Honda tech/eprom hackr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice to see a "good" story for once.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:29 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BruceF
I purchased my 2000 TL new and it has been the best car Ive ever owned. At 94,000 miles I began to notice symptoms and after making an appointment my TL limed into the dealership one week latter. They gave me a new Acura (500 miles on it) to use while they replaced my tranny, PCM etc.

This is the first instance of trouble with my Acura except for an annoying air bag warnting light for the passenger side which it took severla times to get a fix in that worked.

My car and my dealship are great (Buerkle Acura). Always curteous and they seem to go out of ther way to keep me happy even though I dont spend a lot for sheducled maint except for the big items (I do oil changes, brake pads, plugs, lights etc myself and let them do the tranny and major engine work (just had them do the belts and water pump etc)

I once told them that I refilled the tank to the top on their loaner (where it was when i picked it up). I was told that this was never expected and to leave it empty next time if i liked.

lll go back to acura and the dealership again. Besides being the most reliable car ive ever owned the thing just drives like its glued to the road. I never drive agressively since its stupid to push any mechanical device to its operational limits unnecessarily.

I bought my wife a toyota highlander and im sure its a fine car but frankly the road handling scares me after getting out of my acura.

Will I get 94,000 miles out of the new tranny as well?
Great story, glad you like your car so much. My tranny (same one as yours basically) has 145k on it and she's starting to get pretty bad symptoms. But I can't complain much, NOTHING else on the car has gone wrong.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:57 AM
asianthug_ak47

My dealership isn't very cool. My extended warranty (service contract) includes Free oil change service, but the dealership claims that it is part of the service. At least the service girl is super hot.

My dad's Acura gave him no problem even after way over 300k miles. The dealership, Bradley Acura of Woodbridge VA, is the only place he goes for service. He drives 76 miles for a 25 dollars oil change.

Lexus has the best customer service, but the Toyota dealership around here is full of crooks and thieves. I was suppose to get a MR2 and ended up getting an Accord instead. My first love is a 02 (the last one) Prelude, but there was none left any where around here so I went for an MR2. They gave me nothing but trouble, so I went to Honda and got a Accord for a good deal. 2dr Coupe actually looks like a Prelude.

My wife is pissed at me now since she likes small cars and the Accord is too big. Now I got to save up for a Miata, which is as gay as it gets.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:26 PM
acguy

I went to trade in my 01 CL yesterday. Offered 11K for it, and it is perfect with low mileage(all options except nav). Needless to say, I left, and declined the great offer. Driving home, heavy tranny vibration, and nice ole fluid leak around the drivers axle when I go home. So, what do we have? We have heavy depreciated value, combined with mechanical failure. Nice! I should part it out on ebay......
Old 01-24-2005, 01:40 PM
lordvader
TL/Accord Seeker

Default Nervous

I am getting more and more nervous with regards to the purchase of a 1998-2003 TL. I test drove a 1999 last year which was only $14,999. It had every toy available except for the stock spoiler. I loved the car. The 40 minutes total time I spent in the car made me feel like I was the envy of everyone that drove by. I am sure that was not the case since there is an abundance of much nicer more expensive vehicles, but I am speaking for myself. The feel of the leather wrapped around my butt, the smooth wood on the steering wheel and gear shift, and the brilliant glow of the speedometer at night was unforgettable. I want one.

HOWEVER, after reading complaint after complaint after complaint about what a rotten transmission this generation TL has, I may be shying away. When I do purchase my luxury car, it is going to be a 5-year commitment. Simply stated, I will not be able to afford to pay $2k or $3k to have the transmission fixed AND continue to make monthly payments on a car that does not run.

I need advice. How on earth can I get this dream car of mine into my driveway, along with the assurance that it will get me to work in the morning, and even more importantly, back home? Is there an Acura-Only Used Car Dealership that will stand by their cars, even the ones that are 4 or 5 years old?
Old 01-24-2005, 02:55 PM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

I've had my TL for almost 6 years, no problems whatsoever. When you read online forums, of course you will read those with problems. Plus, the car comes with a 100K mile warranty for the tranny so you don't have to worry about it. As long as you keep up basic maintenance and don't abuse it, you should be fine.
Comptech Icebox, Headers, Exhaust, Lowering Springs and Sway Bars. Mugen front grille. Inspire tailamps. MOMO Sport 18 X 7.5 +42 offset. Axxis Metal Master front/rear pad. 2 Polk/MOMO 10" subs, Orion Xtreme 500.4 amplifier and Alpine CD changer.

Old 01-25-2005, 10:25 AM
lordvader
TL/Accord Seeker

Default Hey Acura TL

Are you saying that Acura backs the 1998-2003 TL, regardless of whether or not it is purchased used? So if I purchase one from a non-Acura dealer, and the tranny goes bad on it at 80k miles, I can go to any ACURA dealer and say, 'I have a bad transmission. Please fix it.' Even though I did not purchase the vehicle from an Acura dealer? In other words, the tranny warranty follows the CAR no matter where it is purchased?
Old 01-25-2005, 11:42 AM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

To the best of my knowledge, yes. But it is best to check with Acura themself before buying the vehicle. By the way, the 2nd generation TL is from 1999 to 2003.
Comptech Icebox, Headers, Exhaust, Lowering Springs and Sway Bars. Mugen front grille. Inspire tailamps. MOMO Sport 18 X 7.5 +42 offset. Axxis Metal Master front/rear pad. 2 Polk/MOMO 10" subs, Orion Xtreme 500.4 amplifier and Alpine CD changer.

Old 01-25-2005, 11:59 AM
lordvader
TL/Accord Seeker

Default Mistake

Oh, my fault. I did mean the 1999 to 2003. Thanks for the correction. Would you mind reading and responding to my TL versus CL post? You seem to know a lot about these vehicles.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:20 AM
acutee

Default Faulty Transmission

I am sure all of us want the transmission problem TO BE FIXED, not just extended the warranty. Extended warranty is just a trick in a way of not fixing the problem. Even if the vehicle is over 100k or out of warranty. THIS IS NOT ABOUT WARRANTY REPAIR. They should fix this KNOWN PROBLEM at any time when it occurs because the problem was never fixed in the first place. Or they should fix it correctly now and don't extend the warranty. Do you all think they would extend the warranty if there is no problem? I don't think so. Extended warranty is a smart way to get consumers pay for (Honda/Acura) manufacturer's problem when they call it OUT OF WARRANTY. Remember, warranty fixes any unexpected problems, NOT KNOWN PRROBLEMS. Known problems are considered "DEFECTIVE MATERIAL WORKMANSHIP" and SHOULD BE FIXED PROPERLY regardless of warranty.

My point of view that they told us 1.6% have problem is to fool us. It is 100% problem, but they can't admit it unless they want to close down the business. However, they figured how many owners are really utilizing the vehicles to the vehicles' full extend and vehicles' ability that these vehicles were built for. Take one example, some of us don't even dare to use the Sport Shift anymore to avoid transmission problem. I am sure some of those owners who are really taking care of their vehicles, don't drive over 75mph, only speed up gratually to not hurt the engine, drive 35 mph in surface streets, such and such, will be regreted when it's time for the known problems to show. And it is too bad your cars are now not under warranty. over 7years or over 100k or voided by accident.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:03 AM
pewterpirate

The transmission in my 1999 CL 3.0 went last year. I've bought Honda products for years and never buy the extended warrenty. However, I did puchase the extended warrenty at the time of purchase (1999) for the car as I planned on keeping it for at least 10 years. They replaced the transmission for the cost of the copay ($50.00?). However, I believe with all the problems identified with the transmissions they should replace regardless if the car is covered under warranty or not.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:14 AM
acurarobert

Default Update on 3.2 tranny /brake problems

It is March 2005. I just bought a 2002 3.2 TL, from an Acura dealer as a Certified pre-owned. Onto the highway and ta-da! The transmission problem and warped brake rotors are obvious. "Certified"? a joke. They never even test drove it, let alone fix it. I specifically asked if :Certified" meant all outstanding known problems were taken care of. Answer, an emphatic "yes sir". Forget breach of contract. How about fraud?

So, how are things as of of March 2005? Are the fixes better? I have read all your folks' prior threads.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:26 AM
acurarobert

It is March 2005. I just bought a 2002 3.2 TL, from an Acura dealer as a Certified pre-owned. Onto the highway and ta-da! The transmission problem and warped brake rotors are obvious. "Certified"? a joke. They never even test drove it, let alone fix it. I specifically asked if :Certified" meant all outstanding known problems were taken care of. Answer, an emphatic "yes sir". Forget breach of contract. How about fraud?

So, how are things as of of March 2005? Are the fixes better? I have read all your folks' prior threa
Old 03-07-2005, 02:30 PM
hondatech
Honda tech/eprom hackr

certified doesn't mean it's never going to break.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:37 PM
acurarobert

Understood. But this was defective off the lot.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:45 AM
2003CL

Default 2003CL's Tranny died yesterday

This is my first foray on this site. This thread has been most illuminating as my previously flawless 2003 CL decided to become a bucking bronco yesterday when I kicked it down to pass on the highway. It felt like it went into a lower gear with RPMs up around 6K, but it went back into an appropriate gear immediately when I reflexively let up on the acclerator.

I called the Ferman Acura dealer here in Tampa and told them I was bringing it in for transmission problems. Ten minutes after I arrived I was out the door with a free TL loaner. Kudos to them .

The tranny failed at 45335 miles. They say getting a new one takes 3-5 days.

Ten days earlier, I had the 45K service done. This included the EGR service. I then noticed that the shift from 2d to 3d slipped a little, but otherwise no problem. I figured I'd have them adjust it in a couple of months at 48K when I had the oil changed...

So, as I understand all of this (and thank you AcuraTech and others...) the replacement will incorporate improvements that might decrease the odds of premature failure, and they will warranty the tranny for 7 years/100K.

I have two questions:

Could there be a connection between the EGR service and the subsequent slippage>failure?

Also: I do occasionally use the SportShift. I know that the more you use a clutch, the quicker it has to be replaced, but has a causal relationship between use of the SportShift and tranny failure been established by something other than anecdote?

Thanks for any additional info you might offer.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:10 PM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

The EGR has nothing to do with the tranny. Also, I don't believe the sportshift has anything to do with it as I used it 99% of the time and mine is still fine after close to 6 years.

Old 03-23-2005, 03:09 AM
2003CL

Thanks, AcuraTL. I really have liked the CL, and I tend to keep cars well into six digits on the odometer. I saw on some posts (either here or at acl.com or where ever my surfing brought me..) that they might replace the tranny and give a 12m/12k warranty on it instead of the 7yr/100k. That will affect whether a new car is in my cards this year...

Thanks again

Last edited by AcuraTL; 03-23-2005 at 05:04 AM.
Old 03-23-2005, 05:05 AM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

I haven't heard about the 12m/12k warranty yet so it might be a myth. Unless someone on here has a letter from Acura stating so?

Old 03-23-2005, 05:51 AM
2003CL

I just got off the phone with Acura (800-382-2238) and spoke with a customer rep. After telling him that my transmission had failed, he asked me for my VIN. He then advised me that my car had a warranty of 4 years, 50,000 miles--there was no extension of warranty. I mentioned that internet websites had made reference to warranty extensions, and his reply was "That's the internet. I am telling you your warranty is 4yrs/50K." I thanked him for his time. I then called the dealer who said that the 2003 CLs had relatively few transmission problems and that depending on the VIN, there may or may not be an extension of the warranty, but that they viewed this on a case-by-case basis. He would get back to me...

Developing...
Old 03-23-2005, 02:45 PM
2003CL

Less than 48 hours after I brought it in, the CL is back on the road with the replacement transmission. According to the service advisor, all the updates to the transmission have been included in the replacement. The service at Ferman Acura has been exemplary. I could not ask for better!

As far as the extended warranty goes, Service Bulletin 02-027 dated 1/21/05 titled Warranty Extension : 3.2TL and 3.2CL Automatic Transmission (supercedes 02-027 dated 9/15/03) states that
ALL 1999-2002 TLs (inc. Type S) and
ALL 2001-2002 CL's (inc. Type S) are covered for 7 years/100K.

The 2003 model year coverage is dependent on the VIN, model and type.
And for all CLs: From VIN 19UYA42...3A00001 thru 19UYA42...005203.

...And where is my VIN? Well, the car was built in 8/02, so it's an early 2003. But not early enough because I am about 3800 after 5203!

So I have less than 5K miles left on my warranty. I guess this means Acura has great confidence in their updated transmission. But the real question is:

Do I? :thinking:
Old 03-23-2005, 10:38 PM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

Originally Posted by 2003CL
Less than 48 hours after I brought it in, the CL is back on the road with the replacement transmission. According to the service advisor, all the updates to the transmission have been included in the replacement. The service at Ferman Acura has been exemplary. I could not ask for better!

As far as the extended warranty goes, Service Bulletin 02-027 dated 1/21/05 titled Warranty Extension : 3.2TL and 3.2CL Automatic Transmission (supercedes 02-027 dated 9/15/03) states that

...And where is my VIN? Well, the car was built in 8/02, so it's an early 2003. But not early enough because I am about 3800 after 5203!

So I have less than 5K miles left on my warranty. I guess this means Acura has great confidence in their updated transmission. But the real question is:

Good to know that you got your tranny replaced. I am sure it will last....at least I hope it will for you.

Old 03-29-2005, 07:55 AM
visator

Default Replace TCM & Fuel Pressure Regulator?...Not!

On 08-29-2003, 03:13 AM, hondatech wrote:

disgruntled acura tech

while most of your comments are correct, Do you ppl with the tranmissions over 30k doing the maintance? I work at an acura dealership as a tech and see tons of them come in with dark as hell trans fluid. The problem in my opinion is that the transmissions were designed for the 3.0l engines and/or are not designed for the output of the 3.2l and 3.5l engines. Now acura is saying it's a 3rd gear clutch pack problem and they reduced the labor time on replacement, ****ers! anyways, I say this because when you replace the trans Honda makes you replace the tcm and sometimes the fuel pressure reg as well. I had customers come back complianting it lacks power after a trans replacement. The shift points are relaxed in the new tcm and the fuel pressure is lowered. hint hint. go figure

<https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21495&highlight=3.2.>
Can a transmission be replaced by a dealer without having to the "replace the TCM and the fuel pressure reg"...?

If not, can a replacement transmission be supplied by a dealer and installed by an independent?
Old 04-05-2005, 12:22 PM
flyclt

Default Question for the Acura Techs

Hey Guys,
I own a 1999 3.2TL with just under 69000 miles. Yesteday, while driving the "Check Engine" light and the "TCS" light both illuminated with a slight jerk. I pulled the car off the road into a rest stop (interstate), and turned it off and checked the Owner's Manual. The "Check Engine" light referred to a possible emmissions issue or a loose gas cap and the "TCS" light was a traction control advisory. I ensured the cap was tight. When I restarted the "TCS" light went out. After about 15 min back on the interstate (Engine Light on) the "TCS" light again illuminated.

Each time I turn the car off and restart the "TCS" light resets. Any ideas? I live about 3 hours to the closest Acura dealer. I'm in SW Louisiana. If it's just an emmission issue, my local mechanic could probably handle it. Thank you for your responses in advance.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:35 PM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

Originally Posted by flyclt
Hey Guys,
I own a 1999 3.2TL with just under 69000 miles. Yesteday, while driving the "Check Engine" light and the "TCS" light both illuminated with a slight jerk. I pulled the car off the road into a rest stop (interstate), and turned it off and checked the Owner's Manual. The "Check Engine" light referred to a possible emmissions issue or a loose gas cap and the "TCS" light was a traction control advisory. I ensured the cap was tight. When I restarted the "TCS" light went out. After about 15 min back on the interstate (Engine Light on) the "TCS" light again illuminated.

Each time I turn the car off and restart the "TCS" light resets. Any ideas? I live about 3 hours to the closest Acura dealer. I'm in SW Louisiana. If it's just an emmission issue, my local mechanic could probably handle it. Thank you for your responses in advance.
Usually, when both Engine light and TCS light come on at the same time, it pretty much means your tranny might be on its last leg. Does your tranny shift fine of is it different? You should definitely give your closest Acura dealer a call and explain to them your problem, you might have to make that 3 hour drive or better yet, make them tow your vehicle there as it might not be safe to drive.

Old 04-12-2005, 07:58 AM
flyclt

Default 1999 Xmsn

Well, I called Orr Acura in Shreveport, LA. They weren't surprised at all about another transmission issue. Apparently, they've done two others so far this week. The scheduler said it was pretty much a typical flow. It's a shame really, as I absolutely enjoy my car. It is a driver's car in just about every aspect, except for this xmsn issue. I hope this fixes it. Thanks for your advice! Oh and for the record, I don't use the manual shift (too old for that excitement, LOL), I put it in Drive and go.
Old 04-12-2005, 03:07 PM
Esco5710

I've read mostly all of these posts and I'm starting to get a little worried.. I just bought an 05 TL.. Since the arguments on this thread have all mentioned older CL/ TLs , I'm assuming I shouldn't have anything to worry about? Is there a site, # I can go now or down the line to check for recalls, etc.??

Thanks!
Old 04-12-2005, 10:28 PM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

Originally Posted by Esco5710
I've read mostly all of these posts and I'm starting to get a little worried.. I just bought an 05 TL.. Since the arguments on this thread have all mentioned older CL/ TLs , I'm assuming I shouldn't have anything to worry about? Is there a site, # I can go now or down the line to check for recalls, etc.??

Thanks!
Go to www.acura.com and register your car at their site and they will notify you when there is a recall.

Old 04-17-2005, 03:50 AM
flyclt

Default Yep, it's a bad XMSN

Well, the advice I got here was right on the money! Thank you!!! I drove my car up to Orr Acura in Shreveport. Sure enough, XMSN codes showed up in the shop and test drive confirmed. They ordered me a replacement, all covered under the extended warranty program. And, they're picking up the tab on a rental (Cadillac SRX). I gotta tell you, if it was a Ford or Chevy, I'd be paying for the rental and probably a good portion (if not all) of the labor. I should get my car back this Wednesday or Thursday. I'll post the results here. So far I'm pleased.

Thanks again for the advice and the website.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:27 PM
prelude97

acurarobert: Yes certified is a joke! I purchased an 2002 Certified MDX and that same night the Check Engline came on. And while I test drove it the SRS light was on - didn't worry much because it had a few months remaining under warranty. In addtion the emgr. parking brake froze and I almost had to have the car towed. All these items (except for the Check Engine) are on their 150 point inspection.

This is what they are supposed to check: http://www.acura.com/preowned/pre_cert_mech.asp

Fortunately I was able to return the MDX for other reasons.

BTW, I am still looking for a car and seriously looking into a 2002 tl type s, w/ 41k miles. Will check it out tomorrow but after reading all this stuff (very useful) I may just forget about buying it. Sure it's under the 7y/100k extention but I'm not sure I'd want to worry about it.

Last edited by AcuraTL; 05-04-2005 at 09:38 PM. Reason: no referral links to other car forums
Old 05-05-2005, 10:11 AM
prelude97

Another comment: 1.6% is definately low. Per Consumer Reports Used Car Reviews Spring 2005, the TL 2001/2002 and CL 2002, transmission show a 1/2 black circle. 1/2 black indicates 9.3-14.8% owners have had "trouble" with it.

The CL 2001 has a full blck circle. 14.8%+
Old 06-24-2005, 06:56 PM
alakshma

Folks

This is a very informative forum.

I have a 2002 TL 42K miles on it. My 4 yr warranty just expired on June 13th 2005.

