Notices

91 Accord brake lamp light in dash

Old 01-20-2004, 10:17 AM
NewOrleansGuy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 Accord brake lamp light in dash

The brake lamp light in the dash of my 91 Accord SE stays on as soon as I step on the brakes after start up. None of the bulbs in the rear brake lights including the one on the rear deck are burned out. Seen this, or any ideas? Thanks.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:43 AM
Hondapower10a
Avocado Green Appliance

There are relays that trigger that light on your dash. If they are not getting enough voltage/wattage/whatever then they will trigger the light. I've just learned to live with my dash light now that I have LED brake lights that draw less power.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:19 AM
NewOrleansGuy

Do you think one or more of the bulbs is weak? Speaking of the relay, I think it is between the seats in the stickshift/tranny cover. When I step on the brake, I can hear the relay in there. Right?
Old 01-20-2004, 11:58 PM
Justasking

Originally posted by NewOrleansGuy
Speaking of the relay, I think it is between the seats in the stickshift/tranny cover. When I step on the brake, I can hear the relay in there. Right?

What you are hearing is the pin or whatever you want to call it that is letting you take it out of park. I'm assuming its an automatic.

As for the brake light...

1) check your break fluid. it has a sensor in it that will let you know its low.

2) check and make sure your e-break is pusshing the little pin down far enough (under the center concsole)

If its not any of that, then I don't know.

Good luck and let us know what it was.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:17 AM
Spyfunkr

Good idea, Justasking, also check the float sensor for the brake fluid resevoir.

Spy
Old 01-21-2004, 12:21 PM
NewOrleansGuy

It's the "brake lamp" indicator, like I have a burned out bulb. On the little car icon that shows open doors, trunk, in the dash. The brake light does not stay on, like when you have low fluid or the hand pulled parking brake is on. Thanks for the replies and I will check things out deeper this weekend.
Old 01-22-2004, 03:23 PM
d21x
Ownz JOO

i've had the same problem. and here's the fix.

1. Put your car in park and have someone hold the brake pedal down.
2. Go check your car's rear and see if any of the bulbs are not extra lighted up for the brake.
3. You will see that one of them doesnt light up.
4. You need to go to autozone and buy the DUAL filament light bulb, not the single.

There you GO!!!
Old 01-22-2004, 10:20 PM
Hondapower10a
Avocado Green Appliance

If it really kills you to have the 'brake lamp' lamp on, pull the instrument cluster out and take out the offending bulb. Problem solved. I'm going to do so when I put in my stainless steel instrument cluster bezel somtime this spring when I get around to it. No rush. I can live with the light for now.
Old 01-23-2004, 03:24 AM
Justasking

Originally posted by d21x
i've had the same problem. and here's the fix.

1. Put your car in park and have someone hold the brake pedal down.
2. Go check your car's rear and see if any of the bulbs are not extra lighted up for the brake.
3. You will see that one of them doesnt light up.
4. You need to go to autozone and buy the DUAL filament light bulb, not the single.

There you GO!!!

Ok, NewOrleansGuy, when you push the brake, do ALL the dash lights come on? If so then it is what d21x said.

We had a car come into the shop and when our other Tech pulled in I saw that when he hit the brakes the parking lights came on. the problem was that someone put the wrong bulb inteh brak light socket. you need 1157 nto 1156 one has 2 spots (filaments) onthe bottom, the other has 1. :thumbup: Good luck.

Originally posted by Hondapower10a
If it really kills you to have the 'brake lamp' lamp on, pull the instrument cluster out and take out the offending bulb. Problem solved. I'm going to do so when I put in my stainless steel instrument cluster bezel somtime this spring when I get around to it. No rush. I can live with the light for now.
Thats just :ghey: Hideing the problem doese't fix it.

If your oil light comes on, do you just unplug the bulb? If so, you must go through alot of cars.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:25 AM
Hondapower10a
Avocado Green Appliance

If your oil light comes on, do you just unplug the bulb? If so, you must go through alot of cars.
Yes I do! 1 a week! If there's a smooshed bug on the window, I don't clean it, I throw the car in the dumpster down the street. You found me out, Inspector Gadget.