Notices

Brake Upgrade

Old 08-29-2002, 11:28 AM
PmPiNAzNBoI
WaSsuP?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Upgrade

I've been looking around for a couple days, and I'm still undecided on what to do. These are the options I'm considering:

1) Aem Big Brake Kit w/ AEM Pads

2) Powerslot Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads

3) Powerslot Rotors w/ Hawk HPS Pads

Anybody have a setup that they would recommend, and which one here do you think is the best - considering price and quality? I've been leaning towards the AEM Big Brake Kit for a while, but I've heard mixed reviews about the price and the quality of the product. Any input would really help - thanks.
Old 08-29-2002, 11:45 AM
AccordSleeper
Former H22 Accord Owner

AEM kit is crap.

The Powerslots are fine, but they are more for look than stopping power on a street car.

The Hawk pads are very good,but will probably dust alot, squeel, and wear quicker than oem or aem pads.

I personally am going with aem pads and brembo blanks, unless I give in to look and buy some raceconcepts.com slotted and dimpled drilled brembo rotors.
Old 08-29-2002, 04:52 PM
Dr. Reef

Ditto what Accordsleeper said.

I'm doing the exact same thing with Brembo blanks and AEM pads. Can't beat that kind of stopping power. Plus, slotted/drilleds wear pads quicker, and are more likely to crack and warp. Big brake kits are entirely unneccessary unless you are really into racing with turns and stops, not just 1/4 miles.

$100 and DIY the brakes for the new rotors and pads. SWEET.

Anyone know where to find some Brembo blank rotors for less than $36 + shipping at Nopionline?
Old 08-29-2002, 05:16 PM
usc

don't get the AEM OE caliper bbk. chances are, you'll regret it. i was told brembo blanks aren't any better than OEM rotors. so you might think about sticking w/ OEM replacements.

there's always this:

but then you'll need to deal with the issue of finding the right type of rims to clear the caliper. just gave myself another reason to spend money.
Old 08-29-2002, 06:08 PM
Illusion-Lighting
Illusion Lighting

there's always the legend 2 pot caliper option. i decided to go that route w/ the hopes that i wont need spacers. from initial measurements it looks like it'll bolt right up to my 6th gen
Old 08-29-2002, 07:14 PM
Dr. Reef

Please explain.

I have a 6th gen by the way.
Old 08-29-2002, 08:15 PM
usc

see_fu's doing a legend caliper transplant, which comes with 2 pistons instead of the single piston stock calipers. however, this mod requires you to mount the calipers backwards (leftside to right, and rightside to left) so that the bleeder valve is at the right position. at least that is what he tells me.

you can then upgrade to prelude rotors, which are just a big bigger in diameter over the accord.
Old 08-30-2002, 03:46 AM
Spyfunkr

Which Prelude rotors fit in Accords? Thats cool.

-Spy
Old 08-30-2002, 04:27 AM
AccordSleeper
Former H22 Accord Owner

Originally posted by usc

you can then upgrade to prelude rotors, which are just a big bigger in diameter over the accord.
I believe in order to that you have to change over most of the suspension to prelude stuff.

Also Brembo rotors aren't much different than Honda oem except I can get them for $25 each plus about $12 in shipping from nopi. The Honda rotors will cost at least $50 a piece.
Old 08-30-2002, 05:00 AM
Spyfunkr

$50 for OEM? Try again. On a 4th gen, from Honda, $85.00 each for fronts, $116 each for rear.

Can you say "Brembo"?

-Spy

Quick Reply: Brake Upgrade