Notices

Diagram of how Ingalls camber kit differs from Specialty (SPC) kit

Old 05-18-2003, 02:18 AM
agent87
Need zzzzz's

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diagram of how Ingalls camber kit differs from Specialty (SPC) kit

I was describing how the kits differ to a friend of mine so I ended up doing a really quick sketch of the different designs to show how they work....

MS Paint ownz me... h: When I said quick, I meant quick!

Here are actual pictures to make some sense of this...
Ingalls:

more pics here (taken by me) https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...threadid=55011

Specialty:

More pics here (taken by kaizix) https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...threadid=62004

So here are the differences:

The Ingalls kit rotates at a fixed point (at the bolt) and adjustment is taken care of by moving this point in toward the car body or outward towards the wheel.

The Specialty kit fixes the arm to the metal cylinder with offset bolt hole. This whole cylinder rotates as the arm moves up and down. Adjustment is taken care of by setting the position of the metal cylinder in relation to the upper control arm and bolting it down.

Interesting notes:
-The Ingalls is much easier to install and adjust IMO. With the Ingalls, you just install it and then push/pull the brackets to adjust. With the SPC kit, you have to be careful about how you bolt the cylinder position in relation to the upper control arm, as this determines your initial alignment settings. Then again, I've installed this kit 3 times and I've done the SPC kit only once.
-The Ingalls will keep the suspension movement arc simple and straight forward. With the SPC kit, the upper control arm's mounting point will actually change it's position as the control arm moves along it's arc.
-I don't know how this moving mounting point affects handling since the dynamic alignment (I don't know the correct terms for these things) will now be a function of 2 seperate arcs...the metal cylinders' and the upper control arm's. I think it should be perfectly fine though.
-I think, but I'm not yet sure, that with the SPC kit, there will be fewer problems with the upper control arm hitting the strut towers. This is because as the suspension compresses, the outer end of the UCA moves up as usual but the inner end (which is fixed to the offset cylinder) will rotate downward. This is assuming that the kit is mounted with the mounting hole initially facing inward (to the left in the pictures).

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. I hope this clears up any confusion people may have had in the past.
Old 05-18-2003, 07:18 AM
Motohip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very good and helpfull post :thumbup: