Notices

!!! is this true !!!

Old 12-06-2005, 10:43 PM
Highmile
VX Hatch with 431,500!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kestrel
That's totally wrong actually. Acetone has a lower flash point than octane, and because it is a lighter molecule, it's flame speeds tend to be higher. While the autoignition temp is higher for acetone, this is a none issue as you are using a spark plug to light off the mixture anyway. So it is actually easier to light off acetone than octane. And since you're using ounces (as compared to gallons of gasoline) chances are it's not going to do anything anyway.

That said, I fail to see how this will help your fuel economy. Your car burns approximately 95-99% of the hydrocarbons introduced into the cylinder through running as lean as possible and EGR. So, really the best you can do is about another 5% in fuel economy using the same thermodynamic cycle (ie without totally redesigning the engine). Also, there are issues with seal compatibility and acetone, which may or may not be an issue since the amount of acetone is so small.
Hey guys, don't flame me on this because I don't KNOW the FACTS, just what I have learned over the last few days of reading...

Octane is a rating system, not a thing you can look at or hold. The octane rating for acetone is about 150 (from what I read). When you ad the acetone to your gas, you should use PURE acetone only, NOT fingernail polish remover. You only ad about 1-3 ounces of acetone to 10 gallons of gas (with no alcohol added preferably). You aren't looking for a higher octane rating with the acetone but are using it to break the surface tension that gas molecules have for one another. This way the gas will supposedly be a finer mist when it goes into the cylinder. The gas will burn more completely and that means more power per unit of gas which means better MPG or just enjoy the added few HP at the wheels. Also get lower emissions and a cleaner, longer lasting engine. As far as the cost goes, yes, acetone is way more expensive than gas per gallon but you aren't using gallons of the stuff. One quart should last you for 150-300 gallons of fuel. Really a cheap additive. They claim that engine parts soaked in 100% pure acetone (not mixed with gas) did cause some swelling in gaskets or seals (can't remember which), but you aren't going to be using 100% acetone but rather 7/100ths of 1% on the low end 2/10ths of 1% on the high end, depending on how much acetone gets you the best gains. That's 1 ounce to 1280 ounces of gas.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:06 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i know that they sell isoprophyl slcohol as a fuel injector cleaner
Old 12-07-2005, 06:49 AM
Flatland2D

There is some good discussion about this and other fuel economy mods at the Gas Savers link in my sig.

Highmile pretty much summed it up. The going theory is that acetone will break the surface tension of gas allowing for a finer mist and more complete combustion. People also claim reduced emissions but I doubt any of those people had the tools to test that. Some people say they notice their engine runs smoother/quieter. I think that's probably in their head, but there has been a lot of research into this that it might be worth a try. The ratio of acetone is so small you don't have to worry about it harming any seals. The guy that started this has soaked fuel injector parts in pure acetone for something like a year with no bad effects.

I was about to try this in my car, but I got busy and then didn't have a full tank of gas for a while to calculate MPG off of. You do have to use the 100% pure acetone, it'll usually say on the label. I'm still thinking about trying this, even though it's hard not to have any reservations about it. Fuel economy mods/research is somewhat of a hobby to me.

Here's a link with a bunch more info and a countless number of people who have tried it and posted their results.
http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directo..._Fuel_Additive
Old 12-07-2005, 07:25 AM
JDMPONY00

esaiest way to improve gas mileage? keep your foot out of it!
Old 12-07-2005, 07:46 AM
dank24

I also heard paint thinner works also to really clean out the engine and stuff
Old 12-07-2005, 08:05 AM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

Find yourself an o-ring. Put the o-ring in the acetone overnight, check on it after a few days and see what condition it's in. There are lots of o-rings and rubber parts throughout your fuel system. So what about the gas mileage, worry about all the parts that carry the gas to the engine. You should test Acetone's affect on rubber and plastic before even entertaining the idea. From what I recall, it can dissolve both. Gasoline does not.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:13 AM
Kestrel
Push to shock!

I still don't believe it. Like I said earlier, modern cars burn well above 98% of all hydrocarbons in their fuel. Even if you could burn the last 2%, the amount of gain you would see in MPG is on the order of 2%. Also, if the amount of acetone is so small to prevent damage to any fuel systems, why would it have any profound effect on the properties of the gasoline? I mean, we are talking about 1 acetone part to every 1000 gasoline parts.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:14 AM
Highmile
VX Hatch with 431,500!

Originally Posted by JDMPONY00
esaiest way to improve gas mileage? keep your foot out of it!
that goes without saying. some of us already have our foot out of it.

I'm going to be trying it as soon as I have some decent measuring devices and an appropriate funnel. I'll let you guys know.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:14 AM
JDMPONY00

Originally Posted by Highmile
that goes without saying. some of us already have our foot out of it.

I'm going to be trying it as soon as I have some decent measuring devices and an appropriate funnel. I'll let you guys know.
just a joke highmile lighten up
Old 12-14-2005, 06:29 PM
flappy188
O.G. SON!

very informative thread, 2 kudos to the poster.

Bump. anyone here try this yet?