Notices

coilover/camber install

Old 04-08-2003, 09:19 AM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Follow instructions and use the equipment properly, and you wont have any problems like this. You probably tightened one side unevenly or too far... Its really perfectly safe if you do it the right way.
Old 04-08-2003, 09:57 AM
NoRiCeHeRe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: coilover/camber install

Originally posted by ZimZimma13
Hi I'm new to posting....although I've been reading alot of old posts and learned alot of info! Thanks!

I have GC coilovers and Ingalls camber kit on the way and I cant decide between trying to install myself or having a shop do it. I read some old posts and you guys make it sound like coils are easy to do if you have time and semi know what you're doing. But what about the camber kit??? Can I install it and try to adjust it then just bring it to the shop and have them adjust the camber, alignment etc? I'll pay if I have to but im in college so money is tight and im still making car payments so i want to save money. by the way my car is a 98 EX coupe. Also If anyone found a site with some pics of doing this type of install that would be great. Thanks
I am looking into buying some springs as well. How much did those run you $$$?
Old 04-08-2003, 10:42 AM
ZimZimma13
Boston Dirt Dog

Default Re: Re: coilover/camber install

Originally posted by NoRiCeHeRe
I am looking into buying some springs as well. How much did those run you $$$?

You want springs or coilovers? theres a difference. I have special edition ground control coilovers and they cost me 278 shipped to my house. I got them off groupbuycenter.com If you're getting springs or coils you should be getting a camber kit too (I got Ingalls:thumbup: )
Old 04-08-2003, 10:46 AM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Default Re: Re: Re: coilover/camber install

If you're getting springs or coils you should be getting a camber kit too (I got Ingalls:thumbup: )
Not if youre a cheap-ass like me. I got custom rate ground control coilovers, and I just leave the ride hight jacked up to almost stock.... I too po for a camber kit.:exnbp:
Old 04-23-2003, 09:50 AM
ZimZimma13
Boston Dirt Dog

So I jacked up the front end of my car this past weekend and started to try to install my coilovers and camber kit, but I'm clueless Im afraid I'll f**k something up. My dad is gonna try to get some of his mechanically inclined buddys to help me in a few weeks but If not ill have to pay to have it installed. Local shop quoted me at 300 for install, plus I'd have to take it to the next town for an alignment because they dont do them. IF IF I have to pay is that an ok deal???
Old 04-23-2003, 10:29 AM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

You can install it yourself.... We'll give you the help you need. PM me for instructions or questions or whatever. You don't need to waste your money paying someone else to do it. All you need is a good socket set, a jack, jackstands or cinderblocks and a spring compressor.
Old 04-23-2003, 07:43 PM
Cashis EG8
Registered Rota Dealer

For that $300 the shop is going to charge you, spend it on a Helms manual, some good tools, and pizza and beer for your buddies instead
Old 04-23-2003, 07:47 PM
ZimZimma13
Boston Dirt Dog

I actually downloaded the entire 1000+ page manual to my computer:thumbup: found it in an old thread I'm hopefully gonna try to do it all in two weeks when Im outta school. Hopefully my Rotas are in by then too
Old 04-24-2003, 06:50 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

:thumbup: let us know how it works out.
Old 04-24-2003, 07:19 PM
agent87
Need zzzzz's

So I jacked up the front end of my car this past weekend and started to try to install my coilovers and camber kit, but I'm clueless Im afraid I'll f**k something up. My dad is gonna try to get some of his mechanically inclined buddys to help me in a few weeks but If not ill have to pay to have it installed. Local shop quoted me at 300 for install, plus I'd have to take it to the next town for an alignment because they dont do them. IF IF I have to pay is that an ok deal???
It's really not very hard at all. I know where you're coming from though. If you've never done it before and you haven't yet read through the Helms, it can seem confusing. The only thing that you need to be concerned most with is removing the stock springs...but you've gotten a lot of input on that already. I've thought about doing a write up for swapping suspensions but I think there are a ton of them out there already.

$300 is a LOT of money IMO. You can get a pretty nice toolset for that much. In reality, all you really need to do most suspension related jobs on a civic are:

-3/8" drive ratchet
-a bar to slip over the ratchet for leverage
-10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 17mm regular sockets
-14mm deep socket
-a 17mm wrench or another 17mm socket on a ratchet or breaker bar

I very much recommend the following (although when I first worked on suspensions, I didn't have this stuff):
-at least 1 pair of jackstands
-a jack with at least an 18" max lift height
-a pair of 2x4s if that jack's min lift height is higher than your car's jack points
-wheel chocks (or 4x4" blocks of wood)

Some other nice things to have are:
-a hammer (preferably a BFH )
-a sturdy large screwdriver or punch
-another small jack
-a buddy to help out

Good luck though and keep us updated.