the sound suppose to noticeably louder? The only thing I took out was the resonator, so everything is still there except with the resonator on the bottom of the intake box.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:48 PM
KosokuAccord

when you get any intake in it'll get louder. Yeah its actually not worth it
i just got a cold air itnake cause it was up for 20 bucks so i was like cool, besides i knocked ogff my resonator while i piled a mailbox HAHAHA.
So go hit one nearest you besides ur own.
Old 07-14-2003, 11:14 PM
Kev

Read my post before about how taking off the resonator didn't do much, sound-wise.

Okay, I read about an upper resonator, maybe? Do the 6th gen Accords have an upper resonator somewhere? I saw some forum or something, I forgot, about an upper and lower resonator. The lower resonator would seem to be the resonator box near the tire, but what about the upper? In the middle of my intake tube, there is a U-shaped tube thing sticking out. What the heck is that? Is that the upper resonator?
Old 07-15-2003, 06:16 AM
pnthr30

If you are going to get an EBAY CAI, I would at least invest in a better filter like a K&N. Basically, the tubing is the same in all CAI's, but the filter is what sets them apart. Just my $0.02
Old 07-18-2003, 09:37 AM
pirate252

You dont have to take off your front bumper, it does make it easyer (so people say) but you dont have to do that or jack up your car, just turn your wheels all the way to the right. Also Kev, you must have done somthing wrong, or you shift before 3500, cuz mine is notacably louder past 3000 rpm, and up near 5000, it ROARS, so yeah, i imation it sounds close tot he same with the res off as it will with your cold air, but plan on the cold air being a little louder. (dont know from experiance, dont have a cold air yet)