Notices

Accord Headers

Old 11-02-2002, 02:42 PM
ACCORDDUST
ChicagoLand Accord Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah i think i am gong to put the heat shield back on , i am going to paint is though with high heat paint , wut color should i do it ? ?
Old 11-02-2002, 03:57 PM
The Dude
Banned

Dont they only make high temp black?
Old 11-02-2002, 06:20 PM
F23A4_AcCoRdude

ive seen black and red.
Old 11-02-2002, 06:21 PM
Bl@ck
Sinner

Originally posted by dantastic
header = exhaust manifold. its just symantics

the stock header looks like sh!t anyways.. i'd rather stare at the heat shield. the one omy accord was silver, it looked fine. you can paint it with hi-temp paint if u want.

ive heard stories of their stock headers cracking b/c they removed the heat shield. dunno if its tru tho. they couldve just hit something on the road
no, it's not just symantics. if they were the same why would you need to buy a header to increase performance?

The idea behind an exhaust header is to eliminate the manifold's back pressure. Instead of a common manifold that all of the cylinders share, each cylinder gets its own exhaust pipe. These pipes come together in a larger pipe called the collector. The individual pipes are cut and bent so that each one is the same length as the others. By making them the same length, it guarantees that each cylinder's exhaust gases arrive in the collector spaced out equally so there is no back pressure generated by the cylinders sharing the collector.

bottom line. manifold=lots of backpressure, header=little back pressure. there IS a difference.

i think this quote from Ben franklin fits here. "it's better to let people believe you an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."
Old 11-02-2002, 06:23 PM
Bl@ck
Sinner

Originally posted by The Dude
Dont they only make high temp black?
i've seen black, red, gray, blue, and yellow.
Old 11-02-2002, 07:45 PM
jschmid

Originally posted by /^Blackmagik^\
i think this quote from Ben franklin fits here. "it's better to let people believe you an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."
Oh wise one, show us the way.
So header primary pipes are all one length eh?
Tell me if these look the same length to you:

Or this one:

or this:

Okay, you said EX has a "header" well then from '98-on, the LX and EX have the exact same manifold so then they both have headers according to you, so why you *****ing about them calling it a header?
Here's a pic right out of my helms so you can educate yourself on the fact that each cylinder does empty into it's own pipe:

I agree with you that taking off the shield isn't a great idea, but this made me laugh: "and that heat that gets dissapated in your engine bay doesn't leave with the exhaust like it is intended, this slows down the velocity of your exhaust gasses"
huh?
Yeah, heat in your engine bay isn't good, but how does it slow exhaust gases???

I only bring up these points because of your rude comments.
Old 11-02-2002, 08:21 PM
H-Accord-22
Duh

ok, from all the ideas, here's my opinions:

NO, Don't take the cover off, you can paint it if you like, i did to my girl in blue high temp paint, still works fine (6 mo.)

Why? ewww..... a lot of heat, not a good Idea. My cousins told me that the cover shouldn't taken off. He orks with car for 30 yrs and he knows.

so my best bet is NO, just paint it how u like it
Old 11-02-2002, 08:23 PM
Bl@ck
Sinner

Originally posted by jschmid
I agree with you that taking off the shield isn't a great idea, but this made me laugh: "and that heat that gets dissapated in your engine bay doesn't leave with the exhaust like it is intended, this slows down the velocity of your exhaust gasses"
huh?
Yeah, heat in your engine bay isn't good, but how does it slow exhaust gases???
it's simple physics dude. if the exhaust gasses cool because the heat is transferred elsewhere, then the exhaust gas molecules slow down, which means exhaust velocity slows down.

ok, so i was wrong. the stock piping is a manifold. it even says so in your helms manual. so why show your ignorance by calling it a header? my point is that if the terms were interchangable, and it was a matter of symantics, why do people buy headers to increase their performance? why are they marketed as headers and not manifolds? simple, because the terms are not interchangable.

if you though my comments were rude then they must've hit home in some way. probably because the truth hurts? they weren't directed at you, but if the shoe fits... wear it.
Old 11-02-2002, 08:40 PM
H-Accord-22
Duh

let see, I don't know these terms very well, because I never been introduced to the right way. But my guess?

Exhaust manifold is a PART of the header right?

Header is the Whole Thing, leading from the Engine's Exhaust outlet to the Front Pipe just before the Catalytic Converter. and that Upper Part of the header, having 4 pipes connected to one end is called the Exhaust manifold.

And do you see your car's header if you open the Cover? Yes because that part is the Manifold OF the HEADER, you can't see the WHOLE HEADER, but at least part of it.

correct me if I'm wrong any1?????

THe Heat/Physics and Cover part. Blackmagic explain the terms right. But I don't think it applied here MUCH. The cover is just simply Concentrate the heat in one place keeping the heat from distribute to the whole engine bay, making it hotter than it is for other components: AC, Intake, and every other part.
Old 11-02-2002, 10:28 PM
dantastic
cx power!

"header" is easier to say than "exhaust manifold".

more accurately, due to the laws of thermodynamics, if a gas is at higher temperature, it will have higher velocity. that's why racer's wrap their headers with that wrap stuff. i think the heat shield is on the stock car for aesthetics and to keep heat away from underhood components.