Notices

How to make a SOHC VTEC pull like a DOHC VTEC

Old 07-19-2003, 08:28 PM
jinx-mitchell
The Comic Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by crucial Si-T

i hang with all kinds of mustangs and all kinds of v8s on the highway..but i guess thats not good enough.

I hope you're kidding.

The V-8's you find on the highway are dumbass kids who think stock + bolt-ons is fast or old men who don't want to be too fast. Wait till you come up against some guy who knows what fast should be. You'll learn a valuable lesson then. I work with a guy who drives his Camaro to work everyday, but at the track the same car with the same setup can run 11.7's all day long (till he runs out of gas money atleast). Streetable Honda's can't do that can they? I own a Civic and a Corvette and a GSR. The Civic is the slowest car I've ever driven, the GSR is quick, but the 'Vette would bury them together. Car engines run off of air, and the more displacement you have, the more air you can cram into that engine. Displacement = Power. It just gives you more air to work with.
Old 07-19-2003, 08:31 PM
NeverBX
Snootchie Bootchies!!

you know his car is turbo'd right?

turbo IS the temporary replacement for displacement
Old 07-19-2003, 10:47 PM
PHiZ
BOOST GOD

bah I'm tired of hearing steakheads, with the same old mantra "no replacment..."

Look at the power equation. It's RPM X Displacment. so half the displacment at twice the rpm is the same amount of power.

so there is in fact a DIRECT substitution for displacment.

I'm not saying larger displacment is pointless, far from it. I'm just trying to adress that particular saying...

-PHiZ

Now, if we're talking about torque... THEN maybe the saying holds true?
Old 07-19-2003, 11:38 PM
jinx-mitchell
The Comic Guy

Never said "no replacement" Ever wonder what happens when someone turbos a large displacement engine? 750HP street driven cars is what happens.

That's nice that his car is turbo'd. What does that have to do with what I was saying? I was simply saying that one can't say that a built Honda motor is better than a built v-8. There is just more potential with the big 'uns. Also, does his Turbo'd car make 11.7 runs?
Old 07-20-2003, 01:08 AM
Jkan2001
S2000 Pilot

Originally posted by hlhiii
the greddy kits blow... they put down weak #'s. i haven't been impressed with one si that i've seen with it. but as far as the b16 being a crummy motor i have to disagree. in my 2000 si i have bolt ons and n20. no weight reduction and decent (not great) traction. this set up has landed me solidly in the 13's at trap speeds over 101 mph. i'll scan the slips as soon as i get a chance. i don't happen to own scanner. EVERY honda motor has it strengths and weaknesses. the whole debate between dohc & sohc is nothing but people saying " i beat this guy so that motor sucks". that's not proof. i've seen stock type r's run 16's. does that mean the b18c5 sucks. no. the import world has become way too close minded in the past few years.

i'm willing to bet you're not running a dry kit or anything smaller than a 75 shot either.
Old 07-20-2003, 01:39 AM
yellow civic ex
ghey slow d16 modder

back to the topic of the thread:

a guy that i work with has a '99 si w/ a thermal exaust (same one i have), aem cai, dc 4:1 header, type-r intake manifold, and a v-afc (uhhh....he just uses it to impress people, so this doesn't really count).
before i was boosted (i just have a '97 ex coupe) we had this whole competition thing going every month, where we'd just race home from our store meetings down the road for a bit.
i had a thermal exaust, aem shortram intake, dc 4:1 header, dc short shifter, aem pulleys, COMPLETELY gutted car...no back seats, no ac, no cruise, no trunk, no sound deadening, no useless metal brackets, etc. i also had a cf hood and 16" rota slips (he had 17" enkei or something).
from a light we would pull dead even till about 75mph or so, and he would very slowly pull away. i was very suprised. just lighten it and add some bolt-ons. with that setup i could beat stock si's through 2nd enough that they wouldn't pass me till over 100mph. i also believe that that the '95 is a little lighter than mine.

now that i have some boost on my engine it rips him apart through all gears, from roll or stop, in any situation (i even had 2 other rather large friends in my car once, and noone else in his) and took him by about 5 cars at about 70mph. plus, all my stuff is back in now too. full interior, ac, cruise....im running untune with greddy kit about 6-8psi w/ fmic, fuel system and some other stuff.
even though i rip him up now, i hate to think of what would happen if he got the vortech charger that he wants.
Old 07-20-2003, 06:07 AM
Jkan2001
S2000 Pilot

Originally posted by yellow civic ex
back to the topic of the thread:

a guy that i work with has a '99 si w/ a thermal exaust (same one i have), aem cai, dc 4:1 header, type-r intake manifold, and a v-afc (uhhh....he just uses it to impress people, so this doesn't really count).
before i was boosted (i just have a '97 ex coupe) we had this whole competition thing going every month, where we'd just race home from our store meetings down the road for a bit.
i had a thermal exaust, aem shortram intake, dc 4:1 header, dc short shifter, aem pulleys, COMPLETELY gutted car...no back seats, no ac, no cruise, no trunk, no sound deadening, no useless metal brackets, etc. i also had a cf hood and 16" rota slips (he had 17" enkei or something).
from a light we would pull dead even till about 75mph or so, and he would very slowly pull away. i was very suprised. just lighten it and add some bolt-ons. with that setup i could beat stock si's through 2nd enough that they wouldn't pass me till over 100mph. i also believe that that the '95 is a little lighter than mine.

now that i have some boost on my engine it rips him apart through all gears, from roll or stop, in any situation (i even had 2 other rather large friends in my car once, and noone else in his) and took him by about 5 cars at about 70mph. plus, all my stuff is back in now too. full interior, ac, cruise....im running untune with greddy kit about 6-8psi w/ fmic, fuel system and some other stuff.
even though i rip him up now, i hate to think of what would happen if he got the vortech charger that he wants.

dang 5 cars to 70 sounds pretty extreme, especially since you guys launched close before. I used to tie/pull 6gen si's with boltons till about 3rd gear where they would pull away by about 3 till 100 and i had full interior. On 5.5 psi untuned with a fmu setup i'd beat them by about 7+ to 100 and on 8 psi tuned with the afc hack i don't even race anything short of a bolton itr unless it has FI. The B16 just doesn't have much balls in stock or near stock form but neither does the d16, we're all slow :thumbup:
Old 07-20-2003, 03:57 PM
hlhiii

Originally posted by Jkan2001
i'm willing to bet you're not running a dry kit or anything smaller than a 75 shot either.
you lose......it is a zex dry kit. now give me your car keys.
Old 07-20-2003, 04:23 PM
Jkan2001
S2000 Pilot

Originally posted by hlhiii
you lose......it is a zex dry kit. now give me your car keys.

and it's sure as hell not a 55 shot so you don't win jack shit :fawk:

that kit was too damn inconsistent, the first 5 sprays off a new bottle were awesome after that it just kinda weaked out.
Old 07-20-2003, 04:29 PM
hlhiii

Originally posted by Jkan2001
and it's sure as hell not a 55 shot so you don't win jack shit :fawk:

that kit was too damn inconsistent, the first 5 sprays off a new bottle were awesome after that it just kinda weaked out.
i've put 10 passes on a bottle before and had all 10 runs within 1/10 of one another. just have to watch the bottle pressure as with any n20 kit. and you bet it was a dry kit so back at ya :fawk: :madfawk: :madfawk: