Notices

Erratic idle.

Old 06-28-2003, 05:07 AM
G-JDM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Erratic idle.

Ever since i replaced my clutch about a month ago my car has been erratic on idle, it idles at 1000rpm when warm, goes up to 1500rpm then drops down again. It does it constantly and in sequence sort of, like it takes 1 second to go up and back down. Ive checked my distributor, cap, rotor, wires and plugs, and im now thinking i should check my sensors (IAC, EGR, MAP etc.), anyone have any other ideas on what it could be? thanks for any help guys.

p.s. Its a JDM 1.5 VXi (D15B, VTEC), 80k miles, and i ron on 99RON fuel.
Old 06-28-2003, 07:20 AM
Motohip

Looks like your engines messed up, your only choice is to trade with me :chuckles:

Just kidding, I don't know what it could be
Old 06-28-2003, 10:23 AM
vtecsol

not sure about single cams but on the daul cam if you bypass the coolent lines..when you put on a new throttle body also if youe throttle cable is pulled to tight..why that would happen after you messed with the clutch??? dont know
Old 06-28-2003, 10:32 AM
jfiedler
Junior Member w/Fries

could have damaged the manifold or pulled/loosened a vacuum line somewhere.

iac could be it too...it's exposed and easy to damage.
Old 06-28-2003, 01:17 PM
Bakeoff
wooooo woooooooooo

A) there's no EGR on obd1-2 cars.
B) how did you remove the tranny? Did you support the engine, or just let the motor mounts do it? It you did the later of the two, check the vaccum lines on the back of the manifold to make sure they didn't pop off, or get damaged.
C) reving at idle almost always indicates a vaccum leak. In some cases it's as simple as replacing the TB gasket. In others, it's a pain in the butt to trrack down.
D) an easy way to find the leak, get a can of intake cleaner. Then with the engine idling, lightly spray the intake cleaner anywhere near vaccum lines, intake manifold, etc. When the idle jumps, you've found your leak.
Old 06-28-2003, 02:11 PM
sxecrow
Banned

wait, I know what you're talking about!! I had the same problem. You mean it sounds like it keeps reving on its own when idling? Check the Idle Air Control or the O2 sensor. I had the same issue.
Old 08-30-2003, 03:51 PM
G-JDM

just an update for future reference for you guys, it was the throttle position sensor ( it think ) because i changed over the throttle body and TPS (kept original MAP sensor). only fixed it yesterday haha.