Notices

b18a swap help (map sensor/missing link?)

Old 01-03-2004, 09:22 PM
metalman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b18a swap help UPDATED NEED HELP!!

wussup all. im still trying to work out some kinks in my b18a block/b18b head swap. its cranking over and idleing at about a grand, but its struggling and sounds like shit. it will drop down to about 200 rpms, and then die. also, nothing happens when i have the clutch in, but when i take my foot off of it, this is when it drops down and dies (sometimes, not always, WTF?). anyway, im not throwing a CEL. a missing link is already installed on the map sensor, but im not running boost. is this the problem? can you run a missing link without boost? i understand the point of it, but how exactly does it work?

a little more info: the old map sensor was on the firewall of the civic with a tube coming off of it. the engine came with the map sensor on the intake manifold with the missing link. however, there's not a nipple to run the tube to on the new engine. so the old sensor is now unsused with the tube coming off of it going nowhere. we have the map on the intake plugged in.

also, we're not sure this is the problem. we think that it is since we arent throwing a CEL which means all other sensors are ok. also, the missing link prevents a CEL from coming on. this is a brand new motor, fully rebuilt. not a jdm that was sittin in a junkyard for 6 months.

if anyone can help, it would be much appreciated. here's a couple pics, but unfortunately i dont have a closeup since i didnt have my camera with me tonight.

Old 01-03-2004, 10:00 PM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not take the ML off and see what happens? :dunno:

I really don't see a need for it as you're not boosting.
Old 01-03-2004, 10:43 PM
metalman

the missing link is bypassing the map. how is the map going to function (it will be plugged into the harness, but not the intake to measure the pressure)? theres no hose and no where to plug it in. the more i think about it, the more i think its the map. how is it functioning now? the only thing the missing link does is prevent boost from being recognized by the computer, right? the map sensor still should function normally. how is the map sensor functioning now if it cant read the pressure?

here's what i was thinking, someone let me know if they see a problem in this. plug the old map into the harness, and take the tube and plug it into the cold air intake. there is a breather filter on the back of the valve cover so i have the cai plugged up. instead of that, can i run the map sensor to it?
Old 01-03-2004, 10:53 PM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

The OEM Bseries MAP sensor placement is right on the throttle body (all that I've seen at least). Right where you have your ML now. There's no hoses going to it, it reads vacuum right from the TB and it has a 3 wire connector plugged into it.

Need a pic of mine?
Old 01-03-2004, 11:04 PM
metalman

ahhh, ok. sorry westcoast, im still getting used to this whole b-series thing. im still in a d-series mindset, no pic necessary. so using the old one is no good and i should just take the missing link out and see what happens. aight, thanks for the info. its much appreciated. if anyone else has any ideas, let me know cuz im not absolutely positive this is the problem.
Old 01-03-2004, 11:22 PM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

:goodjob:

Glad we're on the same page now. Let us know how it goes.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:06 PM
metalman

aight, well i took the missing link off, it didnt do anything. so now, we're thinking its the fuel. there's an aem fuel rail and fuel pressure regulator, and we have no idea what it's set at. looking at the plugs, it looks as if the car is running really rich. so here's my questions:

1) can the car running too rich cause the problems i've described (idle at a grand, drop to about 200, then die)?

2) we bought a fuel pressure gauge to monitor the pressure, can we monitor and change while the car is running, or do we have to do it once, shut the car off, change it, turn the car back on, then monitor it again?

3) is the '92 civic stock fuel pump sufficient for a N/A motor? in all the swap articles that i have read about the b18a/b, i've never heard of problems with the stock fuel pump. can anyone confirm?

4) how exactly does the fuel pressure regulator work? the nut on top adjusts the pressure, correct? even the most basic info on this is appreciated cuz i've never dealt with one before.

5) anyone know how much fuel pressure i should be pumping so that i can adjust accordingly?

thanks a lot!!!