Notices

How to make a SOHC VTEC pull like a DOHC VTEC

Old 07-03-2003, 06:00 AM
oc_civic
mcc racing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by spooncivicb16b
wow sweet i guess i got owned by the one of the biggest douche's in the universe( aside from crucial that is)
im really not an asshole... im just opinionted and blunt.. sometimes it comes across harsh...its all in fun so dont get too upset...:thumbup:
Old 07-03-2003, 06:05 AM
oc_civic
mcc racing

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: How to make a SOHC VTEC pull like a DOHC VTEC

Originally posted by asiandoood
How do you know you are running 160 to the wheel? you dynoed your car? are you running higher boost on stock internals? is your car tuned?

Lets just say you are calculating your horsepower increase from your stock crank hp (125). Let's just say you lose 15% when we count down to WHP. That would put you to 106 WHP. A 40% increase from your "turbo" and you are up to 148 hp.

A B16A starts at 160 hp. A 15% loss of hp to the wheel. That puts them to 136 WHP.

A difference of 12 whp. Now take your advantage of a better torque curve from your turbo setup vs. the higher rev limit of the b16...and i'd say both setups are about the same.

Unless you were calculating your crank hp from 125 with the 40% gain from your turbo which puts you at 175 hp. To the wheel it is still 148 whp using the 15% hp loss to the wheel rule.

Although I can be talking straight outta my ass and have no idea what I'm talking about. Please explain to me if I'm inaccurate. I do like to learn.
when he posted that i said the same thing to him... and all those calculations you show.. i honestly don't buy into any of it.. i think the ONLY way to get ANY idea is to acualy dyno the car... everything else is really just a totaly guess... but for the most part your numbers sound fairly acurate...
Old 07-03-2003, 07:28 AM
crucial Si
Banned

Originally posted by fish
all i have to say to crucial is that sure he may beat a b16 or in some cases hang with a b16 but big whoopty dooo i have a b16 in my hatch and i know it aint that fast its quick for a honda but not fast. but what i do know is is that i can take that same turbo kit you have and put it on my motor and run 13's which i know your d series isnt capable of.

you want proof okay well here it is...

my buddy has a 95 civic ex automatic 4dr. which just happens to be the heaviest 5th gen made he slapped a turbo kit on it and it would hang with a b18b hatch so he got a swap a b16 to be exact w/ an auto to manual conversion. he still had that d series turbo kit laying around so he port matched the exhaust manifold and hooked it up to his b series motor. what did he run you ask oh only a 14.5 @ 97mph so you take off oh about 800lbs from the 4dr which is the difference from his to mine and slap a d series turbo kit on it i promise 13's

so what i am saying is that your turboed d16 isnt all that great cause the v8's and all the other stuff you boast about beating i can beat too and i have a stock b16 hatch which has a lot more room for potential then your d16 which is almost at its peak.

pay attention to this

you are retarded...

first of all, i dont' even think about racing b16 equipped cars unless they are FI anymore because that motor just plain sucks. If you're gonna swap at least do a GSR. Hell i'm beating 5-6 psi greddy turbo SI's so stock internal d16 vs stock internal b16 on the same boost it's 50/50. Anyways...he is only on 6 psi right now, just wait till he goes to 8+ he will be spanking your ass so hard you won't know what you were racing.
greddy kits cannot compare to the apexi.

also, if i lived wherever you are at, i will run your car, for the title of the car, and you know what, i would need to bring a friend, cuz ill be driving both home.

your talking about you racing AN AUTOMATIC, i drive both M and A from honda, and the A is discusting, the gearing is crappy as shit.
Old 07-03-2003, 07:31 AM
crucial Si
Banned

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How to make a SOHC VTEC pull like a DOHC VTEC

Originally posted by rick
Fact I have wasted and I mean wasted a S2000 on the freeway with my friend in the passenger seat. 70-xxx I'm not proud of what I did so I never mention it.
ive only put about 1000 or so miles on my car since turbo, so obviously i havent had anything tuned, or even had time to go to the track, trust me, i want to go so bad, just florida weather this month is always bad, im not going to drive 200+ mile round trip just for nothing. so i gotta go on the right day. and mostlikely when i go, it will be 90 degrees out with 90% humidity.
Old 07-03-2003, 07:35 AM
Nelson
Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

*Sigh* the DOHC vs. SOHC debate.

