Notices

are aem cold air intakes worth the big $$$?

Old 09-11-2006, 11:53 AM
asiandoood
sancho on the sizzide!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ddd4114
A little bit, yes.

they are not dangerous if you know what you're doing. You probably hydrolocked your engine because you ran through an obviously deep puddle with the throttle partially (or heaven forbid, all the way) open. I've driven with mine in monsoon-like conditions, and I've never had a problem.

no, they don't. If you're going to put on a bypass valve, just stick with a SRI.

I concur

Originally Posted by mberndt
LOFL
Dude you are a complete ASS...

I know what I am doing, trust me... this happened like 4 years ago, when I thought I would never see a deep puddle... Well I had to get home from work, and it was raining like hell, I hit a puddle, and it was too late... Besides my car is lowered and it was in PA... And I shut my motor off before I was fully submerged, so don't assume I drive around looking for monstrous puddles to drive through,

I NEVER thought I would have a problem, guess what? I did, and so can you, but if you want to attack me because I am trying to tell you FROM EXPERIENCE that it can happen, then fine, go ahead... When you hydrolock your motor, don't come crying to me, cause I told ya so...

I've driven in monsoon conditions too MANY, MANY times. Do you want a cookie? It just has to happen once, obviously you want to take that chance... Go ahead, be ignorant, it can happen to you too...

As for the AEM bypass valve, I never had one, but I have seen videos of an NSX with a fully submerged filter and a bypass filter, and it does work, as seen in the video...

So, don't be an ass next time... Thanks

I dont think it was a personal attack. Most cases on hydrolocked engines with SRI's are events of submerged filters with WOT and no bypass valves. It is very hard to hydrolock the engine unless you totally submerge the filter with the throttle open.

But this could/couldn't happen case by case. :dunno:
Old 09-11-2006, 12:00 PM
ColeM
Banned

My frined had an intake that wasn't aem, just a good filter worked great untill the car hit a tree.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:02 PM
Buyimports2

Originally Posted by ddd4114
they are not dangerous if you know what you're doing. You probably hydrolocked your engine because you ran through an obviously deep puddle with the throttle partially (or heaven forbid, all the way) open.
I know, all those idiots should have just turned on their propellors and flown over those puddles, because it was obviously the drivers fault and not the fact that CAI filter is like 2 inches from the ground.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:47 PM
mberndt

Originally Posted by asiandoood
I concur

I dont think it was a personal attack. Most cases on hydrolocked engines with SRI's are events of submerged filters with WOT and no bypass valves. It is very hard to hydrolock the engine unless you totally submerge the filter with the throttle open.

But this could/couldn't happen case by case. :dunno:
First this is directed to ddd4114 Do you think that I purposely drove my CAI equipped, lowered car into large puddles? If so, are you retarded . After all this is what your first post said.

As for Asiandood, you concur with what? The fact that hydrolocking is caused by a submerged filter? So do I... No argument there...

You say "Most cases on hydrolocked engines with SRI's are events of submerged filters with WOT and no bypass valves."

I thought we were talking about CAI's... How would an SRI be submerged in water without the entire car and engine being submerged also?

You also say "It is very hard to hydrolock the engine unless you totally submerge the filter with the throttle open"

This is a wrong assumption. I got a bent connecting rod that I will show you , that came from exactly what you say is very hard to do....
Here is what happened:
I turned left onto a street, in the dark, where there was standing water, approximately 2 feet high, as I turned and my car became submerged, I immediately turned off the motor, but it was too late. The engine was idling when it was hydrolocked, and the motor was most certianly not at WOT, yet I still hydrolocked... So yes it can be easily done without the motor being at WOT... As long as the filter is completely submerged, the engine creates negative pressure, and then it works just like a regular pump.

Bottom line is CAI's ARE dangerous, ESPECIALLY for those who regularly buy them. For me I know the dangerous side-effects, but for those who buy them cause they "add 5 hp" or "look cool" don't know any better, and sure as hell don't understand the mechanics involved in heat engines, and the fact that they can ruin their motor in a couple of seconds.

For me, I did all my work myself, others may not be so lucky, a simple cocky demeanor and the "it's not gonna happen to me" attitude can cost someone alot of money if they hydrolock their motor...

But what do you guys care about good advice, you are just looking to flame the next guy on these boards...

P.S. I'm not trying to be a dick, Asaindood, you are right for the most part, but it can happen with the engine at idle and closed throttle...

Last edited by mberndt; 09-11-2006 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:54 PM
asiandoood
sancho on the sizzide!

First this is directed to ddd4114 Do you think that I purposely drove my CAI equipped, lowered car into large puddles? If so, are you retarded . After all this is what your first post said.

As for Asiandood, you concur with what? The fact that hydrolocking is caused by a submerged filter? So do I... No argument there...

You say "Most cases on hydrolocked engines with SRI's are events of submerged filters with WOT and no bypass valves."

