Notices

How to make a SOHC VTEC pull like a DOHC VTEC

Old 07-04-2003, 08:31 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by SiR-DC2
Didn't Westcoast barely run in the 14s? You do know a SOHC VTEC turbo usually dynos around 160+hp and 150+ftlb, yeah B18C1 w/ bolt ons can sometimes hit 160hp but nowhere near that much tourqe, FI is the way to go for speed. Why spend $4000 on a GSR engine swap when a simple $1500 greddy turbo kit can beat up on the GSR swap for MUCH less, hell for what's saved you could buy an intercooler, fuel pump, hondata, inj, etc and have OVER 200whp and 180+ftlbs on around 10psi on a stock D16Z/Y, fun thing is, when you break the D series, change the turbo manifold to a Bseries and boost say an LS engine...BOOST IS THE WAVE OF THE FUTURE FOR SPEED and POWER!
I've ran a 15 flat at best, but I'm a bad example. My motor is built for turbo so I sacrifice power for the future because I run lower compression N/A. I'm willing to run slower now, to be that much faster when I get my turbo on.

For the "wham-bam-thank you ma'am" single purchase, a turbo kit vastly outweighs a swap, but in a case like mine where you're not looking to buy something once a B20 VTEC, B18C1, B18C, B18A/B swap with FI will desimate all! :yumyum:

jmo
Old 07-04-2003, 09:07 AM
asiandoood
sancho on the sizzide!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How to make a SOHC VTEC pull like a DOHC VTEC

Originally posted by oc_civic
with a honda i think that id only go N/A if i was road racing or something like that, not with drag.. with drag racing i THINK id always spray..totaly adjustable power for 5-600 bucks.. i dont see anything better

yes i agree. my mind is set on building a car for road racing. h:
Old 07-04-2003, 01:46 PM
SiR-DC2

Originally posted by westcoaststyle
I've ran a 15 flat at best, but I'm a bad example. My motor is built for turbo so I sacrifice power for the future because I run lower compression N/A. I'm willing to run slower now, to be that much faster when I get my turbo on.

For the "wham-bam-thank you ma'am" single purchase, a turbo kit vastly outweighs a swap, but in a case like mine where you're not looking to buy something once a B20 VTEC, B18C1, B18C, B18A/B swap with FI will desimate all! :yumyum:

jmo
Yeah I know your setup, I wasn't hatin on you, the person talking about your car made it sound like yours is 'the one' to set standards and not me being a dick just saying that. I know when your setup is done it's gonna scream w/ the boost, how soon till t-day ?
Old 07-04-2003, 09:15 PM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Dunno really... still gathering stuff. Got my ProfecB-Spec2 yesterday. I just need my injectors (in the mail), FMIC, hondata installed, boost gauge, and to bolt everything up. :drool:

I can't wait.. hahaha
Old 07-05-2003, 11:07 AM
NeverBX
Snootchie Bootchies!!

so are we done arguing?
Old 07-07-2003, 06:48 AM
MrJasey

if u want to stay SOHC and want it to pull harder either go turbo if u want FI or if u want to stay NA then get a good CAMSHAFT (not just a cam gear like a lot of ricers get bah!! retards), adjustable cam gear, and normal bolt ons. i would reccomend the zex 59100 or the 59300 depending on your budget. the stage 2 u will need to upgrade your vavletrain if u want to take advantage of the high reving capability.

i had the stage one street cam (59100) with aem adjustable cam gear and a CAI and it pulled pretty hard for a NA SOHC that had stock internals. most of the difference was a lot more power after the up shift. it defitely gave an OK car more balls.
Old 07-07-2003, 07:48 AM
wilsel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by SiR-DC2
Didn't Westcoast barely run in the 14s?
WILL is the key word here. Once turbo is in and tuned his car will be "fast".
Old 07-07-2003, 10:00 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Originally posted by wilsel
WILL is the key word here. Once turbo is in and tuned his car will be "fast".
:werd:

Looking forward to being "fast" too. :db:
Old 07-18-2003, 10:39 PM
94whtGsr

I have a friend that has a 1994 civic ex coupe with 130,000 miles. He has a cheap intake a muffler and he jammed a stick through his cat a couple times. His car is also lowered wiht skunk 2 lowering springs. His best time at the track was a 15.9, which was only like his 3rd or 4th run ever. His 60' was 2.4's
Old 07-19-2003, 07:38 PM
hlhiii

Originally posted by Jkan2001
you obviously haven't raced a 99-00 si with just a basic greddy turbo kit, they are awfully slow. Hell i hung with a 00 si on 13 psi fully built till about 90 when he walked me like i wasn't moving, but i mean this car had pistons/rods/sleeved/built head etc etc.
the greddy kits blow... they put down weak #'s. i haven't been impressed with one si that i've seen with it. but as far as the b16 being a crummy motor i have to disagree. in my 2000 si i have bolt ons and n20. no weight reduction and decent (not great) traction. this set up has landed me solidly in the 13's at trap speeds over 101 mph. i'll scan the slips as soon as i get a chance. i don't happen to own scanner. EVERY honda motor has it strengths and weaknesses. the whole debate between dohc & sohc is nothing but people saying " i beat this guy so that motor sucks". that's not proof. i've seen stock type r's run 16's. does that mean the b18c5 sucks. no. the import world has become way too close minded in the past few years.