Notices

New member/have a couple questions

Old 07-14-2004, 07:14 PM
TenaciousTires
Registered Luser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member/have a couple questions

First off, let me introduce myself since I just recently joined the forum. The name is Alex, and I own a white 1996 Honda Accord EX, pretty much stock save for a Sony stereo and Pioneer speakers. I bought the car in Michigan where I reside during the winter (currently vacationing in Orlando) two years ago this month. I bought the car with very low mileage (40k) so it was in prestine show room condition. The car is now about to roll 125k.. and still looks/runs as good (if not better) than it did the day I bought it. I'ts been EXTREMELY reliable. I just sold a 1988 Acura Integra LS sedan w/ 279k miles about a month or so ago to a friend of mine who is dedicated to restoring it back to 'new' condition. The engine and 5-spd. transmission were original...and the only repairs I made during the time I owned it were a clutch, brake master cylinder and radiator. I have learned quite a lot about Honda's in the last two years... so hopefully I'll be able to share some of my knowledge on the forum. Now that you know a little about who I am and what I drive... I have a few questions that maybe some of you can help me with.
1.) I just recently had the cv joints/axles replaced on the Accord about three weeks ago... along with a set of brand new tires (Daytons) and I have noticed a wobbling/pulsation in the front end as well as very poor handling. The car used to be very nimble, as Accords are supposed to be. Now, the car handles like a Lincoln Town Car. There is excessive body roll and some play in the steering wheel. I've had it put on the lift and everything seems to check out fine (such as the tie-rods, bushings, etc.) The tires have been re-balanced, rotated and the car has been aligned twice. I am positive that the cv axles were installed properly. Anyone have any suggestions? I noticed that the car isn't staying aligned. 2.) When the car is sitting still (such as when I pull out of the driveway and stop to shift gears and turn the steering wheel) I hear a 'rattle' and get a slight vibration when I sharply turn the wheel all the way to the left or the right. The car steers fine once it's moving. Since the cv joints have been replaced, these can't be the culprit. I hope it's nothing to do with my rack and pinion. Thank you in advance for any suggestions or other input. Looking forward to meeting some of you and becoming an active member.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:13 AM
RYounk007

Default Same Problem

I seem to be having the same issues w/ my 94 LX. My steering isn't very responsive. Also, my steering wheel shakes slightly (side to side) at highway speeds (60-70) however this will sometimes go away at higher speeds 80+ when I'm not using cruise control. This happened with my stock wheels w/ new tires. And is contining (although slightly less severe) with my 16" wheels w/ new Bridgestones. I've have everything aligned and balanced numerous times. I've also had my CV boots and one tie rod replaced.

My assumption is the the CV boot replacement wouldn't have anything to do with this, but maybe it does. How could we go about checking something like that?

I was also assuming that these issues could mean it's time for a new suspension (161,000 miles on my car).

I was also thinking it may be some adjustment or replacement w/ the steering system (I'm not at all familiar with, maybe bushings if there are any).

Hopefully we'll hear back from someone with some ideas!

Thanks guys.
Old 07-21-2004, 04:11 PM
SmutWanter
"Made to Please"

Whenever I had that problem it was always axles for me, but since you just got the cv boots replaced then that shouldn't be the problem. Not sure man, but good luck in finding the answer and keep us posted for the knowledge.
Old 07-21-2004, 05:37 PM
SonY:)AccOrd
GOSU

Im not going to read all that but I am going to say welcome to HAN :wavey:
Old 07-22-2004, 12:39 PM
uclaccord

I'ma 2nd that welcome! as for the help, you can find a ton of info by searching...also...i think when my wheel bearings were busted and the car was on the lift, you could kinda shake the wheels laterally...i'm not explaining too well but it could jiggle side to side...that might attribute to your first prob...other than that i'd say alignment or busted wheels, but you already got alignment so *shrugs*...as for the second prob, it's a lil vague in your description.....
Old 07-23-2004, 01:49 AM
strykernyc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

new wheels can solve the problem, also suspension brakes axle cv join
this topic has been cover i am sure u will find lots of info on this. new wheels save my problem
Old 07-23-2004, 01:59 AM
wedley2
bboy Wesley West

Originally Posted by SonY:)AccOrd
Im not going to read all that but I am going to say welcome to HAN :wavey:
:werd: welcome.