Notices

5th gen gauge cluster, or OEM tach upgrade...

Old 06-17-2003, 10:39 PM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5th gen gauge cluster, or OEM tach upgrade...

I picked up a gauge cluster from a 93 vx hatchback in the junkyard today for $12. I don't know if it's going to work in my car or if there's any info already available about swapping different civic model gauge clusters.

I have a 92 cx with a 92 dx engine (D15b7). I retained my original engine wiring harness during the swap, of course the interior harness is untouched. I replaced the P05 ECU with a '92 P06 ECU and upgraded the engine harness to a 4-wire o2 sensor so it would work right with that ECU, but other than that, nothing has been changed. Everything works except the shift light. I guess what's most important about all that is if the cx's chassis harness has provisions for this gauge cluster.

My cx desperately needs a tach. I'm willing to part with my 100k old cx cluster for this 342,042 mile old piece to avoid buying an aftermarket tach. I cut the harness for the vx cluster just to be safe in case I needed to change wires around or if I needed reference. I'd just like to know if can work before I tear into my dash... because I broke the hell out of the cluster's surround panel (black plastic thing with the vents in it) while taking the cluster out of the donor car, so I don't want to destroy mine trying this if it's not going to work. Any tips on non-destructively getting my cx gauge cluster out of the dash would be appreciated. I know about the two screws, I just couldn't get it to pry loose without breaking.

Do the clusters have the same plug-in connectors?

Are the chassis harnesses the same for 5th gen hatchbacks?

It would be totally sweet if it were just plug-&-play. Somehow I don't think it will be that easy. Will there be a tach signal wire already on my cx harness or will I need to tap one somewhere?

Also and assuming a vx cluster would work, since the speedometers are identical on either one, is it possible to remove the speedo gauge assemblies and swap them between the clusters so I could keep my 100k old odometer? 342,042 is just ridiculous, but big-ups to the previous owner for that! That's really impressive.

Thanks in advance for any help. And thanks again for the space.

If it ain't broke, it's not mine.
Old 06-17-2003, 10:43 PM
randomtask77
Wanderer

It's plug and play. I have a 93 DX and got a tach from a 94 LX.

You could still use your original odometer if you'd like. When you have both gauges out of the car, there are screws in the back of the cluster so you could take out the center gauge. So you're using the same odometer/speedometer in the new cluster and just plug the new cluster into your car.
Old 06-18-2003, 07:46 AM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

oh sweet!

Any advice in how to dis-assemble the dash without breaking it?
Old 06-18-2003, 07:50 AM
Section8Blammo
Crazy Canoodler

Remove the screws out of the bezel, and pop it out (Put your steering column in its lowest position to give you some room). Remove the bezel. Remove the screws from the cluster, and then unplug everything. Take your time, and you'll be just fine. Nice upgrade by the way.
Old 06-18-2003, 08:21 AM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

The problem I faced is that when I removed the two screws from the bezel of the vx donor, it didn't just pop out. It took prying with 3 hands and screw drivers all the way around the edge to get it to budge and 2 vents got broken.

I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if I broke this thing on my cx because the local Honda dealer here likes to mark up their parts 300-400% if you're not a professional mechanic. I just paid $4.25 for a dowel pin for my shifter linkage there. They wanted $67 for the 4 nuts, washers and grommets that hold the valve cover on.
Old 06-18-2003, 09:16 AM
Section8Blammo
Crazy Canoodler

Oh. Hmm. I wonder if someone makes a puller tool that does the same thing as a screw driver but also gets behind it and pulls the clips. On 6 gens, the bezel is just for the pods but I recall working on my friend's Teg, and it was a lot like you said. That is a tough one. You could ask a Honda mechanic about it on the phone probably. They're not big on helping without pay but if you twist their arm... I don't know. Good luck though again.

Edit - It's almost impossible to avoid cracking the vent clips but a modified set of tweezers (bent at 90 degrees on both prongs) would be ideal for separating them with little intrusion. I never tried it myself but it's one possibility? I wish I were more help. Doh.
Old 06-18-2003, 09:54 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WRONG!

there's 2 screws that screw in vertically right in front of the cluster. You also have to pop out your emergency flasher switch and remove the other screw behind it. Then it all popps out. I always remove the right side before the left.

HIH
Old 06-18-2003, 10:00 AM
randomtask77
Wanderer

Originally posted by westcoaststyle
WRONG!

there's 2 screws that screw in vertically right in front of the cluster. You also have to pop out your emergency flasher switch and remove the other screw behind it. Then it all popps out. I always remove the right side before the left.

HIH
:werd:

Almost everybody forgets that there is a screw behind the hazard switch. Including myself. h:
Old 06-18-2003, 10:09 AM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

Thanks for the tip on the hazard screw!!!!! That's got to be why I destroyed the bezel in the donor car. Once it went SNAP! CRACKLE! POP!, I just began smashing it to get it the rest of the way out and really didn't learn much from it. =P You gotta love the pull-it-yourself junkyards.

Thanks for the help, guys. Now for the $10 tach upgrade...

Jafro
Old 06-18-2003, 10:11 AM
randomtask77
Wanderer

Might as well buy yourself an OEM clock while you're at it. It's already prewired as well. You're gonna have to unplug it anyways if you're gonna fully take out that bezel...