Notices

Correct Crank Pulley tool for 92 civic DX

Old 09-14-2005, 12:40 PM
dpkelly
1999 Civic Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Correct Crank Pulley tool for 92 civic DX

My 1992 civic DX to my shock and horror does not have the nice hex indentation on the crank pulley to allow easier removal of the crank bolt. Now, what I'm wondering is, if this tool is correct?

If not, then I'll grudglingly use the method of removing the starter motor. I don't like the idea of blocking the flywheel by removing the bell housing due to the risk of warping the tranny housing.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:13 PM
huviduc

use a chain or strap wrench to hold the pully still and then just take the bolt out as you normally would. i have done it many times on mine. works fine
Old 09-14-2005, 02:53 PM
PDiggityDogg
Meanwhile, up in The D

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive seen people jam big bolts into pulleys too (long ways, so not to break the pulley guides) or just throw the car into reverse
Old 09-22-2005, 12:41 PM
icyfingers

don't bother with jam bolts, or trying to start you're engine with a socket wrench on it.

That tool is AMAZING!!!!!

I had tried everything from a 1,000 ft/lb impact to trying to make my own contraption. Over a period of 3 weeks i was fighting with that fucking thing. The day i got that tool, it took me more time to open the box and get it out than to use it.

i highly recommend getting this.
i got mine from skyway tool online, and it came with a long breaker(cheater) bar.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:48 PM
Omniscient
warm butter on toast

Originally Posted by icyfingers
don't bother with jam bolts, or trying to start you're engine with a socket wrench on it.

That tool is AMAZING!!!!!

I had tried everything from a 1,000 ft/lb impact to trying to make my own contraption. Over a period of 3 weeks i was fighting with that fucking thing. The day i got that tool, it took me more time to open the box and get it out than to use it.

i highly recommend getting this.
i got mine from skyway tool online, and it came with a long breaker(cheater) bar.
What's it called? I want one now haha. But I can't find it.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:34 PM
dpkelly
1999 Civic Driver

Thanks for the feedback. I just picked one up at amazon.com. I'm going to try it in the near future to check out my water pump. It's made by powerbuilt. You can buy from amazon.com. Here's the link:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...95923?v=glance

This is for the crankpulley that does NOT have the hex indentation BTW.

If you have a hex indentation, then you're lucky and you can use this tool.

Here's the link:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...?v=glance&s=hi

I was paranoid that the one for the non-hex crank pulleys would warp the pulley.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:22 AM
Alfred5279

WOW cool tools!!!! I wish i had those...

You can fight it all day, i know. Ive done many timing belts and this is the hardest part..

What i do is just drive it to the local garage and make sure they got a really high power imact wrench... you will notice that there is a hole in the plastic cover where the bolt is.

Just drive up, and turn your wheels to the left. and they should be able to reach under with an impact wrench while the car is still on the ground.. Have em break it free, then tighten again and drive home, and take it off..

I spent 500bucks on a new compresor with impact wrench once, and still couldn't break it free,,

So make sure that garage has a heavy duty one... or they wont be able to take it off.. And dont forget to tip the guy..

-al