ChicagoLand Accord Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who cares what it is called lol
Old 11-03-2002, 01:24 PM
Bl@ck
Sinner

Originally posted by jschmid
Don't waste your breath, not worth it. He is messed.
now that's twice you've insulted me because you can't prove your point.

http://www.elephantracing.com/techtopic/headers.htm
this link illustrates my point a little better i think.
Old 11-03-2002, 01:46 PM
razorv3

don't remove the heatshield off the exhaust manifold(aka header to some)..

anyways, what happens is that the engnie bay will become extremely hot and reduce performance, 2nd the stock manifold is ugly as hell and is rusted, and 3rd if it gets too hot under the hood the radiator hose will deform and you might have coolant leaks. just dont do it if you care about your car.
Old 11-03-2002, 01:47 PM
razorv3

btw i painted my stock heatshield using high temp engine paint (glossy black) and it looks damn good. many people have come up to me and told me they like it(when im working on my car of course).

ill take pics and show you guys.
Old 11-03-2002, 04:17 PM
jschmid

Originally posted by /^Blackmagik^\
now that's twice you've insulted me because you can't prove your point.

I have no problem with discussing technical stuff, even if you want to argue it, I wouldn't care, but I just think your immature personal comments to dantastic and westypipes were uncalled for.
I didn't try to insult you, I just mean if you are only gonna try to start personal **** with people, it's not worth trying to reason with you.
That's all.
I'm done with this thread.

Razor: Glad it worked out for ya...post some pics.
Old 11-03-2002, 09:07 PM
H-Accord-22
Duh

well well, seem like my thoughts are wrong, eh he

I'll go call the AUTO College to ask, haha..........i'll update asap
Old 11-03-2002, 09:48 PM
99accord
www.poksquid.com

the headers and exhaust manifolds are two different parts... supporting fact: try to put headers on a car with turbo... if you havent seen it... talk to someone who has... lol

as far as removing the heat shield.... i wouldn't do it but can't you just wrap it with thermal wrap to prevent heat damage?
Old 11-03-2002, 10:09 PM
Bl@ck
Sinner

Originally posted by jschmid
I have no problem with discussing technical stuff, even if you want to argue it, I wouldn't care, but I just think your immature personal comments to dantastic and westypipes were uncalled for.
I didn't try to insult you, I just mean if you are only gonna try to start personal **** with people, it's not worth trying to reason with you.
That's all.
I'm done with this thread.
i admit that my comments to dantastic were a little out of line, whatever, but i meant everything i said to westlypipes... he verbally attacked me from the start and deserved every bit of the smackdown he got.

the bottom line here is that i never attacked you. yet, twice you attacked me verbally, and you call me immature? whatever dude.
Old 11-04-2002, 01:10 PM
SWOOSHER21
Fight Rice

i have a point that will help jschmid.....

i have the GReddy 4-2-1 SS "HEADER". however, the sticker for the CARB number that you can put under the hood says GReddy "EXHAUST MANIFOLD".

???????????????? if that means settles anything
Old 11-04-2002, 01:22 PM
wesleypipes1338

Default haha, i attacked you...what a cry baby....

lets just take a look back and see your complete and utter misguided info.......come on, take my hand....

let's see, first of all, unless you have an ex you don't have a factory header. you have an exhaust manifold. secondly, if you remove the heat shield, you do two things. you allow your engine bay to het hot as ****, which makes your performance suffer and that heat that gets dissapated in your engine bay doesn't leave with the exhaust like it is intended, this slows down the velocity of your exhaust gasses, which makes your performance suffer as well. bottom line is that you can, but it's not a very good idea.
removing the heat shield is not going to drastically heat up the engine bay, the shield is a thin ass piece of metal, that is their for what? mostly cosmetic reasons. if you can give me actual proof, that performance will suffer sooo greatly, enlighten us great one. how is a heat shield being removed going to slow down exhaust gasses? its not.

no, it's not just symantics. if they were the same why would you need to buy a header to increase performance?

