Notices

window tint removal..need advice

Old 12-22-2002, 08:21 PM
97Civic123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default window tint removal..need advice

I was planning on taking off my window tint. I have the thick johnson n johnson tint film. I've seen it done before..the guy just tear it off, and use a window scraper to get rid of the adhesive. Is there any other parts I'm missing. Like should I use soap or some kind of window spray, something to deal with the adhesive. Also how do I deal with the rear with the defrost lines going across. Cant really scrape the rear without cutting the lines somehow. I have a coupe so it's really tight back there. Any advice before I begin.
Old 12-22-2002, 09:10 PM
Bakeoff
wooooo woooooooooo

razor blades, a bottle of rubbing alcohol, aand a bottle of booze. Use the last one to the point that the first one won't hurt you, then use the second to aid in the use of the first.

Now seriously, just rip it in as large of chunks as you can. On the back window, you may want to use a scotch brite pad with rubbing alcohol. Shouldn't damage the defroster.
Old 12-22-2002, 10:28 PM
negativecamber

The easiest way to do it is to use some Simple Green. Hear me out as I know what I am talkin about and have done it plenty of times before. Get a bottle of Simple Green and 2 large garbage bags. Spray the back window down with the Simple Green(soak it) then, place the bags against the window so they cling to it. Leave them there all day in the sunlight or overnight. Then, just grab the corner of the tint and most of it will come right off. You can get the excess with a brillo pad and windex. On the side windows just grab the corner and pull until it all comes off in one piece, then spray windex and scrape the rest with a razor blade.
Old 12-23-2002, 03:19 AM
randomtask77
Wanderer

Originally posted by negativecamber
The easiest way to do it is to use some Simple Green. Hear me out as I know what I am talkin about and have done it plenty of times before. Get a bottle of Simple Green and 2 large garbage bags. Spray the back window down with the Simple Green(soak it) then, place the bags against the window so they cling to it. Leave them there all day in the sunlight or overnight. Then, just grab the corner of the tint and most of it will come right off. You can get the excess with a brillo pad and windex. On the side windows just grab the corner and pull until it all comes off in one piece, then spray windex and scrape the rest with a razor blade.
I should try this as the tint on my rear windshield is all fawked up. But I just don't know about using a brillo pad where the defrosters would be though...
Old 12-23-2002, 07:17 AM
aux
More Black on Black Crime

sweet. im going to do this soon.
Old 12-23-2002, 07:38 AM
97Civic123

will the simple green mess up the car interior like the panels or seats? never used that stuff before.
Old 12-23-2002, 02:48 PM
CivicEXR99
Vladamirious

simple green. Put towels down on your interior.