I have been noticing some slight jerk in upshift (2->3) for sometime. Today I noticed a really sharp jerk. Could this be related to the transmission problems this thread has been talking about.

Do I qualify for the 7 yr warranty or does it depend on the VIN number. I read somewhere that all 2002 TL's qualify. Is that true.

Time to give the dealer a visit, right? What do you guys think?

Thanks
alakshma
Old 06-24-2005, 08:00 PM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

Originally Posted by alakshma
Folks

This is a very informative forum.

I have a 2002 TL 42K miles on it. My 4 yr warranty just expired on June 13th 2005.

I have been noticing some slight jerk in upshift (2->3) for sometime. Today I noticed a really sharp jerk. Could this be related to the transmission problems this thread has been talking about.

Do I qualify for the 7 yr warranty or does it depend on the VIN number. I read somewhere that all 2002 TL's qualify. Is that true.

Time to give the dealer a visit, right? What do you guys think?

Thanks
alakshma
Your problem does sound like the tranny is going. Do you have any warning indicator lights on? Best thing to do is call your dealership and ask if your vehicle is covered on the 7yr warranty. Also explain to them your situation and I am sure even if yours is not covered, they will contact Acura directly and will take care of you. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Old 06-24-2005, 08:31 PM
alakshma

Thanks for your advice. I will contact the dealer and keep you posted.

Originally Posted by AcuraTL
Your problem does sound like the tranny is going. Do you have any warning indicator lights on? Best thing to do is call your dealership and ask if your vehicle is covered on the 7yr warranty. Also explain to them your situation and I am sure even if yours is not covered, they will contact Acura directly and will take care of you. Good luck. Keep us posted.
Old 06-25-2005, 05:49 AM
alakshma

Btw, Mod AcuraTL. I noticed that you are from the Bay Area too (as am I). Do you have a recommendation for an easy-to-deal-with dealer around here. I am in the South Bay but I do not mind travelling a bit if they do give a replacement car.

Originally Posted by AcuraTL
Old 06-25-2005, 11:37 AM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

Originally Posted by alakshma
Btw, Mod AcuraTL. I noticed that you are from the Bay Area too (as am I). Do you have a recommendation for an easy-to-deal-with dealer around here. I am in the South Bay but I do not mind travelling a bit if they do give a replacement car.
I've had great service from Hopkins Acura in Redwood City and Los Gatos Acura when I used to work in San Jose.

Old 01-22-2006, 03:49 PM
Z1/CL

The next few days should be VERY interesting for me. Tomorrow (Monday) I pick up my 2001 CL-S automatic; Acura Certified.
Because of what I do for a living, I've become friends with the GM and used car sales manager at Acura of Memphis. I've driven the car (it has 60k miles on the clock) and everything seemed fine.
Anyway, I'm looking forward to having many trouble-free miles on my CL. The car ROCKS!
Jim
Old 04-04-2006, 03:11 PM
dv8
Legend Master

So i'm buying a 01' CL-S on friday, its got 44k on it and has a 100k warranty on the trans. Am i to assume that the trans was replaced?

What are the odds of the problem happening again even after the fix/replacment?

Thanks

~Dv8
Old 04-04-2006, 03:12 PM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

Originally Posted by dv8
So i'm buying a 01' CL-S on friday, its got 44k on it and has a 100k warranty on the trans. Am i to assume that the trans was replaced?

What are the odds of the problem happening again even after the fix/replacment?

Thanks

~Dv8
No, you will have to ask if the tranny was replaced or not.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:53 PM
2003CL

Originally Posted by 2003CL

UPDATE 4/23/07: At the risk of jinksing the transmission, three-plus years and 50k miles later, the replacement transmission is doing fine! So is the rest of the car. At 95743 miles the CL has its third set of Michelin's. It's been dealer-maintained and seems to run as well today as the day I bought it. Aside from some wind-burn on the front, it looks almost as good, too!

Last edited by 2003CL; 04-23-2008 at 01:54 PM. Reason: modifiers

Quick Reply: Honda/Acura V6 Tranny Warranty Extended