Notices

Brake Upgrade

Old 08-30-2002, 05:56 AM
AccordSleeper
Former H22 Accord Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Spyfunkr
$50 for OEM? Try again. On a 4th gen, from Honda, $85.00 each for fronts, $116 each for rear.

Can you say "Brembo"?

-Spy
ouch yeah they are big money, but I didn't think Accord ones were that much. You can't beat the price and performance of Brembo blanks.
Old 08-30-2002, 06:21 AM
Dr. Reef

Accord sleeper, what model car do you have?

I ask because I have a 6th gen and Brembo fronts are not $25 at nopi, they are $37 plus shipping.

Also, I have seen places online where you can get OEM rotors for only $15.

Try www.accordstore.com But they only have them for 5th gens.
Old 08-30-2002, 07:02 AM
usc

Originally posted by Spyfunkr
Which Prelude rotors fit in Accords? Thats cool.

-Spy
4-lug preludes. i believe the 92-96? not quite positive w/ the prelude years/generation.

bigger rotors will obviously require new calipers (be it from prelude or legend in this case) since the stock calipers weren't designed for them. some have opted for the legend calipers because there's 1 extra piston.
Old 08-30-2002, 07:49 AM
AccordSleeper
Former H22 Accord Owner

Originally posted by Dr. Reef
Accord sleeper, what model car do you have?

I ask because I have a 6th gen and Brembo fronts are not $25 at nopi, they are $37 plus shipping.

Also, I have seen places online where you can get OEM rotors for only $15.

Try www.accordstore.com But they only have them for 5th gens.

I got a 5th gen. You may try summit racing.

$15 for oem, must be wrong. Even cheap ones from autozone are like $20. Still worth looking into though.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:21 PM
EdyJun

wow those rotors are cheap
Old 01-06-2004, 12:35 AM
D R E W

First of all, if you are looking for the best brake upgrade you should look/invest into getting some really good performance tires. No doubt about it!

Now about the AEM Big Brake upgrade kit. Those who say it's crap are wrong. The AEM Big Brake kit is a a good upgrade over the stock rotors & pads and cost a lot less than Brembo, Rotora, Wilwood Big Brake kits. IMO the AEM BBK is mainly for the "bling-bling" factor but with the bigger size rotors, AEM brake pads, and some Goodridge SS lines & Valvoline DOT3/4 brake fluid you pretty much got a better than stock setup. This setup would be good for street performance moderate NA cars and nothing more. I wouldn't attempt to use this kit in racing competition. I have both the front and rear AEM Big Brake kit on my 00' Honda Prelude and it works just fine. Had it on for almost 2yrs and have yet to experience any problems such as warping & cracking. Just gotta follow the proper bedding in procedures according to AEMs instructions. Some people mess this up and instead of blaming their own selves they place the blame on the product. Again, the kit is mainly for the "bling-bling" with a better than stock setup.

Now if your serious about brake upgrades invest into some really sticky tires and any rotors such as OEM, Brembo blanks, and Powerslots paired up with AEM (good pads over stock), Hawks street performance pads, or AXXIS pads and stainsteel brake lines will work great! Don't forget to upgrade your brake fluid as well! Valvoline DOT3/4 is a good brake fluid. Heck... even the OEM Honda brake fluid is good enough!

Now the expensive Big Brake kits from Brembo, Rotora, etc. are good for racing competition/canyon runs and cars making massive power to the wheels. I think this would be over-kill for a NA Accord inline4 or V6 or any NA Honda. If money isn't a concern then yeah I could see someone getting this for the added stopping power and again... the "bling-bling" factor but yeah serious over-kill.

I'm loooking at getting some Rotora big brake kit for my 03' Accord V6 Coupe b/c I'm a "ricer," and I have nothing better to do with my money. So I'm looking at the Rotor Big Brake kit (fronts) and some rear rotors from racingbrake.com

http://www.rotora.com/

Also, checkout these guys out!

http://www.racingbrake.com/

Again, big brake kits... for show and only benefit cars that require bigger brakes to make them come to a stop. I think I spent close to $1600 for the AEM BBK both front & rear kits, AEM pads, brake lines, brake fluids, and cost of installation. That was two years ago!

My 00' Honda Prelude w/ AEM Big Brake kit before it got smashed by a lady and her country Ford 250 pick-up truck. It's in the shop with over $10K damages.

My 03' Accord EX-V6 Coupe
Old 01-06-2004, 04:30 AM
AccordSleeper
Former H22 Accord Owner

^people who really race hondas don't use big brake kits cause they don't want to use 17 inch wheels. for an accord the best road racing brake setup is 94-97 accord v6/wagon rotors and the use of legend GS 2 piston calipers. this will barely fit under the stock 94-95 15s, but it's all the braking that one needs.

the aem rotors warped easily or came warped, or at least when they first came out they did. a bunch of knowledgeable people installed them on friends/customers cars, they are not hacks so i believe what they say.

damn this thread is old....