Notices

92 civic hb d15b7 swap to d16z6

Old 02-24-2005, 04:10 AM
kameone
i don't know

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 civic hb d15b7 swap to d16z6

I have a 92 civic hb I had the engine d15b7 swaped for a d16z6 at a local shop,( the engine was free) the guy who did the swap said that the engine started good after the swap but now it isn't starting at all. I had the engine, tranny, and ecu all swaped. the only mod I have on the egine itself is msd, he says it is electrical but he can't figure it out. the engine ran great before it came out of the 4th gen civic that is was in. the engine was swaped into that car first. Do I need a special harness or ecu mod, i am baffeled right now.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:39 AM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

Obd-0 engine in an OBD-1 car!

I didn't think that the D16z6 came in a 4th gen, but i could be wrong. Anyways, grab up a Distributor for a D16z6 from 92-95 & also make sure your running 92-95 ECU from a d16z6, i believe it's a P28.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:54 AM
Relic1
Teal Hatch Cult Member

the D16Z6 is an OBD1 engine and your '92 is an OBD1 car. The Z6 in it's original form mounts right into your '92 with almost no changes at all. And yes the Z6's ECU is the P28. Make sure you have that.
But you can run the engine OBD0 if you really want to. But it would need an adapter harness at the ECU. You'd be hurting yourself if you did that though.

It really depends on how the original owner converted the engine to work in his 4th gen and if he did the swap to run off OBD1 or not.

Going to basics... what have you checked? does the engine have spark? is it getting fuel? does the starter simply spin and spin and the engine never tries to run or does it sputter? does the starter not even spin?

I'm curious... why do you have a MSD setup? Honestly, unles you're going boost or really high compression it is overkill and a general waste of money. Plus if there is something wrong with it, it certainly would make the car not start... (unless you mean MSD wires only, that's different)
Old 02-27-2005, 08:50 PM
kameone
i don't know

When I had the engine swaped I had all of these things swaped with it: the engine, transmission, and ecu. I originally got the msd because I heard good things about it but I'm going to turbo as soon as the problem can be figured out, it's the whole system by the way and Nology wires. the guy who swaped the engine told me that the car started up fine and ran great, then it wouldn't start again, and then 1 day later it started and ran good again but failed to start later that day. Before I had the engine swaped I was having trouble starting the car. I changed the fuel pump, checked the fuel filter and cleaned the rail and injectors, still no start, Will a diagnostics tell me whats wrong or the dealership? thanks for the input I really appreciate it. KameONE