Notices

Comptech Icebox arrived and installed!

Old 07-29-2002, 08:29 PM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comptech Icebox arrived and installed!

The Icebox arrived as scheduled today and it took me about an hour to install it. Since I had already taken out my stock setup and resonator, it didn't take me that long. However, if you are getting this and still have the stock setup, it'll probably take your about 2 hours if you know what you are doing.

The Comptech Icebox's material is just like the OEM. Fit and finish is excellent. Alot of details were given to the overall smoothness for the airflow. All the inlet piece were rounded to give the best airflow. This Icebox is made for the Accord V6 and Mike B @ Comptech assured me it is the same for the regular TL. Well, he was almost right. The Icebox wil hit the back of the headlight housing. 1. You can either remove that plastic piece behind the headlight or 2. Not use the last screw in the front of the airbox. I chose 2 and even though I did not use the last screw, there's no way the Icebox will come loose because it is secured.

I took a 15 minute drive tonight. There's definitely better low-end, but to tell you the truth, I can't really tell the power difference between the Weapon-R shortram and the Comptech Icebox. I would've been happy with my Weapon-R shortram but I was getting tired of the intake noise. Everytime I go pass 3500 rpm, my car sounds like a motorcycle. I enjoyed the sound, but after 3 years and my Baby always try to fall asleep in the car, I needed something more quiet. I can't even hear any hiss anymore. I can actually hear my exhaust pass 3500 rpm instead of my intake. It is quiet all the way up to redline. Another reason why I got the Icebox is because come next year, my TL will be 4 years old and I will need to get a smog check. Weapon-R wasn't CARB approved, so I'll have a hard time passing smog and I didn't want to put the stock airbox back in.

Overal, I am happy with it. My engine bay looks stock again, which is what I want anyway. By the way, I am selling my Weapon-R shortram for $75 shipped. It is in good condition, all it needs is the filter needs to be cleaned. If you are interested, please email me at sam_suen@csaa.com For those of you whom are interested in the Comptech Icebox, I got it for $240 shipped from Dean Baty at Velocity Resources in Florida, you can email him at deansbluesi@yahoo.com or call him at 407-772-0070.

Right out of the box.

Installed.

Front of airbox touching headlight cover.

Another view installed.

Headers after 3 years.

Old setup.
Comptech Icebox, Headers, Exhaust, Lowering Springs and Sway Bars. Mugen front grille. Inspire tailamps. MOMO Sport 18 X 7.5 +42 offset. Axxis Metal Master front/rear pad. 2 Polk/MOMO 10" subs, Orion Xtreme 500.4 amplifier and Alpine CD changer.

Old 07-29-2002, 08:39 PM
1999TL

I will probably have to get that since I am sick of cleaning my filter. I could also live with a quieter cabin too. Good review. I will have to follow suit, LOL.
Old 07-29-2002, 08:42 PM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

Originally posted by 1999TL
I will probably have to get that since I am sick of cleaning my filter. I could also live with a quieter cabin too. Good review. I will have to follow suit, LOL.
It is much nicer having a quiet cabin again. You don't know how many times when I was trying to merge onto the freeway and kept it in 3rd, but when the RPM goes pass 3500rpm, it would roar and all the cars around thought I was racing them. But I am sure I will miss that sound too when I AM racing someone. Oh well.
Old 07-29-2002, 08:44 PM
1999TL

should have been a champ and done a b4 and after Dyno. Oh well, I have to get me a Mclaren intake.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/020724/dew037_1.html
Old 07-29-2002, 08:50 PM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

Originally posted by 1999TL
should have been a champ and done a b4 and after Dyno. Oh well, I have to get me a Mclaren intake.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/020724/dew037_1.html
I think Comptech Machine is difference than Comptech USA. Comptech Machine is at the Comptech site, but they mainly build racing engines for IRL and such. Even if MacLaren takes over Comptech Machine, I am pretty sure Comptech USA will remain unchange. But who knows.....
Old 07-29-2002, 09:16 PM
Mstyle

From your post I take it that it doesn't make any noise....
Old 07-29-2002, 09:22 PM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

Originally posted by Mstyle
From your post I take it that it doesn't make any noise....
I can't really compare it to the stock setup since it's been 3 years. But compared to the shortram, it is pretty silent and you don't get the roar anymore.
Comptech Icebox, Headers, Exhaust, Lowering Springs and Sway Bars. Mugen front grille. Inspire tailamps. MOMO Sport 18 X 7.5 +42 offset. Axxis Metal Master front/rear pad. 2 Polk/MOMO 10" subs, Orion Xtreme 500.4 amplifier and Alpine CD changer.

Old 07-29-2002, 09:27 PM
Mstyle

Damm... It looks nice and stock..I was thinking of getting the InJen with AEM bypass valve...

I kinda like the sound...Sometimes...

What is up with acura-tl...No links...Since when?
Old 07-29-2002, 09:41 PM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

Originally posted by Mstyle
Damm... It looks nice and stock..I was thinking of getting the InJen with AEM bypass valve...

I kinda like the sound...Sometimes...

What is up with acura-tl...No links...Since when?
I have no idea but I hope the members over there get a chance to read my review. Just want to help out fellow TL members.
Old 07-30-2002, 07:30 AM
jcgohan326

the CT Icebox won't fit the 2002 TL-S rite??

guess i'm gonna hafta settle for the Injen CAI...

Quick Reply: Comptech Icebox arrived and installed!