The idea behind an exhaust header is to eliminate the manifold's back pressure. Instead of a common manifold that all of the cylinders share, each cylinder gets its own exhaust pipe. These pipes come together in a larger pipe called the collector. The individual pipes are cut and bent so that each one is the same length as the others. By making them the same length, it guarantees that each cylinder's exhaust gases arrive in the collector spaced out equally so there is no back pressure generated by the cylinders sharing the collector.

bottom line. manifold=lots of backpressure, header=little back pressure. there IS a difference.

i think this quote from Ben franklin fits here. "it's better to let people believe you an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."
duh! you need to buy a header to increase performance, b/c the factory unit is a piece of ish! 4-2-1 design or not, its plain garbage. its made for reliability, not performance, its a freakin accord. of course the "manifold" has alot of back pressure, the I.D. is soo small, and NO, they do not share the same primaries. the gasses would get all screwed up, and even more of it would get sucked back into the chamber. even if the primaries are the same length, you will still have back pressure, cars need a certain amount of it, you cant have zero back pressure.

bottom line. manifold=lots of backpressure, header=little back pressure. there IS a difference.
and what the he ll is this?? like i said before, there is alot of back pressure b/c it is stock, not b/c its a "manifold".

it's simple physics dude. if the exhaust gasses cool because the heat is transferred elsewhere, then the exhaust gas molecules slow down, which means exhaust velocity slows down.

ok, so i was wrong. the stock piping is a manifold. it even says so in your helms manual. so why show your ignorance by calling it a header? my point is that if the terms were interchangable, and it was a matter of symantics, why do people buy headers to increase their performance? why are they marketed as headers and not manifolds? simple, because the terms are not interchangable.

if you though my comments were rude then they must've hit home in some way. probably because the truth hurts? they weren't directed at you, but if the shoe fits... wear it.
nothing i havent said already, just shows your retarded.
if the truth hurts, its gonna hit you right in the face.
not exactly... a manifold and a header are two different things. yes they serve basically the same purpose, but the header is less restrictive.

a manifold has a signifigant amount of backpressure because exhaust gases from one cylinder build up pressure in the manifold that affects the next cylinder that uses the manifold. basically all the cylinders dump into a common pipe. the gasses from the exhaust stroke from each cylinder are not evenly spaced in a manifold. this causes the exhaust stroke from each cylinder to interfere with the next.

in a header the pipes are bent and approximately the same length to keep the exhaust stroke from one cylinder from affecting another therefore eliminating a signifigant amount of back pressure.

backpressure robs your engine of power because the piston has to push harder on the exhaust stroke to eject the exhaust gasses. this is why we try to eliminate backpressure as best we can with headers and other, more freely flowing exhaust components.
this post actually makes some sense, but tell me, if i get my stock "manifold" honed, is it still a "manifold" or a header? it will be more free flowing!
a prime example of the need for abortion.

just because you cannot comprehend facts doesn't mean others are wrong. i think that you've ventured beyond ignorant into stupid. ignorant is when you just don't know any better. stupid is when you refuse to learn.

example: wesleypipes1338=moron

do you even read the posts or do you just arbitrarily spout feces and proclaim it as fact?
boohoo, are those insults? so if your not ignorant or stupid wtf are you?!
what the hell are you babbling about dude? what theory? i never said i'm a genius, but i do say that what i've posted so far is fact. because it is. plain and simple. actually i'm a little shocked at the amount of ignorance i've seen on this thread. kinda reminds me of my hondasociety days. most of those guys are full of **** and spout insults when they don't know what they're taking about too.
haha, so far its been fact?? yeah right you talk ish about your hs days, arent you doing the same thing? sounds like it to me. i guess your the one with the problem.
well that about wraps it up, but.....
1. just what makes a exhaust manifold differ from a header? they start with four ports(yes blackmagic, four, not one), then depending on the design it goes to a collector, and combines into two pipes, then into one, or just right into one pipe. funny, they sure sound the same to me.
99accord-you sooo went into left field with that, no one in here (i think) is that stupid. turbo cars and n/a cars are different, we are speaking about n/a. dope.

so blackmagic, tell us if the truth is hurting yet.wned: plain and simple.