Notices

GS-R oil level

Old 02-04-2003, 05:11 PM
FURIOUSGSR01
FURIOUSRSX04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS-R oil level

i just checked my oil level and the oil seemed to be at the first hole or a little below. So i put 2 quarts of Castrol GTX and now when i check the oil it is really hard to see the oil level, the oil is so clear. Sometimes the oil level seems above the second hole and other times it seems exactly on the second hole. Suppose i put too much oil in my car will it do it any harm? Also does anybody have any tips for checkin the oil level. I followed the instructions in my owners manual, but as you all can see i leave the oil changing to my dealer. Thanks for any help.
Old 02-04-2003, 06:47 PM
thx247

hm...too much oil can cause it to be whipped up and become frothy...you could drain a little but I think you'll be fine
Old 02-04-2003, 06:49 PM
stumpyf4

Make sure you check the oil with the car on level ground, either check in the morning before you start it or check after you fill-up the gas...give the oil a chance to drain into the pan after you shut off the engine. Filling up your gas should do the trick and the gas station will have a level surface. Over filling a bit won't hurt, but putting in maybe 1 quart too much might cause the oil to foam which causes a loss in oil pressure.

PS. The bottom hole indicates 1 full quart too low.
Old 02-04-2003, 10:54 PM
FURIOUSGSR01
FURIOUSRSX04

ok, I checked my oil level again and i looked at the dip stick and the oil level was way to high above the second hole. Earlier when i looked at it, it seemed to be at the lower hole but i must have been mistaken, i put 2 quarts above the second hole. I didnt turn on my car since i added the oil. i went and drained the 2 quarts i put in and now my oil level is exactly at the second hole. That is the correct level for the oil right?? Also when i look at my dip stick i see few very tiny bubbles in the area that the oil is on. Will this be a problem? I havent turned on my car yet. Should I let it be? Thanks..
Old 02-05-2003, 06:41 AM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

You want the oil to be at the top hole. Bubbles are fine. You should turn the car on to let the oil circulate.

Oh, and are you making sure to wipe off the dipstick before you use it?
Old 02-05-2003, 10:20 PM
Red GSR

From your description, you are one quart too high now. The distance between the first hole to the second hole is 1 quart. That's how people calculate how much to put in. I'd suggest draining before you break something.
Old 02-06-2003, 07:31 AM
FURIOUSGSR01
FURIOUSRSX04

1 quart too high?? Are u sure? My oil is exactly at the top hole. Where do you keep your oil level at?