Notices

My car troubles - Honda Civic

Old 05-16-2004, 06:10 PM
Bl@ck
Sinner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ranpow
To answer some of your questions:

The car is a 2003 Honda Civic LX Sport Sedan - it was purchased at the local Honda dealership in St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada.

The problem with the rattle from the front end on the first day was a broken pipe - not a heat shield.

In Canada, there are no lemon aid laws like in the US.

I have spoken with a lawyer and she advised me that Honda's contractual obligations is to repair the car under warranty which they are doing. If I had the same problem constantly recurring I would have a case but they eventually fix the problem. Unfortunately with my car, every problem is a new one - and trust me there are alot of problems and alot of inconveniences to get it fixed.

Over the past couple of weeks, I have been in contact with Honda Canada several times and am gradually working my way up the ladder in their complaint department.

Honda Canada has stated that they have done all that they are required to do: repair the car under warranty.

Since they understand my frustation, they have offered to pay for my next regular scheduled maintenance in August (an insulting offer from my point of view) and it sounds like they are trying to impress on the dealer to give me a loaner in cases of future warranty issues. However, knowing the dealer, they will not give a loaner as they have stated on many occassions that "we do not have a loaner program or a loaner fleet". Honda Canada told me to contact them in cases where the dealer does not give me a loaner but there is one problem: I usually drop off the car in the morning when I go to work (between 8:00 and 8:30 local time) but Honda Canada's customer relations department does not open till 10:30 my time due to time zone differences.

I hear what everyone is saying and I know that everyone praises Honda - that is why I purchased the vehicle However what I am hearing and what I have heard about Honda is not what I am experiencing. That is why I feel compelled to post this message.
remind me never to buy a car in canadia, but seriously. i think you just got a lemon. it happens. i am really sorry to hear about these problems, but problems can be expected in the first year of a new body style for a car, especially in a country that has no lemon laws.
Old 05-16-2004, 06:54 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its an economy car. Like any economy car, they skimp a bit in building them, and they tend to develop problems with age. That happens with every car. Try owning an '87 supra turbo and you'll go running back to your civic crying. :chuckles:

Honestly though, those are all pretty minor problems... every car I owned had guage problems *except* my civic. The only one that is a serious malfunction would be the rad fan... sounds like you got a bit of a lemon, and I'm sorry to hear that... but don't give up hope :exnbp:
Old 05-16-2004, 06:57 PM
Kestrel
Push to shock!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pretty much have the same story as everyone else here. My family has owned two Honda's, and 88 Accord and a 00 Si. We still drive both of them (although I suspect the Accord's head gasket is going because it is starting to burn oil, but I guess at 160K miles that's to be expected).

It's not just the reliability that makes me like Honda so much. Their design is done very well, especially little things. Like the climate control switches...a lot of American car companies have the markings for their switches above the actual switch. At night, only the marking is lit up, but you have to push somewhere below it to actually hit the button. On my Civic you push the lighted mark. Little things like that make me like Honda h: