Notices

Idling Issues and some other small things

Old 11-09-2006, 07:28 PM
mrchip354

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idling Issues and some other small things

I have two Honda Accords, both 91s, one is an LX and the other is a SE. Both have a problem with the idle. The LX is less severe then the SE.

LX: When you drive it, it is fine, no problems. In neutral it is fine, no problems idles around 800-900 rpm. But when the thing is in reverse, the whole car shakes and also when the A/C is turn on the car seems to shake.

SE: When you start it up, it idles at like 1500-2000 rpm. When you put it into drive, the RPMs drop, but still is a little rough. Now, when I put it back into park or neutral, the thing goes from 1000-2000 up and down. This car does not shake when it is put into reverse and is also fine when the AC is running.

Any ideas?

The SE is also having some other isssues. One thing is the electrical. The brake light in the rear window does not work and also displays that it is not working on the dash, I have check the bulb and it is fine. Also, the light on back (it is attached to the trunk (=- -=, kind of a picture =- -(<-this one)=)) on the right hand side works, but when you brake, it does not brighten like the one on the left side. I exchanged the left hand side fixture with the right hand side fixture and same thing, the left hand side still worked and the right hand side one was not brighten when the brake was pressed. The Also on the dash, the Brake light is lit up even though the e-brake is not engaged and I also check to make sure the brake fluid was full and it is at the max mark. Also, after you drive for a couple of minutes the ABS light turns on... but I think this might be due to another problem I am having.

I know the CV Joints are messed up because of the clicking/knocking when I turn, so I am going to replace both the front halfaxles with new ones (including the CV joints). Also, when I stop, right now I can feel a kind of shaking/bumpiness/temor in the brakes and also the steering wheel shakes/temors a little when I step on the brakes. Do you think this is because my CV joints are that messed up?

Another I have noticed with both cars is that they shift a little rough. Is there anyway to smooth this out a little, or are all 4th gens like this?

Thanks

Last edited by mrchip354; 11-09-2006 at 07:30 PM.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:06 PM
mycb7com

LX, is probably a motor mount.

SE, Idle Air Control Valve, try cleaning that out. Fairly simple to do. As far as the trunk light... check some fuses?

Try getting an alignment to fix the vibration, but after you change the axles.

BTW, does your SE have black leather? I have a 93 SE
Old 11-10-2006, 02:54 AM
mrchip354

It has cream colored leather. Where are the fuses for those lights. I checked under the hood and on the inside driver side. Is it labeled funny?
Old 11-10-2006, 04:47 AM
PWPDC5

On the SE, maybe a vacuum leak, but with the fluctuation in the idle like that, I would probably have to go with the IAC valve.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:53 AM
fstop128

dogbone motor mount on the lx. i have a 92 replaced it now its fine. se its normal for 4th gens idle to be higher when started and drop when shifted out of park. iac valce sounds correct. little screen in there gets dirty, if it only idles rough at start up then smooths out after it has warmed up. the light issue there is a box in the taillight assembly that may need to be replaced i dont know which side i have 2 since i have a spoiler one is white the other is brown. relays i think that is what they r called. just take the access trim door off in the trunk u will see it, easy and affordable to replace yourself.

cv joints can cause the vibration along with pulling. if its only noticeble when u brake then its possibly warped rotors.

Last edited by fstop128; 11-10-2006 at 04:56 AM.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:38 AM
b-bomb

This doesn't explain the fluctuation in rpm but on the throttle body there is a nut or a screw that loosens the throttle cable so you can adjust what it idles at. I've never done it on a honda but it should be fairly simple. But considering the rpm fluctuation, that may not be the problem.

As for the lx, it's probably a motor mount.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:45 AM
mycb7com

Are you able to take pictures? And highlight what doesn't work? Those two fuse boxes are the only ones in the car. You may need to replace a relay for your brake lights. You have tons of questions in your first post.

Tan leather, nice I have tan leather too.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:15 PM
mrchip354

I will take a picture of it tomorrow morning.
Here is a crappy ascii picture for now ((O) break lights and normal lights work, (=) normal running light work, (-) is a light but, I get nothing out of it)

- <---this is the brake light in the rear window (doesn't work)
000 <--- This is the spoiler's light (Works)
OO =O <--- these are the lights in the back (the "=" is where a problem is)

How hard is it to replace the Engine Mounts(LX)? Also, the reving up and down is pretty much all the time when it is in neutral or park (SE).
Old 11-10-2006, 10:28 PM
mycb7com

So its the inner right taillight?
Old 11-11-2006, 05:13 AM
mrchip354

Yeah and also the Brake light that in in the rear window