Notices

Fast Idle Problem

Old 10-27-2005, 09:08 AM
Highmile
VX Hatch with 431,500!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have now put the o2 sensor in form the other engine. It's giving me a #48 code now but the #41 is gone.
I set the timing with my grandpas ancient light (that was a pain because the light was intermitent)
The engine runs fast sometimes but overall, it is slower. It has started to "hunt" at low RPMs now. I really didn't want to spend $300+ for a new o2 sensor.

I drive at work for the next 5 days so I'll get more feedback from the car tonight.

I had the spark plug problem with some split fires I put in like 7 years ago. they worked at first and then ran shitty like dEfused described. I took it to the dealer and spent a bunch of money just to find that split fires dont work in a honda. I've used NGK ever since. They don't last as long as others but they run great.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:19 PM
dE.fUsEd
I still like honda's. :-/

Originally Posted by Highmile
I have now put the o2 sensor in form the other engine. It's giving me a #48 code now but the #41 is gone.
I set the timing with my grandpas ancient light (that was a pain because the light was intermitent)
The engine runs fast sometimes but overall, it is slower. It has started to "hunt" at low RPMs now. I really didn't want to spend $300+ for a new o2 sensor.

I drive at work for the next 5 days so I'll get more feedback from the car tonight.

I had the spark plug problem with some split fires I put in like 7 years ago. they worked at first and then ran shitty like dEfused described. I took it to the dealer and spent a bunch of money just to find that split fires dont work in a honda. I've used NGK ever since. They don't last as long as others but they run great.
you can get a bosch replacement O2 sensor from Pep Boys or Checkers Auto parts for like $40.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:15 PM
Highmile
VX Hatch with 431,500!

Originally Posted by dE.fUsEd
you can get a bosch replacement O2 sensor from Pep Boys or Checkers Auto parts for like $40.
I'll look that up now...

While I'm doing that, someone mentioned spark plugs making fast idle. I wonder if the fuel doesn't get burned right, maybe the sensors pick up on it and try to ad air and then it races? just a thought.

The Pep Boys site sucks. I can't shop from it. I don't have a Pep Boys near me in KC.

Checkers' site had a shopable feature. They ranged from $299 down to $69.29. Hard to tell if They will all fit my VX even though that's what I entered. http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL...=Oxygen+Sensor
Old 11-01-2005, 09:11 AM
rampage918

My car does that rev high thing when I press the clutch also, but its weird because if I turn the car off and the back on the idle does a similiar thing but it idles a little bit lower.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:26 PM
Highmile
VX Hatch with 431,500!

After much research and checking around, and after seeing an OEM o2 sensor sell for $250 shipped on Ebay, and finding the stock sensor for the '92-'95 VX Hatch (non california) D15Z1 from $185 to $400+... I've learned that the OEM part is a 5 wire...

NTK/NGK #L1H1 (The updated and better part is the L2H2)
Honda part #36531-P07-003 (says NTK L1H1 right on it)
Bosch buys this part from NTK and calls it a #13246

I searched high and low and found Auto Zone to have it for $84.99 (Bosch #13246) and found a $10 gas card rebate on the Bosch website (if part purchased before 12-31-05). I ordered the sensor last night and will pick it up today.

I have 2 sensors that both have problems. The one that gives the code 48 makes the car run both fast and causes many surges and overall crappy driving. The one that gave the code 41 (o2 heater problem) causes fast idle, but the car drives really smooth. I can't wait to get the new part in and start saving fuel.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:58 AM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

Yes. A VX sensor is a 5-wire heated sensor. The DX uses a 4-wire heated sensor. The CX uses a 1-wire non-heated o2 sensor. The sensor must match the ECU, not the engine used. The location of the sensor is critical for accuracy of the o2 readings.