Notices

NGK vs bosch spark plugs

Old 08-25-2007, 06:21 PM
mason rocket
my 2 cense

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NGK vs bosch spark plugs

My 94 civic left me stranded last week on the side of the road over 100 miles from home. Just died on me. I knew it was either the fuel delivery or spark but was at the mercy of the local dealer to have it fixed. Turned out to be the coil but they said NGK spark plugs are the only ones that work correctly. I have been using platinum plugs for a while and just wondering of it will make any diff as far as component wear. Are anything except ngk plugs not reccomended?
Old 08-25-2007, 06:27 PM
fathergoat
:3

NGK is the best option.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:05 PM
Fuse

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NGK plugs, wires, cap and rotor.

http://www.hondata.com/techksparkplugs.html this is good info. By this info denso are ok. Look on your hood there should be a little sticker telling you the part number for the plug cant go wrong.

Last edited by Fuse; 08-25-2007 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:35 AM
vietnamese_boi

better to use ngk, honda's have tendency to have problems with the bosch's
Old 08-26-2007, 07:11 AM
mason rocket
my 2 cense

what problems? Can anyone explain what can go bad if I dont use NGK?
Old 08-26-2007, 09:11 AM
Fuse

Look at my link.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:15 PM
mason rocket
my 2 cense

Ok the data says to use plugs with an integral resistor. it goes further to say that most plugs out there today are of this type. this is the main point. That said, if other brand plugs have built in resistor too then it should make no difference. both the denso links and ngk links again stress to use plugs with built in resistor. Any plug with built in resistor should do just fine according to this. feel free to correct me on this.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:55 AM
Fuse

Originally Posted by mason rocket
Ok the data says to use plugs with an integral resistor. it goes further to say that most plugs out there today are of this type. this is the main point. That said, if other brand plugs have built in resistor too then it should make no difference. both the denso links and ngk links again stress to use plugs with built in resistor. Any plug with built in resistor should do just fine according to this. feel free to correct me on this.
True. Do you have an integral resistor plug?
NGKs Its what Honda recommends why fight it? Honda designed the engine. Use the part finder
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_su...t.asp?mode=nml

Honda uses platinum plugs in the new cars with coil pack system and standard plugs in the single coil distributor systems. It is easier to fire a standard plug as apposed to a platinum plug (platinum plugs use a small tip and platinum have more resistants). http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/product...r.asp?mode=nml " Lowers ignition system voltage requirements" standard plug. Coil pack systems have more time to recharge the coils because thy have so many (one per plug) you only have one coil that is now working over time to fire the platinum plugs (this is only at higher rpms) this may be why you coil died (only a theory).

Think about it on a coil on plug system at 5000 rpms the individual coil only has to fire 2500 times. On a distributor system at 5000 rpms your single coil has to fire 10000 times. Their is a power stroke every 180 degrees on the crank.

I personally have ran into misfire codes with the use of bosh platinums in a engine that desired the use of standard plugs. But hay its not like thy miss all the time its your car. Misfires only effects gas mileage and power it will not damage your engine it can however damage you cat because all the extra HC's (this will take a lot of time). I would at least switch to a normal plug. Just try a set of NGKs for a bit if you do not like them switch back. NGKs speak for them selves.

I will agree platinums sound better due to long life and thy are harder to foul out thy are a better designed plug. Used in the proper ignition system platinums are great. On some Honda's thy do not recommend a change of plugs for 105 k. Thy are used in the new J and K series engine.

I also found this http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_su...d.asp?mode=nml pull a plug see how it looks maybe even take a pick to help us put the platinum question to rest. I would like to know if I'm wrong or rite if you don't mind ether way you question will be answered by you. I'm guessing you will find your plugs wet or dry fouled.

Last edited by Fuse; 08-27-2007 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:59 AM
shirley
CBOTY 2010

Originally Posted by mason rocket
what problems? Can anyone explain what can go bad if I dont use NGK?
nothing will go wrong if you don't use NGK as long as you use the correct plug for the application.

it wont hurt anything to run a bosch or champion or ac or autolite plug in your motor. honda just recommends NGK because thats what came in the car originally. if you don't have NGK's in the car dont freak thinking you will hurt the motor
Old 08-27-2007, 10:16 AM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by rebeld
nothing will go wrong if you don't use NGK as long as you use the correct plug for the application.

it wont hurt anything to run a bosch or champion or ac or autolite plug in your motor. honda just recommends NGK because thats what came in the car originally. if you don't have NGK's in the car dont freak thinking you will hurt the motor
though I would rec. staying away from the bosch platinum 4's. The gapping isn't right on them for the application, and they are non gappable plugs. My car ran like absolute garbage when I put them in. I switched back to the proper NGK's and it ran like a dream. Same thing happened in my roommates GSR swapped EG.

Quick Reply: NGK vs bosch spark plugs