Those with a SOHC will swear by it.

All this talk about DOHC sucks this, FI DOHC sucks...

We'll see. :naughty:

Hey rick, what do you drive? M Coupe?
- SOLD
EG Ferio - SOLD

FA Ferio - Returned
www.NelsonLee.net

Old 07-03-2003, 08:08 AM
oc_civic
mcc racing

Originally posted by MaxBoosT
*Sigh* the DOHC vs. SOHC debate.
people who say twin cams suck are just stupid.. imho SOME of the twin cams are over rated.. like id never waste money putting a 99-00 si motor in my car... because i really and truely believe that would be a waste of my time.. sure its better than a y8 BUT.. to me not enough better to warrent the time and money... i would love a gsr swap.. that is about the only swap id consider (because i would never spray a ctr or itr motor.. and im obsessed with juice) single cam is NEVER better than twin cam ever.. but for the money.. thats where opinion comes in..
i buy a 98 ex for example.. and you can swap a b16a2 for a couple thousand, and be just as fast as an si, OR i can buy a $500 nitrous kit and be decently faster... sure now ive hit a wall... but if im not going to dump tons of money what is the better choice??? for a little more than that 2 grand i can just about build my motor AND spray... and be way faster for the money... so doesn't it really just matter how much you want to spend???? before saying one is better than the other???
Old 07-03-2003, 08:19 AM
Nelson
Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by oc_civic
people who say twin cams suck are just stupid.. imho SOME of the twin cams are over rated.. like id never waste money putting a 99-00 si motor in my car... because i really and truely believe that would be a waste of my time.. sure its better than a y8 BUT.. to me not enough better to warrent the time and money... i would love a gsr swap.. that is about the only swap id consider (because i would never spray a ctr or itr motor.. and im obsessed with juice) single cam is NEVER better than twin cam ever.. but for the money.. thats where opinion comes in..
i buy a 98 ex for example.. and you can swap a b16a2 for a couple thousand, and be just as fast as an si, OR i can buy a $500 nitrous kit and be decently faster... sure now ive hit a wall... but if im not going to dump tons of money what is the better choice??? for a little more than that 2 grand i can just about build my motor AND spray... and be way faster for the money... so doesn't it really just matter how much you want to spend???? before saying one is better than the other???
True.

Someone I know had a turbo kit on his fully built LS... the motor finally gave in and he transferred everything over to a B16, he opted for the B16A over the B18C.. from what I know, his car RIPS.
- SOLD
EG Ferio - SOLD

FA Ferio - Returned
www.NelsonLee.net

Old 07-03-2003, 09:20 AM
SiR-DC2

Originally posted by wilsel
Not even that fast, but after riding in some SOHC with FI I know that is not the route I want to go. It is a big improvement over a stock EX I'll give you that. Westcoaststyle will be what I consider "fast".
Didn't Westcoast barely run in the 14s? You do know a SOHC VTEC turbo usually dynos around 160+hp and 150+ftlb, yeah B18C1 w/ bolt ons can sometimes hit 160hp but nowhere near that much tourqe, FI is the way to go for speed. Why spend $4000 on a GSR engine swap when a simple $1500 greddy turbo kit can beat up on the GSR swap for MUCH less, hell for what's saved you could buy an intercooler, fuel pump, hondata, inj, etc and have OVER 200whp and 180+ftlbs on around 10psi on a stock D16Z/Y, fun thing is, when you break the D series, change the turbo manifold to a Bseries and boost say an LS engine...BOOST IS THE WAVE OF THE FUTURE FOR SPEED and POWER!
Old 07-03-2003, 01:00 PM
Cream

Originally posted by Ferio Man
and boost :chuckles:
aint that the truth
Old 07-03-2003, 02:02 PM
Jkan2001
S2000 Pilot

Originally posted by crucial Si-T
pay attention to this

greddy kits cannot compare to the apexi.

also, if i lived wherever you are at, i will run your car, for the title of the car, and you know what, i would need to bring a friend, cuz ill be driving both home.

your talking about you racing AN AUTOMATIC, i drive both M and A from honda, and the A is discusting, the gearing is crappy as shit.

you better not be talking about me...captain i can't even break a 2.3 60 foot h: and i bet your car dynos 145 whp on stock apex boost unintercooled.