Notices

Creaky Clutch & Trouble getting into 1st

Old 09-13-2002, 12:30 AM
Dedalus2k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creaky Clutch & Trouble getting into 1st

All right...here's the deal...
A couple months or so ago I started having occasional trouble putting the car into first from a stop. Got worse for a while, then evened out to about every forth or fifth time. If I down shift properly when coming to a stop it rarely happens. I replaced the master (which was shot - as a lovely stain on the carpet can testify) and the slave when that didn't fix that problem. But I still have it, though not as often. A couple people on this forum suggested the syncros are going, but I talked to the head mechanic at a local dealership and he said that if it were the syncros I'd be feeling something similar in all the gears. Now it has started to worsen again, with the addition of a creaky feeling in the clutch as the pedal nears the floor when I've been running it hot in stop and go traffic. It's a new clutch, Exedy Organic racing clutch, with about 10,000 miles on it. Is the creaking related to the difficulty getting it into gear?
Any help would be most appreciated!!!
Thanks!
Old 09-13-2002, 07:05 AM
g2tegls
MR, ftw

Default Re: Creaky Clutch & Trouble getting into 1st

Originally posted by Dedalus2k
A couple people on this forum suggested the syncros are going, but I talked to the head mechanic at a local dealership and he said that if it were the syncros I'd be feeling something similar in all the gears.
I don't really know the answer to your problem but I'm pretty sure there are seperate synchros for every gear. Or at least every couple gears. I don't wanna spread "misinformation" so can anyone verify this? thx
Old 09-13-2002, 10:34 AM
JEFFOS69

I think the creaking is due to the fact where the clutch was put in they just didnt grease the release fork - which isnt a problem it will just creak a bit. (well thats my opinion on the situation of the creaking) My clutch is creakey all the time and its damn annoying.
Old 09-18-2002, 09:47 AM
fidracer

every gear has dedicated syncros. so it is possible to wear out syncros in 1st gear only. that could be the problem, but it would be constant i would think (not come and go).
Old 09-18-2002, 10:07 AM
Dedalus2k

Default dedicated syncros

Yeah, did a little research and found that out...but yeah you'd expect it to be constant. Sometimes it's smooth as butta other times it just won't go in at all and I have to pull it into second then back into first. Damn I wish I could figure this out before I drop the several hundred to have them open up the tranny.
Old 09-18-2002, 10:20 AM
ur31337
Colby

That happens to me and my friends as well. I've found if you throw it into 2nd, then up into first it's no problem.
Old 10-02-2002, 02:41 PM
AcuraFiend

ive had the same prob since i got my car. Its my understanding that this is pretty common with tegs/civics. i just put it in neutral let the clutch out, blip the throttle and it pops right in. Let me know what you find out, im curious
Old 10-02-2002, 02:54 PM
newgsrdriver

I just let up the clutch, push back down and pop it into first again, works 99.9% of the time.

As for the squeak, first thing to do is get under the dash and start spraying the lubricant (WD40) of your choice on all the moving parts.

Second, pull back the rubber boot on your slave cylinder, and lube up the rod in there as well. The squeak should go away then.
Old 10-02-2002, 04:03 PM
AcuraFiend

Originally posted by newgsrdriver
I just let up the clutch, push back down and pop it into first again, works 99.9% of the time.

As for the squeak, first thing to do is get under the dash and start spraying the lubricant (WD40) of your choice on all the moving parts.

Second, pull back the rubber boot on your slave cylinder, and lube up the rod in there as well. The squeak should go away then.
...temporarily. and use a lubricant(WD40 is more for cleaning)
Old 10-02-2002, 04:29 PM
dubcac
I

First gear and reverse don't have synchros, thats why it's difficult to get into them sometimes. As for a creaky clutch, it could be your throwout bearing.

Quick Reply: Creaky Clutch & Trouble getting into 1st