Notices

Short Ram and Cold Air in the same engine?

Old 08-22-2007, 02:49 PM
Accordman95
17 inch polished 6s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short Ram and Cold Air in the same engine?

Do you think it's possible to run both cold air and short ram in the same engine at the same time?

They sell those "Y" design couplers that can connect pipe fittings and I think there might be enough space to fit this setup in my Accord.

Let me know what you think.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:12 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

pointless. and you'll look like a tool.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:25 PM
nspec_Cd5

no point of running that.

honestly, i tell people that its useless to have i/h/e unless u have many other things upgraded. because it doesnt really help. it might sound like it but it doesnt. if u were to buy a short ram intake, buy it for the sound. Cold air intake helps a little and u can feel it.

so dont bother buying it unless u want it for sound or ur have many other performance parts.

another thing is that u can run a cold air intake if u have automatic (its not really harmful , very rare), but its dangerous in manual cars.
if u run into a puddle, an automatic car's engine would shut off not causing enough damage, while manual will keep spinning sucking in more water and damaging ur valves, unless u take it out of gear.

so its good to get the cold air intake if u have an automatic (i'm not gonna guarantee that it'll always be ok, but its almost harmless), but u'll risk ur motor if u have a manual.

and even when ur motor shuts off after going through a puddle (in an automatic), u can run all the water out, just crank it and keep giving it gas. the water will run out pretty soon like in a minute or so.

Last edited by nspec_Cd5; 08-22-2007 at 08:29 PM.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:20 PM
wedley2
bboy Wesley West

i think if you are not a dum dum and run through puddles like an offroad vehcile, it wont happen to you.

and once that motor tries to compress water it will blow something up due to the fact that it is trying to compress something that simply cannot be compressed regardless of the transmission.

bolt on do help but it matters for what type of engine and the application.

a local accord bolted on a intake manifold spacer and it dynoed 5hp and 5tq with bolt ons. so small things do help.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:58 AM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

Originally Posted by nspec_Cd5
no point of running that.

honestly, i tell people that its useless to have i/h/e unless u have many other things upgraded. because it doesnt really help. it might sound like it but it doesnt. if u were to buy a short ram intake, buy it for the sound. Cold air intake helps a little and u can feel it.

so dont bother buying it unless u want it for sound or ur have many other performance parts.

another thing is that u can run a cold air intake if u have automatic (its not really harmful , very rare), but its dangerous in manual cars.
if u run into a puddle, an automatic car's engine would shut off not causing enough damage, while manual will keep spinning sucking in more water and damaging ur valves, unless u take it out of gear.

so its good to get the cold air intake if u have an automatic (i'm not gonna guarantee that it'll always be ok, but its almost harmless), but u'll risk ur motor if u have a manual.

and even when ur motor shuts off after going through a puddle (in an automatic), u can run all the water out, just crank it and keep giving it gas. the water will run out pretty soon like in a minute or so.
Some of the worst logic so far this year
Old 08-23-2007, 10:47 AM
v6_accord_jerz
Stupid Power Ball

Originally Posted by totalimmortal
:werd:

I paused, laughed, paused again, laughed and thought.......wtf is he talking about.

To answer the OP's question.....is it possible? Maybe.........should you do it? For the love of cars, please don't.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:43 AM
Intrepid241

To answer the OP's question.....is it possible? Maybe.........should you do it? For the love of cars, please don't.
::werd::

I've had my Aem CAI on my 6thGen 5spd for 4 years now. So far so good. Just don't try to cross the Mississippi (like some dumbasses you see on tv) and you'll be fine. Besides they sell a bypass that takes care of that problem.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:31 AM
Accordman95
17 inch polished 6s

Honestly, why would anyone drive through a puddle? that is incredibly stupid to begin with. Go around it, take another street, do something else.
This isn't kindergarten.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:29 PM
nspec_Cd5

Originally Posted by totalimmortal
prove me wrong,

in automatic, the transmission dis-engages right when the motor shuts off and it doesn't suck in enough water to cause damage.

but in manual, (unless you put it in to neutral) it will suck in water and i cannot describe after that. ur valves will bend and ur motor will start knocking.

my car (automatic) sucked in water twice both time i couldn't do anything about because of my speed. i couldn't change my lane.
my motor still runs perfectly fine w/o a single knocking sound.

Last edited by nspec_Cd5; 08-24-2007 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:10 AM
Johar

Lol, I had to read it three times before I realized I was indeed reading it correctly.
First off - dont listen to nspec.
Second - i/h/e is the basis by which to start if you are interested in upgrading
Third - I would suggest short ram because that way you never have to worry about flooding your engine which will completely put it out of comission. Not to mention there isnt that much of a difference between the two.

I live up in dekalb, IL. right now floods are everywhere and rivers are so high that water is flowing over bridges. Try going through with a cold air will destroy your engine.