Notices

Accord Headers

Old 11-04-2002, 07:56 PM
zidek_accord

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by sLoW aZZ aCcOrD
this is what happens when HS is down and all of us come here. like the crypts going to the bloods territory cuz there's to much construction.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :werd:
Old 11-04-2002, 09:55 PM
H-Accord-22
Duh

I searched, and I found this, it seems like BlackMagic is right so far because I know one of his quote is getting from this:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question172.htm

" Question

How do exhaust headers work to improve engine performance?

Answer

Headers are one of the easiest bolt-on accessories you can use to improve an engine's performance. The goal of headers is to make it easier for the engine to push exhaust gases out of the cylinders.

When you look at the four-stroke cycle in How Car Engines Work, you can see that the engine produces all of its power during the power stroke. The gasoline in the cylinder burns and expands during this stroke, generating power. The other three strokes are necessary evils required to make the power stroke possible. If these three strokes consume power, they are a drain on the engine.

During the exhaust stroke, a good way for an engine to lose power is through back pressure. The exhaust valve opens at the beginning of the exhaust stroke, and then the piston pushes the exhaust gases out of the cylinder. If there is any amount of resistance that the piston has to push against to force the exhaust gases out, power is wasted. Using two exhaust valves rather than one improves the flow by making the hole that the exhaust gases travel through larger.

In a normal engine, once the exhaust gases exit the cylinder they end up in the exhaust manifold. In a four-cylinder or eight-cylinder engine, there are four cylinders using the same manifold. From the manifold, the exhaust gases flow into one pipe toward the catalytic converter and the muffler. It turns out that the manifold can be an important source of back pressure because exhaust gases from one cylinder build up pressure in the manifold that affects the next cylinder that uses the manifold.

The idea behind an exhaust header is to eliminate the manifold's back pressure. Instead of a common manifold that all of the cylinders share, each cylinder gets its own exhaust pipe. These pipes come together in a larger pipe called the collector. The individual pipes are cut and bent so that each one is the same length as the others. By making them the same length, it guarantees that each cylinder's exhaust gases arrive in the collector spaced out equally so there is no back pressure generated by the cylinders sharing the collector. "

I learned something new. If some of you said that site is wrong, I don't know what else can be right???? I asked 5 diff Mechanicis and they all said the same thing at:
Old 11-04-2002, 10:42 PM
Bl@ck
Sinner

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: haha, i attacked you...what a cry baby....

Originally posted by wesleypipes1338
really on a serious note man, reread your posts. i even freakin quoted you. if my facts are wrong, your off the map. im 110% positive most ppl agree with me, they just dont waste their time like i do. anyway, go back to watching charmed.

whatever dude, i understand that you feel the need to be correct out of insecurity, whatever, everyone has their problems, but calling the misconceptions you've been posting on this thread fact is a far cry from reality. it seems that your arrogance greatly outweighs your competence and knowledge of what you attempt to talk about and that is unfortunate. there's always gotta be one in the bunch. i'm finished with this thread either way. i just hope that some of our younger members don't read this and think you know what you're talking about. that would be very unfortunate.
Old 11-05-2002, 12:05 AM
RY2K
5 speed

SIMMA DOWN NOW
Old 11-05-2002, 03:59 AM
zidek_accord

Originally posted by RY2K
SIMMA DOWN NOW
[Iranian Seinfeld Voice] "Ooo Arrd Deece Beeple?!" [/Iranian Seinfeld Voice] :rofl:
Old 11-05-2002, 04:47 AM
wesleypipes1338

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: haha, i attacked you...what a cry baby....

Originally posted by /^Blackmagik^\
whatever dude, i understand that you feel the need to be correct out of insecurity, whatever, everyone has their problems, but calling the misconceptions you've been posting on this thread fact is a far cry from reality. it seems that your arrogance greatly outweighs your competence and knowledge of what you attempt to talk about and that is unfortunate. there's always gotta be one in the bunch. i'm finished with this thread either way. i just hope that some of our younger members don't read this and think you know what you're talking about. that would be very unfortunate.
wow you sound sooo smart using those big words you try to much to sound like a physcologist. its not working, sorry.
Old 11-05-2002, 07:21 AM
AKUFC
PANIC NOW!!!

Originally posted by /^Blackmagik^\
and it was a matter of symantics, why do people buy headers to increase their performance? why are they marketed as headers and not manifolds? simple, because the terms are not interchangable.

I am bored and feel the need to nit pick

HEADER not headers. accords only have one HEADER
Old 11-05-2002, 07:43 AM
wesleypipes1338

Originally posted by PoohBoi
I searched, and I found this, it seems like BlackMagic is right so far because I know one of his quote is getting from this:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question172.htm

Instead of a common manifold that all of the cylinders share
this is the only thing i said was wrong in that quote. its worded a little confusing, maybe i misunderstood it, but it sounds like they are saying that the exhaust ports flow into ONE big collector at the head. which they dont, like a "header", the "manifold" all go into their own port.
Old 11-05-2002, 11:49 AM
Jeff TYPE R
Crazy AE86 dude.

Originally posted by zidek_accord
[Iranian Seinfeld Voice] "Ooo Arrd Deece Beeple?!" [/Iranian Seinfeld Voice] :rofl:
i used to post here lots back in the day.
Old 11-05-2002, 08:33 PM
ACCORDDUST
ChicagoLand Accord Club

LOL LOL U GUYS ARE FUNNY