I thought we were talking about CAI's... How would an SRI be submerged in water without the entire car and engine being submerged also?

You also say "It is very hard to hydrolock the engine unless you totally submerge the filter with the throttle open"

Really? I got a bent connecting rod that I will show you , that came from exactly what you say is very hard to do....
Here is what happened:
I turned left onto a street, in the dark, where there was standing water, approximately 2 feet high, as I turned and my car became submerged, I immediately turned off the motor, but it was too late. The engine was idling when it was hydrolocked, and the motor was most certianly not at WOT, yet I still hydrolocked... So yes it can be easily done without the motor being at WOT... As long as the filter is completely submerged, the engine creates negative pressure, and then it works just like a regular pump.

Bottom line is CAI's ARE dangerous, ESPECIALLY for those who regularly buy them. For me I know the dangerous side-effects, but for those who buy them cause they "add 5 hp" or "look cool" don't know any better, and sure as hell don't understand the mechanics involved in heat engines, and the fact that they can ruin their motor in a couple of seconds.

For me, I did all my work myself, others may not be so lucky, a simple cocky demeanor and the "it's not gonna happen to me" attitude can cost someone alot of money if they hydrolock their motor...

But what do you guys care about good advice, you are just looking to flame the next guy on these boards...

P.S. I'm not trying to be a dick, Asaindood, you are right for the most part, but it can happen with the engine at idle and closed throttle...

Hence why I said case by case. Majority of the folks hydrolock their motors by means of what was mentioned earlier.

I don't doubt how you did yours. I'm just implying that in most cases, there was no bypass valve, a factor of a deep puddle, and open throttle was the culprit of the mishap.

I've seen bent valves caused by potholes. Interesting eh?
Old 09-11-2006, 06:53 PM
Evil_Omen

I personally went with a shortram intake with a cold ar box on it. works fine for me and i def dont have to worry about sucking up tons of water
Old 09-11-2006, 08:09 PM
ddd4114

No, that was not intended to be an attack or anything of the sort. I don't in any way believe that you purposely hydrolocked your engine - that would be retarded. I apologize for coming off like a dick, but I'm just tired of people thinking that they had absolutely nothing to do with hydrolocking their CAI-equipped car.

In your case - you didn't do anything retarded, like drive full throttle through a river. However, when you lower your car, you lower the filter, and it becomes that much easier to hydrolock your engine. Also, how fast were you going around that turn? What was the road/terrain like? If you know the road might be flooded (2' is pretty deep - that would certainly hydrolock your engine at idle), you might want to exercise caution, if not completely avoid it.

My filter sits a good foot off the ground (I can't measure it exactly; the car is 4 hours away from me right now), and the water level would have to exceed that height for the engine to start sucking up a dangerous amount of water. However, during and after it rains, I make sure I drive extra cautiously and only take major roads. If I see a puddle that looks deep, I make sure I slow down and avoid it. If I don't think I can avoid it, I take a detour. If I can't do either, I'd pull over and shut off my engine (haven't had this situation yet). I'd rather pay $50 for a tow than render my car useless.

I thought we were talking about CAI's...
me, too. I think he meant CAI, but typed SRI by mistake.

For me I know the dangerous side-effects, but for those who buy them cause they "add 5 hp" or "look cool" don't know any better, and sure as hell don't understand the mechanics involved in heat engines, and the fact that they can ruin their motor in a couple of seconds.

Don't think that I didn't consider the risk that I might hydrolock my engine when I installed my CAI. I know perfectly well the "mechanics involved in a heat engine", and I realize I could destroy mine if I'm not careful. Is there a chance of me hydrolocking my engine? Absolutely. Will I take every precaution to make sure that doesn't happen? Again - absolutely. I guess I'm guilty of having the "it's not gonna happen to me attitude", but I weighed the consequences, and when I bend a rod, you can say "I told you so".

Oh - and for the bypass filter: I'm not saying it doesn't do it's job. I don't want one because it virtually negates any power gains of a CAI over a SRI. Also, if you're that afraid, then buy a SRI in the first place.

$210 for a CAI + $50 for a bypass valve vs. $80 for a SRI (assuming new AEM products)
Old 09-12-2006, 06:46 AM
19.3secS2K
my bum is on the swedish!

Originally Posted by 18secFerio
K&N drop-in filter, stock airbox

save yourself time and money

:stupid: this man is a genius
Old 09-12-2006, 08:35 AM
Buyimports2

Originally Posted by 18secFerio
:stupid: this man is a genius
Doesn't gain any power though, which is usually the point of getting a CAI or SRI. The new filter may flow better, but the stock airbox setup is mainly what restricts the flow.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:00 PM
19.3secS2K
my bum is on the swedish!

Originally Posted by Buyimports2
Doesn't gain any power though, which is usually the point of getting a CAI or SRI. The new filter may flow better, but the stock airbox setup is mainly what restricts the flow.
integra air box's seem fine to me :dunno:

my car doesn't benifit from filter-on-a-stick h: