Notices

are aem cold air intakes worth the big $$$?

Old 09-07-2006, 12:28 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lambert
I think AEM intakes are worth the money. For one they use the best piping you can get, and they use K&N air filters. But on the Short Ram or Cold Air, it doesn't really matter, they do about the same.
how is aem's piping better? its a piece of aluminum. they have different diameter's for different applications. :hsdunno:
Old 09-07-2006, 12:47 PM
ElCoqui19

I'll sell you my AEM V2 for 180,has bout 5000 miles and a minor scratch,only thing you'll need are vacum hoses.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:52 PM
ReVenGe

another question i have is the breather valves they you can put on your valve cover.... instead of having the tube that connects to the aI pipe... does that realy make a difference?
Old 09-07-2006, 04:33 PM
Omniscient
warm butter on toast

Originally Posted by ReVenGe
another question i have is the breather valves they you can put on your valve cover.... instead of having the tube that connects to the aI pipe... does that realy make a difference?
Not really. You'll just get gas and oil fumes in your engine bay from the PCV system.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:00 PM
asiandoood
sancho on the sizzide!

Originally Posted by ReVenGe

It is better to recirculate the breather than to vent it to the atmosphere.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:19 AM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

Originally Posted by asiandoood
It is better to recirculate the breather than to vent it to the atmosphere.
better for who, the atmosphere or your engine! h:

i'll be damed if i'm gonna recirculate the brether in front of my turbo so that shit can blast the hell out of my impeller!
Old 09-11-2006, 11:08 AM
ddd4114

Originally Posted by asiandoood
So in his case, if emissions are not an issue, the cheaper route may be better. But for CA. emissions, an AEM would be a better choice because of the CARB certification and new style filter :dunno:
That's my opinion, too - however, I would never pay the $200 price tag for a new AEM CAI. I got a used one for $80, and I'm very happy with it.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:13 AM
mberndt

CAI are over-rated...

They are dangerous for the most part...

Ask someone (like me) who has had his engine hydrolocked because of one of these CAI's and you are certain to get this answer "they suck"

IMO, use a short ram, MAYBE lose 1-2 hp (this is debate-able), but it's much safer... Or just use an AEM bypass valve, they work good too...
Old 09-11-2006, 11:20 AM
ddd4114

Originally Posted by mberndt
CAI are over-rated...
A little bit, yes.

They are dangerous for the most part...

Ask someone (like me) who has had his engine hydrolocked because of one of these CAI's and you are certain to get this answer "they suck"
they are not dangerous if you know what you're doing. You probably hydrolocked your engine because you ran through an obviously deep puddle with the throttle partially (or heaven forbid, all the way) open. I've driven with mine in monsoon-like conditions, and I've never had a problem.

Or just use an AEM bypass valve, they work good too...
no, they don't. If you're going to put on a bypass valve, just stick with a SRI.

Sorry to be an ass, but I had to say it.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:33 AM
mberndt

Originally Posted by ddd4114
A little bit, yes.

they are not dangerous if you know what you're doing. You probably hydrolocked your engine because you ran through an obviously deep puddle with the throttle partially (or heaven forbid, all the way) open. I've driven with mine in monsoon-like conditions, and I've never had a problem.

no, they don't. If you're going to put on a bypass valve, just stick with a SRI.

Sorry to be an ass, but I had to say it.
LOFL
Dude you are a complete ASS...

I know what I am doing, trust me... this happened like 4 years ago, when I thought I would never see a deep puddle... Well I had to get home from work, and it was raining like hell, I hit a puddle, and it was too late... Besides my car is lowered and it was in PA... And I shut my motor off before I was fully submerged, so don't assume I drive around looking for monstrous puddles to drive through,

I NEVER thought I would have a problem, guess what? I did, and so can you, but if you want to attack me because I am trying to tell you FROM EXPERIENCE that it can happen, then fine, go ahead... When you hydrolock your motor, don't come crying to me, cause I told ya so...

I've driven in monsoon conditions too MANY, MANY times. Do you want a cookie? It just has to happen once, obviously you want to take that chance... Go ahead, be ignorant, it can happen to you too...

As for the AEM bypass valve, I never had one, but I have seen videos of an NSX with a fully submerged filter and a bypass filter, and it does work, as seen in the video...

So, don't be an ass next time... Thanks

Last edited by mberndt; 09-11-2006 at 11:36 AM.