Notices

Turbo EX or JDM B16???

Old 08-09-2002, 10:54 AM
SpeedRacerEX-R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the stock d block can handle around 200 whp. I've seen it done. BTW, that d block would be the D16Z6 and D16Y8. As for squeezing and boosting, I'd save that for some JE pistons and Aftermarket rods. People boost 10 psi safely on stock internals PROPERLY TUNED. Drag kits come with a 7lb spring I believe and you should be able to run that safely. As for the piping, the B18C's intake manifold bends down instead of up. So you'll have to modify the piping, which is no big deal.
Old 08-09-2002, 11:05 AM
skubb
not that TLC sh!t either

I like the sound of a turbo spooling and a bov

I'd also like a stronger engine to though.

What is insurance like for the two? I'm not sure you'd wanna get in a wreck and have the insurance comp. find out you have a sports car engine in your grocery getter...but at the same time they might question that curvy twisted intake.

think they'd drop you and you'd be phugged if you didn't tell them?
Old 08-09-2002, 11:12 AM
tokyoracer
got JDM milk???

Originally posted by SpeedRacerEX-R
I think the stock d block can handle around 200 whp. I've seen it done. BTW, that d block would be the D16Z6 and D16Y8. As for squeezing and boosting, I'd save that for some JE pistons and Aftermarket rods. People boost 10 psi safely on stock internals PROPERLY TUNED. Drag kits come with a 7lb spring I believe and you should be able to run that safely. As for the piping, the B18C's intake manifold bends down instead of up. So you'll have to modify the piping, which is no big deal.
yup, i've seen it done too... http://www.f-max.com/D16A%20VTEC%20DYNO.htm

they were able to produce like 223HP with the fmax kit. it comes with an anti-detnation thing... i think with the package.

Originally posted by skubb
I like the sound of a turbo spooling and a bov

I'd also like a stronger engine to though.

What is insurance like for the two? I'm not sure you'd wanna get in a wreck and have the insurance comp. find out you have a sports car engine in your grocery getter...but at the same time they might question that curvy twisted intake.

think they'd drop you and you'd be phugged if you didn't tell them?
don't know about that... maybe if you tell them.. they might jack it up even more... hopefully someone will post about that. cuz i know some company ask u if the engine is modified or not... like ALL STATE. btw... i love the spooling and bov sound too... it's sooooooooo yummy~! :naughty:
Old 08-09-2002, 11:25 AM
Jeice
One Rad Dude

Whatever someone told you where a turbo EX is not faster than a swap Si is total bull ****.

My friend has a Greddy Turbo Kit w/ Intercooler on a STOCK Motor - NO INTERNAL WORK WHATSOEVER. The only thing he has done was upgrade clutch and upgrade injectors.

He dynoed 210 WHP and ran an 8.81 1/8 mile.

check out some videos of his car at

www.revlimit.cc

he is under Mike..or turbo mike in the video section.

He KILLS b16 swapped hatches..a gsr hatch..,mustangs, camaros..you name it.
Old 08-09-2002, 11:39 AM
tokyoracer
got JDM milk???

Originally posted by Jeice
Whatever someone told you where a turbo EX is not faster than a swap Si is total bull ****.

My friend has a Greddy Turbo Kit w/ Intercooler on a STOCK Motor - NO INTERNAL WORK WHATSOEVER. The only thing he has done was upgrade clutch and upgrade injectors.

He dynoed 210 WHP and ran an 8.81 1/8 mile.

check out some videos of his car at

www.revlimit.cc

he is under Mike..or turbo mike in the video section.

He KILLS b16 swapped hatches..a gsr hatch..,mustangs, camaros..you name it.
damn.. those video are tight. what psi is he boosting at???
Old 08-09-2002, 11:56 AM
Jkan2001
S2000 Pilot

Originally posted by SpeedRacerEX-R
Cool, so 7 psi should be safe for daily driving.....what kind of tuning would you have to do to safely push it up to 10 psi on bone stock internals? I don't know about that fmax kit pushing 15 psi on a stock motor for that long...from what i hear over 10 is just dying to throw a rod. Would i have to change any other piping on the turbo for the intercooler or anything?
Old 08-09-2002, 11:59 AM
tokyoracer
got JDM milk???

Originally posted by Jkan2001

Cool, so 7 psi should be safe for daily driving.....what kind of tuning would you have to do to safely push it up to 10 psi on bone stock internals? I don't know about that fmax kit pushing 15 psi on a stock motor for that long...from what i hear over 10 is just dying to throw a rod. Would i have to change any other piping on the turbo for the intercooler or anything?
well, for the fmax kit... i still wouldn't be pushing that much psi... i'll probably be doing between 5-6psi and maybe later on to 7-8 with proper tuning.
Old 08-09-2002, 12:15 PM
Jeice
One Rad Dude

i think 10 or 11 then but he got up to 16 Psi on stock internals and raced a few people.
Old 08-09-2002, 03:07 PM
yellow civic ex
ghey slow d16 modder

Originally posted by brtecson
imo, $5k would be best spent on a b18b with a t3/t04.
okay...where am i supposed to get a b18 of any kind + put a decent turbo kit on it + get it installed for $5k??? from just a little bit of research, i've found that it's either one or the other with a budget like mine.
Old 08-09-2002, 08:46 PM
Jkan2001
S2000 Pilot

Originally posted by yellow civic ex

okay...where am i supposed to get a b18 of any kind + put a decent turbo kit on it + get it installed for $5k??? from just a little bit of research, i've found that it's either one or the other with a budget like mine.
Well you can probably squeeze in under 5K if you install it yourself and dont' get a GSR...just get a LS or a cheap B20 and turbo it. I've been lookin towards the same setup and i can barely make it under 5k with a gsr and Drag 3 setup...but then again i sell motors and turbos and i'm barely making it at 5 so it might be tough.

Quick Reply: Turbo EX or JDM B16???