How to make a SOHC VTEC pull like a DOHC VTEC

Old 07-02-2003, 03:35 PM
PHiZ
BOOST GOD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Re: How to make a SOHC VTEC pull like a DOHC VTEC

Originally posted by CptMidway
[B]

Nitrous, and you'll need 2 bottles, the big ones.....in chrome.......do it by tonight.
I'm sorry I love that quote

I KNOW I'm going to get flamed for this, but get your ecu chipped, mugen fuel curves, with a 4500 vtec x-over, no real need to push back the redline, I don't make a lot of power at 7500.

Open up your intake exhaust a little. and you will get SOME pull, compared to the stock ex.

Also learn to live in the high rpms. I went from a german car that really didn't rev high, so my driving habits needed adjusting for the honda.

Personally I'm not a straight line racer, so the nitrous isn't very exciting to me, and I kinda think it's a dirty hack, unless you're building a drag car with internals... IMHO...

-PHiZ
Old 07-02-2003, 06:35 PM
asiandoood
sancho on the sizzide!

Default Re: Re: Re: How to make a SOHC VTEC pull like a DOHC VTEC

Originally posted by crucial Si-T
b16s are not in the same ballpark as i am in when it comes down to racing, im pushing 160+ to the wheels, they are pushing 160 to the crank. big difference...they cant hang.

How do you know you are running 160 to the wheel? you dynoed your car? are you running higher boost on stock internals? is your car tuned?

Lets just say you are calculating your horsepower increase from your stock crank hp (125). Let's just say you lose 15% when we count down to WHP. That would put you to 106 WHP. A 40% increase from your "turbo" and you are up to 148 hp.

A B16A starts at 160 hp. A 15% loss of hp to the wheel. That puts them to 136 WHP.

A difference of 12 whp. Now take your advantage of a better torque curve from your turbo setup vs. the higher rev limit of the b16...and i'd say both setups are about the same.

Unless you were calculating your crank hp from 125 with the 40% gain from your turbo which puts you at 175 hp. To the wheel it is still 148 whp using the 15% hp loss to the wheel rule.

Although I can be talking straight outta my ass and have no idea what I'm talking about. Please explain to me if I'm inaccurate. I do like to learn.
Old 07-02-2003, 06:44 PM
rick
not noob?

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: How to make a SOHC VTEC pull like a DOHC VTEC

Originally posted by asiandoood
How do you know you are running 160 to the wheel? you dynoed your car? are you running higher boost on stock internals? is your car tuned?

Lets just say you are calculating your horsepower increase from your stock crank hp (125). Let's just say you lose 15% when we count down to WHP. That would put you to 106 WHP. A 40% increase from your "turbo" and you are up to 148 hp.

A B16A starts at 160 hp. A 15% loss of hp to the wheel. That puts them to 136 WHP.

A difference of 12 whp. Now take your advantage of a better torque curve from your turbo setup vs. the higher rev limit of the b16...and i'd say both setups are about the same.

Unless you were calculating your crank hp from 125 with the 40% gain from your turbo which puts you at 175 hp. To the wheel it is still 148 whp using the 15% hp loss to the wheel rule.

Although I can be talking straight outta my ass and have no idea what I'm talking about. Please explain to me if I'm inaccurate. I do like to learn.

I also doubt 97mph. I trapped at 98.x mph running 13.93. when I had massive wheel spin I still trapped at 96mph (14.4 )

and I'm dyno verified at 222hp at the rear wheel and 3000lbs.
Old 07-02-2003, 06:58 PM
Jeice
One Rad Dude

I have a d15b7 on nitrous and b-series swapped cars don't really put up a good fight. A d16z6 on say a ZEX 65 shot with proper fuel and timing, and bolt ons, and you got yourself a hybrid killer. You can get all of that for under a grand.
Old 07-02-2003, 07:00 PM
Jeice
One Rad Dude

And by the way, the only way youll make only 148 whp on a turbo'd d16z6 is if you don't own a boost controller.

I've seen a d16a6 make 190whp @ 10psi on a td05
Old 07-02-2003, 07:02 PM
Jeice
One Rad Dude

And by the way, the only way youll make only 148 whp on a turbo'd d16z6 is if you don't own a boost controller.

I've seen a d16a6 make 190whp @ 10psi on a td04

you're looking at 70% gain in horsepower, not 40%
Old 07-02-2003, 07:14 PM
asiandoood
sancho on the sizzide!

my calculations are based off stock boost on stock internals with no tuning as I was assuming how his setup was.
Old 07-02-2003, 07:21 PM
crucial Si
Banned

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: How to make a SOHC VTEC pull like a DOHC VTEC

Originally posted by asiandoood

i know my car like the back of my hand, i know its pushing over 160 to the wheel at 7psi. and torque, i out torque ALL B series motors, you cannot compare them. jkan was pushing i believe 160+wtq, correct me if im wrong. ball bearing turbos are known to create sick ass torque numbers. i wouldnt even race a 6th gen anymore, unless it has more than the adverage boltons, but it still wont be a fair run, ill kill it. like im saying im only going off my experience and what i have incountered, i dont have numbers, but i think there is a dynoday coming up, if im off, id be glad to hit it up just for the fawk of it..

what does apexi claim? 170whp without intercooler?

****edit.

so far my car v. other hondas. list of what i ran and won against.
6th gen Si, beat. could hang with them but never beat them up top.
7th gen Si, beat w/o boost, no need to run with.
RSX-S..he couldnt hang for nothing, stock wtq is about 140 i believe.
dc-db gsr, 2dr beat, 4door didnt want to run me.

now thats what your calling equal power?
Old 07-02-2003, 07:24 PM
crucial Si
Banned

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How to make a SOHC VTEC pull like a DOHC VTEC

Originally posted by rick
I also doubt 97mph. I trapped at 98.x mph running 13.93. when I had massive wheel spin I still trapped at 96mph (14.4 )

and I'm dyno verified at 222hp at the rear wheel and 3000lbs.
you cant compare our cars together, im 800lbs lighter, FWD, non LSD.

lets just say you have 50 more whp than i, will it be a good race? of course.
Old 07-02-2003, 07:40 PM
asiandoood
sancho on the sizzide!

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How to make a SOHC VTEC pull like a DOHC VTEC

Originally posted by crucial Si-T
i know my car like the back of my hand, i know its pushing over 160 to the wheel at 7psi. and torque, i out torque ALL B series motors, you cannot compare them. jkan was pushing i believe 160+wtq, correct me if im wrong. ball bearing turbos are known to create sick ass torque numbers. i wouldnt even race a 6th gen anymore, unless it has more than the adverage boltons, but it still wont be a fair run, ill kill it. like im saying im only going off my experience and what i have incountered, i dont have numbers, but i think there is a dynoday coming up, if im off, id be glad to hit it up just for the fawk of it..

what does apexi claim? 170whp without intercooler?

im going by numbers. not talk and experience. show me a dynochart and i'll believe you. i give you numbers....you give me talk. no evidence.

what apex claims is for their sale purposes. do you believe everything advertising in magazine's say?

apex claims 160 hp vaguely. does not say what setup nor any evidence. and i doubt they were calculating WHP.