Notices

How to make a SOHC VTEC pull like a DOHC VTEC

Old 07-03-2003, 02:05 PM
Jkan2001
S2000 Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How to make a SOHC VTEC pull like a DOHC VTEC

Originally posted by oc_civic
when he posted that i said the same thing to him... and all those calculations you show.. i honestly don't buy into any of it.. i think the ONLY way to get ANY idea is to acualy dyno the car... everything else is really just a totaly guess... but for the most part your numbers sound fairly acurate...

that doesn't sound right at all...realistically a stock b16 is not gonna dyno 136 whp, that's more like obd2 GSR range. Stock for a stock a d16 puts down the same torque as a b16, now imagine boost, trust me a d16 on even 6 psi would rape a b16 car, i've done it a million times. I doubt crucial dynos 160 whp, i dynoed my car with the boost dropping to about 6 psi and i ended up with 150 whp this is with a good fuel setup and intercooled.
Old 07-03-2003, 02:28 PM
ManTiS
NinJA

EVERYBODY knows that a turbo B16 will stomp a turbo D16.

However, a D16 is a dime a dozen. Blowing a D16 is less heartbreaking than a B16. For the $, I'd rather have a SOHC turbo + extras, but that's just me. This debate is getting old as ****. It's like the Domestic vs Import debate. Do what you like and I do what I like; I'll just see you at the track where it matters.

I'll put it as my friend put it so well: "I'd hate to spend the money on a swap and then get stomped by a SOHC. That'd be embarrassing."
Old 07-03-2003, 02:29 PM
Jkan2001
S2000 Pilot

Originally posted by ManTiS
EVERYBODY knows that a turbo B16 will stomp a turbo D16.

However, a D16 is a dime a dozen. Blowing a D16 is less heartbreaking than a B16. For the $, I'd rather have a SOHC turbo + extras, but that's just me. This debate is getting old as ****. It's like the Domestic vs Import debate. Do what you like and I do what I like; I'll just see you at the track where it matters.

I'll put it as my friend put it so well: "I'd hate to spend the money on a swap and then get stomped by a SOHC. That'd be embarrassing."

you obviously haven't raced a 99-00 si with just a basic greddy turbo kit, they are awfully slow. Hell i hung with a 00 si on 13 psi fully built till about 90 when he walked me like i wasn't moving, but i mean this car had pistons/rods/sleeved/built head etc etc.
Old 07-03-2003, 02:36 PM
ManTiS
NinJA

I've seen cars like those; but I've also seen turbo D16's run 15's. The point is: a DOHC will almost always be better than a SOHC. Denial is futile. :P The only thing the SOHC has is value.

I've driven turbo DOHCs; they pull wayyyyyyyyy better than my SOHC.
Old 07-03-2003, 02:37 PM
Jkan2001
S2000 Pilot

Originally posted by ManTiS
I've seen cars like those; but I've also seen turbo D16's run 15's. The point is: a DOHC will almost always be better than a SOHC. Denial is futile. :P The only thing the SOHC has is value.

I've driven turbo DOHCs; they pull wayyyyyyyyy better than my SOHC.

i will agree with you in general...but we were talking B16's, turbo B16's and GSR's are in totally different worlds in terms of power.
Old 07-03-2003, 03:18 PM
g5c
Pimp Boss Member

in straight line??? i beg to differ.. i KNOW that a STOCK ex is NOT fast.. but niether is an si.. i know that on paper a STOCK SI should RAPE a stock EX.. but i also know what i have expierienced and well.. im less than impressed with the stock b16a, but then again you have a "spoon b16b" so of course you would be a whole nother story... oh no wait... aren't you the guy that doesn't have a b16b or spoon internals??
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA niiiiice
Old 07-03-2003, 03:27 PM
oc_civic
mcc racing

Originally posted by g5c
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA niiiiice
glad you enjoyed..

see.. im not just a jerk to you.. im not really nice to anyone.. lol

but i MUST say.. ask anyone whos been here for a while.. its all in fun:thumbup:
Old 07-03-2003, 06:09 PM
asiandoood
sancho on the sizzide!

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How to make a SOHC VTEC pull like a DOHC VTEC

when he posted that i said the same thing to him... and all those calculations you show.. i honestly don't buy into any of it.. i think the ONLY way to get ANY idea is to acualy dyno the car... everything else is really just a totaly guess... but for the most part your numbers sound fairly acurate...

yes...hence i asked...did he dyno it. thats the only ACCURATE way to tell. maybe people get dissappointed at their numbers when they actually dyno their car :chuckles:

people who say twin cams suck are just stupid.. imho SOME of the twin cams are over rated.. like id never waste money putting a 99-00 si motor in my car... because i really and truely believe that would be a waste of my time.. sure its better than a y8 BUT.. to me not enough better to warrent the time and money... i would love a gsr swap.. that is about the only swap id consider (because i would never spray a ctr or itr motor.. and im obsessed with juice) single cam is NEVER better than twin cam ever.. but for the money.. thats where opinion comes in..
i buy a 98 ex for example.. and you can swap a b16a2 for a couple thousand, and be just as fast as an si, OR i can buy a $500 nitrous kit and be decently faster... sure now ive hit a wall... but if im not going to dump tons of money what is the better choice??? for a little more than that 2 grand i can just about build my motor AND spray... and be way faster for the money... so doesn't it really just matter how much you want to spend???? before saying one is better than the other???

the B16 is weak stock, but there is a lot of potential in an all motor setup. my friend runs a Toda Racing stroker kit with skunk2 cams and internals. for about 3k (around the same amount of $$ spent on a decent turbo kit) he was dynoed 190 WHP and running 13's at the track consistantly. i might consider that route only with Toda Spec B cams instead of Skunk2.

Originally posted by Jkan2001

you better not be talking about me...captain i can't even break a 2.3 60 foot h: and i bet your car dynos 145 whp on stock apex boost unintercooled.

very close to my 147 WHP prediction calculation that i posted earlier
Old 07-03-2003, 09:57 PM
crucial Si
Banned

Originally posted by Jkan2001
you better not be talking about me...captain i can't even break a 2.3 60 foot h: and i bet your car dynos 145 whp on stock apex boost unintercooled.
no, i was talking to the other guy.
Old 07-04-2003, 07:36 AM
oc_civic
mcc racing

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How to make a SOHC VTEC pull like a DOHC VTEC

Originally posted by asiandoood

the B16 is weak stock, but there is a lot of potential in an all motor setup. my friend runs a Toda Racing stroker kit with skunk2 cams and internals. for about 3k (around the same amount of $$ spent on a decent turbo kit) he was dynoed 190 WHP and running 13's at the track consistantly. i might consider that route only with Toda Spec B cams instead of Skunk2.
with a honda i think that id only go N/A if i was road racing or something like that, not with drag.. with drag racing i THINK id always spray..totaly adjustable power for 5-600 bucks.. i dont see anything better