Notices

Warning to all AEM Bypass valve owners!!!

Old 03-13-2004, 07:20 AM
Mr Hyde
Accord Forum Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warning to all AEM Bypass valve owners!!!

This was cut and pasted from a cl.com members post. This is his experience, but its not an isolated one.

Personally I think the bypass valve is a waste since the filter needs to be submerged for it to do anything, and and if you drive into water that deep, theres something wrong with you.

<<I leave work last nite...car is fine.

short while into my drive home..mar acts up..sord of "pushing"me forward withuot even touching the gas pedal.

now, having my tranny replaced at 14k miles and now having only 25k miles, i thought "it couldnt be the tranny?"

Well. the symptoms got worse, and i started to lose control of the car!!..so i pulled into a nearby parking lot where i strugled to get the car to STOP.
Finally, stopped the car and shut it off..keys out of the ignition.

waited a few minutes and then restarted the car withuot any problems.
Shortly after my second attempt to get home...my car completly went out of control..sord of like on "autopilot"
without touching the accelerator, my car sped to approx 65mph, brakes did me no good at this point....the cars accelerator was stuck, red lights..HERE I COME!
i had to blow through a red light, around cars stopped at the light.
Finally, i got to my turn, but one problem, the car was still doing 40mph and the turn was 90 degrees. SO..i went for it...car felt like it was on two wheels, i couldnt believe i made the turn.

Finally, the car started to accellerate again and this time,...i was headed to a bunch of cars stopped at a four way stop sign,
I had 2 options, stop the car some how with the brakes , or
USE A TREE!
The later option definetly seemed the more likely of the two, until by the grace of god....my car bucked, i thew it into neutral, then jammed the E-brake, and then put it in park , doing approx 50 mph from the time i put it in neutral.

THe car screeched to a halt, sideways, about 75ft from the TREE i thought i may have to use. I took the keys out of the car, and jumped out..thinking like the car was gonna catch fire from the awful smell tha filled the cabin.
Either way,....i was safe, some how, i was out of the car safe.
I called the ACURA dealership close by and told them, they were warned that i would be in around closing time. I called TLC acura care, and they were out there for me in approx 25mins with a tow truck. I hitched a ride to the dealership with a friend and with no questions asked..was given a TSX loaner...(not bad either, bodyit, all the extras).

So..the problem????...MY AEM CAI BY-PASS VALVE threw one of its "rubber rings" into my friggin throttle body!!!!!!!
Do you believe this shit!?

Who do i have to call at AEM to get some answers!..rediculous!

sorry this was so loooooooong!
>>>

The TL-S / The 540i
Old 03-13-2004, 07:36 AM
Bl@ck
Sinner

oh damn
Old 03-13-2004, 07:39 AM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

:eek3: with the vacuum pressure that an engine creates, it all makes sense that something like this would happen.

there could be issues with the install, but these products should be idiot proof before sent to market.
Old 03-13-2004, 07:39 AM
shivers
Moderator Alumni

The same thing happened to a guy I know. AEM claimed that there was a batch of defective bypass valves that went out.
Old 03-13-2004, 08:43 AM
Melt
the lone outdoorsman

aem products are pieces of shit .... first i hear about people sucking the sponges into the engines and now this.
Old 03-13-2004, 09:32 AM
strykernyc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh man at least u k, i think i would sue aem and get all ur money back u waste on repairs etc.. u could it have kill someone if not urself, nice story anyway good thing u were not on the highway with traffic. gj on the e-brake
Old 03-13-2004, 09:45 AM
Bl@ck
Sinner

Originally Posted by strykernyc
oh man at least u k, i think i would sue aem and get all ur money back u waste on repairs etc.. u could it have kill someone if not urself, nice story anyway good thing u were not on the highway with traffic. gj on the e-brake

reading the first line of the post owns you

"This was cut and pasted from a cl.com members post. This is his experience, but its not an isolated one. "
Old 03-13-2004, 10:48 AM
Mr Hyde
Accord Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by /^Blackmagik^\
reading the first line of the post owns you

"This was cut and pasted from a cl.com members post. This is his experience, but its not an isolated one. "
LOL, I have a Comptech Icebox on my TL-S. No worries about busted parts getting sucked into the TB for me.

The TL-S / The 540i
Old 03-13-2004, 11:20 AM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

Originally Posted by Mr Hyde
LOL, I have a Comptech Icebox on my TL-S. No worries about busted parts getting sucked into the TB for me.
how do you like the icebox anyways?
Old 03-13-2004, 12:29 PM
BlueFang08
Still F22 Powered

Didn't they have a recall on the early bypass valves because of this?

Quick Reply: Warning to all AEM Bypass valve owners!!!